Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/7/14
Daytona won in extras, while Mesa salvaged a split Thursday. Iowa, Kane County and Boise were all handed losses, and Tennessee had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (63-57)
1st Place (+0.5)
Iowa lost at Oklahoma City, 16-4, after surrendering seven runs in the first two innings.
- DH Manny Ramirez (.211) doubled (1) and homered (2) in four at-bats, knocking in two (6). It was
his third multihit game and first game with two extra-base hits.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.323) launched his 37th homer and walked twice. His 37 homers tie Joey Gallo for
the minor league lead. Despite having played just 47 of Iowa’s 120 games, Bryant has the second
most homers of all Iowa players this season (15) and the fourth-most RBI (38).
Daytona Cubs (27-17)
1st Place (+4.5)
Two big innings—a six-run second and a seven-run fifth—helped Daytona rout the Threshers in Clearwater, 18-2.
- RHP Tayler Scott fanned seven over seven innings, giving up two earned runs in the win.
- LF Kyle Schwarber (.268) finished 3-for-4 with three runs, two walks, a homer and three RBI (14).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.283) and DH Billy McKinney (.330) added three singles apiece.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.269) hit a three-run homer with two out in the fifth inning. It was his eighth
homer in 177 at-bats since the All-Star break after hitting five in 221 at-bats before the break.
- RF Rock Shoulders (.221) led off the third inning with his 10th home run. He has also drawn five free passes in
his last two games.
Kane County Cougars (27-19)
T-1st Place (–)
Cedar Rapids beat the Cougars, 4-3, in 11 innings, on a walk-off double from Kernels 3B Bryan Haar.
- RHP Duane Underwood struck out seven in six innings, giving up one earned run.
- 2B Chesny Young (.409) finished 2-for-5 with his third double since joining the Cougars, and one RBI
(4). He has an eight-game hitting streak (.441/15-for-34), including multiple hits in each of his last
five games (.524/11-for-21).
- LF Shawon Dunston (.280, 6 3B) and C Victor Caratini (.263, 1 3B) each tripled. Dunston’s six triples
lead the team.
- RHP David Garner (5.79) allowed two runs over 1.2 innings to blow his first save.
- RHP Francisco Carrillo (0-1, 18.00) allowed the game-winner without retiring a batter to suffer his first loss.
Boise Hawks (6-8)
4th Place (-4.0)
Boise dropped the series opener at Salem-Keizer, 9-5.
- C Mark Zagunis (.308) belted a two-run shot in the seventh to cut a 6-2 deficit in half. It marked
Zagunis’ sixth multi-RBI game of the season.
- Starting 2B David Bote (.347) went 3-for-5 and scored two runs. Bote has posted multiple hits in
eight of his 20 games with Boise this year.
- SS Bryant Flete (.326) went 2-for-4 with a double (2) and an RBI (6). He has five multihit efforts in
his last seven games (.462/ 12-for-26).
Mesa Cubs First Half: (13-14), Second Half: (3-4)
4th Place (-5.5)
GAME 1: In the makeup of a rained-out July 3 contest at the AZL Padres’ Peoria Stadium, Mesa fell, 5-3. The loss finalized the club’s first-half record at 13-14.
- LF Varonex Cuevas hit two doubles in two at-bats, while DH Kevonte Mitchell singled twice and stole two bases.
- LHP Jose Paulino (2.2 IP, 3 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 1 SO) suffered the loss.
GAME 2: Mesa took a 4-1 decision over the Padres in the second game at Peoria Stadium.
- LF Ricardo Marcano (.280) went 2-for-3 with a double (7) to extend his hitting streak to 16 games
dating back to July 9 (.328/20-for-61).
- CF Kevonte Mitchell (.333) tallied three singles for his third three-hit game of the campaign.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.351) finished 2-for-3 with a run, a walk, his first double and an RBI (6). After
recording three extra-base hits in his first 12 games with Mesa, he has tallied three more in his last
- RHP Tanner Griggs (1-1, 4.26) tossed 2.1 scoreless frames and fanned five for his first win.
- LHP Jordan Minch (10.13) allowed one run over two innings for his first save in his second professional