Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/12/14
All three teams in action Monday picked up victories, with Iowa pitching a shutout, Boise putting up a big run total and quality pitching pacing Mesa. Tennessee, Daytona and Kane County were all off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (66-58)
1st Place (+1.0)
Iowa recorded the team’s 13th shutout of the season with a 3-0 victory over host Oklahoma City. The 13 shutouts lead the PCL and tie an Iowa Cubs franchise record (also done in 1985).
- RHP Dan Straily gave up two hits and no earned runs in six innings of action, striking out four in the win.
- RF Jorge Soler (.305) extended his hitting streak to six games, going 1-for-4 with his eighth double of the Triple-A season. Soler is 9-for-22 (.409) with four doubles in the six-game stretch.
- LF Josh Vitters (.216) went 2-for-4 with a run scored. He has hit in eight of his last nine games, going 12-for-38 (.316).
- CF Matt Szczur (.256) went 2-for-4, knocking in his 23rd run.
- LHP Zac Rosscup (2.33) and RHP Armando Rivero (1.61) each pitched a scoreless inning to earn holds.
- RHP Blake Parker (1.19) tossed a scoreless ninth to notch his league-best 23rd save.
Boise Hawks (8-10)
4th Place (-4.0)
Boise scored double-digit runs for the second-straight game, beating visiting Eugene, 11-6.
- 1B Danny Canela (.309) went a perfect 3-for-3 with two runs, a walk, his sixth homer and four RBI (38). He has five hits and six RBI in his last two games.
- 2B Bryant Flete (.333) went 3-for-4 with two runs and a double (3).
- LF Calvin Graves (.226) tallied two hits, including his first triple, and knocked in three (6).
- C Mark Zagunis (.306) recorded his second-straight two-hit game.
- RHP Brad Markey (1-0, 3.00) threw two innings and allowed one earned run, earning his first win in relief.
Mesa Cubs (5-7)
4th Place (-4.5)
Mesa’s six extra-base hits and a quality start from LHP Jose Paulino helped the Cubs defeat the AZL Rangers at home, 8-1.
- Paulino gave up two hits and struck out six over six scoreless innings to pick up the win.
- CF Kevonte Mitchell (.324, 2 3B), DH Yasiel Balaguert (.200, 1 3B) and 2B Ho-Young Son (.300, 1 3B) each tripled for the Cubs. Son’s three RBI bring his season total to nine.
- 3B Adonis Paula (.260, 5 2B), C Tyler Pearson (.189, 1 2B) and Mitchell (.324, 1 2B) added one double apiece.
- Each Cubs hitter recorded at least one hit, with five of the nine turning in multihit efforts.