Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/13/14
One of the Cubs top prospects gave Tennessee a walk-off win, and Kane County kept its winning streak alive Wednesday. Iowa and Boise both lost, and Mesa dropped both sides of a doubleheader. Daytona had a scheduled day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (66-60)
T-1st Place (–)
Despite outhitting the 51s 10-7, the I-Cubs fell to Las Vegas at home by a final score of 6-4.
- 1B Mike Olt (.329) homered in the second inning. He has hit in five of his last six games, going 8-for-23 (.348) with a double, four homers and eight RBI.
- CF Matt Szczur (.257) went 2-for-5 to extend his hitting streak to five games (.333/7-for-21) and knocked in his 24th run.
- LF Josh Vitters (.219) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk.
Tennessee Smokies (26-26)
T-1st Place (–)
After surrendering a four-run lead to visiting Huntsville, Tennessee won 6-5 on a walk-off, pinch-hit double from Albert Almora in the bottom of the ninth inning.
- RHP Corey Black gave up one earned run over five innings, striking out six.
- Almora’s two-bagger (3) was the sixth Smokies double of the night. 1B Charles Cutler (.310, 12 2B), LF Lars Anderson (.356, 6 2B), RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.211, 3 2B), CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.227, 16 2B) and 2B Stephen Bruno (.270, 25 2B) all doubled as well.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.223) finished 3-for-5 with the double and two RBI (44). In his last three games, Ha is 7-for-14 (.500) with two doubles, a homer and four RBI.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (10-6, 3.71) pitched 1.1 innings of scoreless relief to earn his 10th win.
Kane County Cougars (31-20)
1st Place (+1.0)
Kane County won its third-straight contest with a 6-4 victory over visiting Quad Cities.
- C Ben Carhart (.269) posted his second-consecutive two-hit game, including his fifth homer, a two-run shot to put the Cougars on the board in the first inning.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.279) singled and drove in two runs (7). Since going 0-for-9 in his first three games with Kane County, Baez has posted a .327 average (17-for-52) in 14 games.
- 2B Danny Lockhart (.288) hit his second triple in four games after failing to triple in his first 69 contests.
- LHP Michael Heesch (3-1, 2.94) struck out four over three perfect frames to earn his third win.
- RHP Francisco Carrillo (3.00) earned his second save in five games with the Cougars.
Boise Hawks (9-11)
T-3rd Place (-5.0)
After being no-hit through 9.1 innings, Boise lost 1-0 on a walk-off walk with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 10th at Hillsboro.
- 2B David Bote (.319) tallied his eighth double of the season with one out in the 10th inning to break up the no-hitter.
- RHP Joshua Conway (3 IP, 3 K, 2.60 ERA), RHP Ryan Williams (1.93) and RHP James Farris (4.50) combined to allow just one Hillsboro hit through nine innings of work and struck out 13.
- RHP Corbin Hoffner (0-1, 6.75) took over in the 10th and suffered the loss, allowing one run on a hit and three free passes.
Mesa Cubs (5-9)
4th Place (-6.5)
GAME 1: The AZL Indians and Cubs took a tie game into the seventh, when the Indians scored three to top host Mesa, 6-4.
- With a 1-for-4 effort, 2B Andrew Ely (.357) has hit in eight of his last nine games (.447/17-for-38).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.286) walked twice, doubled (5) and knocked in his 24th run, reaching base three times.
- LHP Andin Diaz (2-2, 3.32) blew a save (2) and suffered his second loss, allowing four runs (three earned) over two innings of relief.
GAME 2: The Indians completed the doubleheader sweep with a come-from-behind, walk-off, 4-3 win over Mesa.
- 1B Roney Alcala (.287) finished 2-for-3 with his fifth double and a stolen base (2).
- LF Ricardo Marcano (.281) singled twice, plated his 11th run and stole his fourth base.
- 2B Ho-young Son (.302, 9 SB) and CF Kevonte Mitchell (.321, 15 SB) each singled and swiped a base.
- RHP Zach Hedges (1-1, 1.32) suffered his first loss, allowing one unearned run on two hits over 1.2 frames of work.