Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/14/14
Iowa and Tennessee both won in walk-off fashion, while Kane County and Boise also picked up wins Thursday. Daytona split a doubleheader, and Mesa was dealt a loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (67-60)
1st Place (+1.0)
3B Kris Bryant blasted a walk-off, two-run homer in the 12th inning to lift Iowa over Las Vegas, 6-5.
- Bryant (.313) leads the PCL with 18 homers and 47 runs since joining Iowa on June 19. His 40 home runs on the season lead the minor leagues.
- 1B Mike Olt (.333) went 2-for-5 and homered for the second-straight game. Olt’s seven homers and 18 RBI since July 31 lead the PCL.
- CF Matt Szczur (.261) and 2B Logan Watkins (.260) had three hits apiece.
- RHP Marcos Mateo (2-0, 3.97) allowed a run in two innings of relief to earn his second win.
Tennessee Smokies (27-26)
1st Place (+1.0)
Tennessee recorded its second-straight walk-off win, beating Huntsville 1-0 on a Dustin Geiger single.
- RHP C.J. Edwards pitched six scoreless innings. He is holding opponents to a .192 batting average (23-for-120) this season.
- 1B Geiger (.228) finished 2-for-4 with the walk-off RBI-single (44).
- CF Albert Almora (.214) and C Taylor Davis (.327) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Frank Batista (1.16) tossed a scoreless ninth inning to earn his fourth relief win of the year.
Daytona Cubs (30-21)
1st Place (+3.0)
GM 1: Daytona used a four-run first inning to beat host Brevard County, 6-2.
- DH Billy McKinney (.322) went 1-for-3 with a double (8) and a season-high-tying four RBI (32).
- 3B Ben Carhart (.667) went 2-for-3 and recorded his first RBI as a Daytona Cub.
- RHP Starling Peralta (3.52) struck out four hitters over two scoreless innings of relief.
GM 2: Daytona managed just four hits in a 2-1 loss at Brevard County.
- RHP Justin Amlung tossed five innings, giving up no earned runs.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.267) went 1-for-2 with Daytona’s lone RBI (39).
- LHP Austin Kirk (3.32) tossed a scoreless sixth inning.
Kane County Cougars (32-20)
1st Place (+1.0)
Kane County won its fourth-straight contest with a 4-1 victory over visiting Quad Cities.
- RHP Duane Underwood gave up no earned runs in five innings.
- CF Trey Martin (.242) went 1-for-3 with an eighth-inning, three-run homer.
- 3B Chesny Young (.390) recorded a game-high two hits, going 2-for-3 with a run and a double (4).
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (1-0, 0.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win.
Boise Hawks (10-11)
T-3rd Place (-4.0)
Boise scored five runs in the second inning to beat host Hillsboro, 7-2.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.275) went 1-for-3 with his first professional homer, a second-inning, three-run shot.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.268) went a perfect 4-for-4 with a run scored.
- 2B David Bote (.316) went 1-for-4 with a double (9) and two RBI (12).
- RHP Trey Lang (2-0, 3.30) allowed one run over four innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.
Mesa Cubs (5-10)
5th Place (-6.5)
Mesa surrendered 14 hits in a 6-2 loss at the AZL D-backs.
- C Tyler Pearson (.200) went 1-for-3 with a third-inning, solo home run.
- RHP James Pugliese (0.00) struck out the side in his third inning of work.
- RHP Hector Perez (4.26) tossed a scoreless eighth inning, fanning one.