Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/17/14
Tennessee continued its winning streak, Kane County claimed both games in its doubleheader, some late runs were enough for Boise and Mesa managed a doubleheader split Sunday. However, Iowa and Daytona both fell. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (67-63)
T-2nd Place (-2.0)
Iowa dropped its third-straight contest, falling at home to Salt Lake, 3-2.
- LF Josh Vitters (.218) and C Eli Whiteside (.199) had two hits apiece.
- RHP’s Marcos Mateo (3.86) and Armando Rivero (1.78) combined to toss three scoreless innings of relief.
- Iowa hitters went 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
Tennessee Smokies (30-26)
1st Place (+3.0)
Tennessee extended its winning streak to five games with a 7-3 victory at Montgomery.
- RHP Felix Pena gave up two earned runs over 6.1 innings, fanning four to get the win.
- RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.229) went 3-for-4 with a fourth-inning, two-run homer.
- DH Taylor Davis (.355) and CF Albert Almora (.226) had three hits apiece. Almora drove in one (7).
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.221) went 2-for-5 with a run scored and two RBI (7).
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.277) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and his 26th double of the season.
Daytona Cubs (31-23)
1st Place (+2.0)
Daytona could not take advantage of five Tampa errors, as the D-Cubs fell on the road, 8-7.
- C Willson Contreras (.233) homered for the second-straight game, going 2-for-4 with an eighth-inning, three-run blast.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.269) went 1-for-3 with a seventh-inning, solo shot.
- LF Kyle Schwarber (.262) went 2-for-5 with a double (5) and his first triple of the season.
- RHP Zack Godley (3.79) tossed two scoreless innings of relief
Kane County Cougars (35-20)
1st Place (+1.0)
GM 1: Kane County held host Wisconsin to just two hits in a 9-0 victory.
- RHP Daury Torrez gave up one hit over five innings, striking out three to earn his 11th win of the season.
- CF Jeffrey Baez (.273) went 1-for-2 with a seventh-inning, solo home run.
- C Victor Cartini (.256) went 3-for-4 with a run scored and a game-high three RBI (12).
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.246) and SS Carlos Penalver (.209) had two hits apiece.
- RHP David Garner (3.12) tossed two scoreless frames to earn his first save of the year.
GM 2: Kane County completed the doubleheader sweep with a 2-0 victory at Wisconsin.
- RHP Ben Wells pitched five scoreless innings, allowing just three hits to pick up the win.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.275) went 1-for-3 while homering for the second time on the day.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.212) was 2-for-3 with a run scored and a double (16).
- RHP Francisco Carrillo (2.57) struck out the side in the seventh for his third save of the year.
Boise Hawks (12-12)
3rd Place (-3.0)
Boise scored all seven of its runs in the last three innings, beating host Salem-Keizer, 7-6.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.269) went 2-for-4 with an eighth-inning, solo blast.
- LF Kevin Brown (.266) went 2-for-5 with a ninth-inning, two-run shot.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.278), RF Charcer Burks (.293) and 1B Dan Canela (.301) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Daniel Lewis (1-0, 1.29) earned his first win while RHP Corbin Hoffner (3.86) earned his first save.
Mesa Cubs (6-12)
5th Place (-7.5)
GM 1: Mesa held the visiting AZL White Sox to just three hits in a 3-0 victory.
- LHP Jose Paulino fanned eight batters, giving up no runs over five innings in the win.
- 3B Adonis Paula (.257) went 1-for-3 with a fourth-inning, solo home run.
- RHP James Pugliese (0.00) struck out two over two scoreless innings of relief to earn his first save.
GM 2: The AZL White Sox defeated Mesa, 2-1, in a makeup game from July 13.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.279) and 2B Andrew Ely (.341) recorded both of Mesa’s hits.
- RHP Pedro Araujo (2.84) struck out four hitters while allowing an unearned run in two innings of relief.