Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/18/14
Tennessee scored a bunch of runs late, and Kane County was victorious on an extra-inning, walk-off single Monday. Iowa, Boise and Mesa were all handed losses, and Daytona was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (67-64)
3rd Place (-3.0)
Iowa fell to third place with the club’s fourth-straight setback, surrendering a 4-1 lead to lose to visiting Salt Lake, 7-5.
- 2B Logan Watkins (.257) doubled twice (20) for the only Iowa extra-base hits. He also knocked in three runs (37) for the third time this season.
- LF Ryan Kalish (.238) tallied three singles, a run and an RBI (25). He has seven hits in his last four games (.500/7-for-14), and has posted a .333 average (11-for-33) in 12 August games.
- C Rafael Lopez (.273) recorded his third multihit game in his last six, going 2-for-4 and scoring a run.
Tennessee Smokies (31-26)
1st Place (+3.0)
Tennessee scored five runs in the eighth inning to secure a 7-1 win at Montgomery. It was the Smokies’ sixth-straight win.
- RHP Corey Black gave up one run over five innings, striking out four to pick up the win.
- SS Addison Russell (.297) hit his ninth homer in 38 games since joining Tennessee and recorded at least one RBI for the fourth-straight game. He finished 2-for-5 with two runs, a double (8) and two RBI (24).
- CF Albert Almora (.236) went 2-for-5 with a double (4). He has six hits in his last three games (.400/6-for-15).
- 1B Lars Anderson (.338), 3B Christian Villanueva (.246) and DH Charles Cutler (.308) all tallied two hits apiece. Both of Villanueva’s base hits were doubles (15).
- RHP P.J. Francescon (3.62, 6 H), LHP Hunter Cervenka (3.04, 13 H) and RHP Blake Cooper (1.69, 4 H) combined for three frames of scoreless relief, each earning a hold.
Kane County Cougars (36-20)
1st Place (+1.0)
It took Kane County an extra frame to win the team’s eighth-straight contest on a walk-off single from LF Shawon Dunston in the bottom of the 10th. The Cougars topped visiting Burlington, 2-1.
- Dunston (.284) finished 2-for-3 with a run, a walk and the club’s only RBI (33). It was his second consecutive multihit game and his seventh in 16 games this month.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.264) singled twice.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng spun his seventh quality start in 16 tries with Kane County, going six innings and giving up one earned run. He has allowed more than two earned runs just three times all season.
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (2-0, 0.00) made his seventh appearance without allowing a run (12.2 IP). He tossed 1.2 hitless frames to earn his second win.
Boise Hawks (12-13)
3rd Place (-4.0)
Boise surrendered a three-run lead to fall 7-3 at Salem-Keizer.
- LF Kevin Brown (.265) hit his second homer in as many days, a two-run shot in the third inning.
- RF Charcer Burks (.316) tripled (2) for the second-straight night, going 3-for-4 with a run and an RBI (11). He has five hits and three RBI in his last two games (.675/5-for-8).
- DH Justin Marra (.287) singled twice in his 14th multihit game of the year.
Mesa Cubs (6-12)
5th Place (-7.5)
Mesa managed just one run on four hits off the host AZL White Sox, dropping the decision, 4-1.
- 3B Adonis Paula (.265) recorded the lone Mesa multihit game, singling, doubling (6) and knocking in his 15th run.
- RF Eloy Jimenez (.238) and LF Ricardo Marcano (.269) recorded the remaining two Mesa hits, both singles.