Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/19/14
Daytona split a doubleheader, Kane County secured a win with a pair of late runs, and Mesa pitched a shutout Tuesday. Iowa, Tennessee and Boise were all on the losing end of the ledger. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (67-65)
3rd Place (-3.0)
A two-run homer by Manny Ramirez was not enough to top visiting Salt Lake. The Bees came back to beat Iowa, 4-2.
- Ramirez (.206) launched his third homer and knocked in both Iowa runs (10).
- After going 0-for-4 in his first game with Iowa this season, CF Junior Lake (.444) singled four times to record his first four-hit game at any level since August 2, 2013, with Chicago.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.307) doubled (14) and walked in his return to the Iowa lineup. His first-inning walk was his third walk in three consecutive plate appearances spanning three separate games.
Tennessee Smokies (31-27)
1st Place (+3.0)
After an Addison Russell grand slam, Tennessee’s bullpen could not hold a four-run lead in the ninth, as the team fell at Montgomery, 7-6, on a walk-off, three-run homer from Biscuits RF Taylor Motter.
- RHP C.J. Edwards pitched five innings of scoreless ball, fanning seven.
- SS Addison Russell (.301) hit his second homer in as many games, a two-out grand slam in the seventh, and knocked in five runs (29) in his fifth-straight game with at least one RBI. He added his ninth double to finish 2-for-5. Russell has 12 total bases and seven RBI in the last two games.
- CF Albert Almora (.234, 5 2B) and 1B Lars Anderson (.338, 8 2B) tallied one double apiece.
- RHPs Matt Loosen (5.74, 1 H) and Zach Cates (5.25, 4 H) each recorded a hold before RHP Frank Batista (4-1, 1.09) surrendered the lead, suffering his first loss and allowing four unearned runs.
Daytona Cubs (32-24)
1st Place (+3.0)
GAME 1: Daytona needed extra frames to take the first half of a home doubleheader vs. Clearwater, 4-3. C Kyle Schwarber tied the contest with a two-out homer in the seventh before the Cubs won on a walk-off error in the bottom of the eighth.
- Schwarber (.270) finished 2-for-4 with the game-tying solo shot and his sixth double. His six total bases were the most he has had in one game since July 29 vs. Bradenton.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.255) doubled twice (7) to snap a three-game hitless skid (0-for-12). It marked his first multidouble game since June 4 with Kane County.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.266) recorded his seventh triple, tied for fifth in the league.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (4-0, 4.02) earned his fourth win with three hitless innings of relief.
GAME 2: Daytona could not complete the doubleheader sweep, dropping the second game to visiting Clearwater, 5-2, despite outhitting the Threshers, 10-8.
- LF Kyle Schwarber (.278) extended his hitting streak to six games (.417/10-for-24), including four-consecutive two-hit efforts.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.272) and SS Marco Hernandez (.269) each tallied two of Daytona’s eight singles.
Kane County Cougars (37-20)
1st Place (+1.0)
Kane County scored twice in the eighth to top visiting Burlington, 4-3, for the Cougars’ ninth-straight win.
- RHP Paul Blackburn gave up one earned run over five innings.
- After hitting four homers in his first 191 minor league games, CF Trey Martin (.243) hit his third in the last five games, setting a new career high with four on the season.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.265) finished 1-for-3 with a double (24) and two RBI, bringing his total to a team-leading 61.
- RHP Zak Hermans (3-3, 4.00) earned the win with three innings of one-run relief.
- RHP Francisco Carrillo (2.25) recorded his fourth save, tossing a scoreless ninth inning.
Boise Hawks (12-14)
T-3rd Place (-4.5)
Boise was blanked by host Vancouver despite recording eight hits. The Hawks fell, 2-0.
- LF Kevin Brown (.287) went 3-for-4 with his 10th double of the season. He has four extra-base hits in his last three games.
- RF Charcer Burks (.325) finished 2-for-4 with his fifth double. He has seven hits and three RBI in his last three games (.583/7-for-12).
- RHP Ryan Williams (1-1, 1.59) surrendered two unearned runs over four innings while fanning six. He recorded his first loss of the year in the relief effort.
Mesa Cubs (7-12)
5th Place (-6.5)
Mesa shut out the visiting AZL Giants, 7-0.
- 2B-SS Varonex Cuevas (.313) finished 3-for-5 with his first triple and an RBI (4), his first since July 28 vs. the AZL D-backs.
- RF Eloy Jimenez (.246) singled and drove in his 22nd run, good for second on the team (Gleyber Torres, 26).
- LHP Carson Sands (3-0, 0.56) tossed three scoreless frames to earn his third win, tying him for the team lead. Sands has allowed just one earned run in 16 innings pitched over eight games.