Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/20/14
Tennessee clinched a series win, Kane County made it 10 straight, and 2014 draft pick Jake Stinnett made his Boise debut in a victory Wednesday. Iowa and Daytona both lost, while Mesa had the night off and will resume play this afternoon. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (67-66)
3rd Place (-3.0)
Iowa surrendered a three-run lead to host Reno, dropping their sixth-straight game, 11-4.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.312) hit his minor league-leading 41st home run of the season, his 19th with Iowa, and finished 2-for-3 with a run, a walk and two RBI (47 with Iowa, 105 total).
- LF Manny Ramirez (.209) hit his second double of the season, and C Rafael Lopez (.274) tallied his first triple of the year. Eight of the Iowa starting nine recorded at least one hit.
- LHP Eric Jokisch’s loss snapped his streak of four-straight quality starts. At the plate, he recorded his second multihit game of the season (previously done, May 26 vs. Colorado Springs), going 2-for-3 and scoring a run.
- RHP Marcos Mateo (3.82) allowed an inherited runner to score on a sacrifice fly in the sixth, suffering his first blown save.
Tennessee Smokies (32-27)
1st Place (+3.0)
Tennessee clinched the series win with a 4-1 victory over host Montgomery.
- SS Addison Russell (.306) hit his third homer in as many games, a two-run shot in the first, and added a single in his sixth-straight game with at least one RBI (31). Russell is 9-for-23 (.391) with three homers and 11 RBI in his last five games.
- CF Albert Almora (.245) has hit safely in eight of his last nine games (.371/13-for-35).
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (3-3, 2.95) earned his third win with 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (3.51) followed with two shutout frames to earn his seventh hold.
- RHP Blake Cooper (1.64) recorded his first save with a scoreless ninth.
Daytona Cubs (32-25)
1st Place (+3.0)
Clearwater took the lead at Daytona with a five-run fifth, beating the Cubs, 7-3.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.270) hit his sixth triple (tied for second on the team and eighth in the league) and singled in his 22nd multihit game of the year.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.272) recorded his second-straight multihit game, going 2-for-3 with a run, a walk and an RBI (48).
- DH Kyle Schwarber (.277) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.393/11-for-28). Schwarber has doubled in five of his last six games, with four two-hit games in that span.
Kane County Cougars (38-20)
1st Place (+2.0)
Kane County tied a franchise record for home wins with their 50th such victory and 10th in a row. The Cougars scored five in the bottom of the eighth to beat visiting Burlington, 7-3.
- CF Jeffrey Baez (.276) hit his fourth homer, a two-run shot in the eighth inning, as part of a 2-for-4 effort. He has three multi-RBI games on the season.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.235) and DH Yasiel Balaguert (.247) tallied two singles apiece. It was Candelario’s 11th multihit effort of the year, while Balaguert has had 18 such contests.
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (3-0, 0.00) earned his third-consecutive win in relief, contributing 1.1 perfect frames to bring his scoreless streak to 14.0 innings over eight outings.
Boise Hawks (13-14)
3rd Place (-4.5)
Boise evened the series at one win apeice with a 4-1 victory at Vancouver.
- RHP Jake Stinnett fanned four over 2.2 hitless innings in his Boise debut.
- SS Bryant Flete (.303, 6 2B) and C Mark Malave (.274, 6 2B) each singled, doubled and scored twice.
- RF Charcer Burks (.326) knocked in two (13).
- RHP Jeremy Null (1-0, 1.86) contributed 3.2 scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win of the year.