Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/24/14
It was a tough day for the Cubs’ affiliates, with only Daytona coming away victorious on Sunday. Boise had the day off and will resume play Monday night. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (68-69)
3rd Place (-4.0)
Iowa lost for the ninth time in its last 10 games, falling at Tacoma, 5-4 in 14 innings.
- RHP Dallas Beeler pitched six strong innings, giving up no earned runs and fanning six.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.307) homered for the second-straight game, going 1-for-6 with a first-inning, two-run blast. His 43 total home runs on the season lead the minor leagues.
- DH Jorge Soler (.278) reached base five times, going 3-for-5 with two walks and a seventh-inning, solo home run. He’s tallied eight hits in his last two games to go along with four RBI.
- C Rafael Lopez (.286) and 1B Eli Whiteside (.202) recorded three hits apiece.
Tennessee Smokies (32-31)
1st Place (+1.0)
Tennessee lost its fourth-straight game, falling to visiting Jacksonville, 9-7. Tennessee pitching has allowed 50 runs in its last four games.
- SS Addison Russell (.297) went 2-for-5 with a ninth-inning, two-run blast.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.233) went 4-for-5 with three runs scored, a double (7) and one stolen base (5).
- 1B Lars Anderson (.347) went 3-for-5 with his 12th RBI of the season.
- In his first start with the Smokies, Felix Doubront allowed four runs (three earned) on five hits in 4.1 innings. He threw 95 pitches, with 59 of them going for strikes.
Daytona Cubs (37-25)
1st Place (+2.5)
Daytona won its fifth-straight game, beating host Lakeland, 7-1.
- RHP Tayler Scott gave up one earned run over five innings.
- LF Kyle Schwarber (.314) extended his hitting streak to 12 games (.456/21-for-46) and homered for the fifth-straight game, going 2-for-4 with two home runs and three RBI (27). He’s clubbed six home runs over the last five games, and has recorded eight multihit efforts during his 12-game hit streak.
- RF Billy McKinney (.308) went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored and his 12th double of the year.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (1.29) struck out three hitters in 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (41-21)
1st Place (+2.0)
Kane County had its 13-game winning streak snapped, falling at Burlington, 2-1.
- RHP Daury Torrez gave up two unearned runs and struck out five in five innings.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.214) went 2-for-4 with a double (17) and his 37th RBI of the campaign.
- C Mark Zagunis (.292) went 1-for-3 with a walk and his first triple of the season.
- RHP David Garner (3.38) allowed two hits and fanned one in three scoreless innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (8-15)
5th Place (-7.5)
Mesa managed just two hits in a 5-1 loss at the AZL Angels.
- 2B Varonex Cuevas (.319) and C Tyler Alamo (.205) recorded the two hits.
- RHP Adbert Alzolay (2-4, 7.71) allowed one run and fanned three in two innings of work to suffer his fourth loss of the year.