Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/26/14
Daytona battled back to secure a win, and Kane County set a franchise mark with its 88th victory Tuesday. The other four teams were in action, but each lost. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league games:
Iowa Cubs (69-70)
3rd Place (-4.0)
Iowa allowed five runs on 13 hits in a 5-3 loss to their host, the Tacoma Rainiers.
- LF Junior Lake (.318) finished 2-for-3 with two runs, a walk, a double (2), a homer, two RBI (6) and a stolen base from the leadoff spot. His two hits extended his hitting streak to eight games (.350/14-for-40).
- 3B Kris Bryant (.301) singled Lake in to put Iowa on the board in the first. His 109 RBI on the season (51 with Iowa) rank third in the minor leagues.
Tennessee Smokies (32-33)
T-1st Place (–)
Tennessee dropped its sixth-straight contest, a 6-5 comeback loss to visiting Jacksonville, to fall into a tie for first place.
- CF Albert Almora (.256) doubled (7) and tripled (2) in his second game with multiple extra-base hits in the last four.
- Five Smokies doubled in yesterday’s contest—Almora, SS-2B Anthony Giansanti (.237, 6 2B), 1B Lars Anderson (.330, 10 2B), C Charles Cutler (.313, 13 2B) and RF Rubi Silva (.257, 13 2B).
- RHP Blake Cooper (1.49, 5 H) and LHP Hunter Cervenka (3.90, 14 H) each recorded a hold before RHP Frank Batista (4-2, 1.70) allowed three runs (two earned) in the ninth, suffering his second blown save and second loss.
Daytona Cubs (38-26)
1st Place (+2.0)
The D-Cubs maintained their first-place lead with a comeback 6-5 win at Dunedin.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.281) recorded all three Cubs extra-base hits, homering for the second-straight night, knocking two doubles (21) and driving in one (53).
- 3B Wes Darvill (.251) singled twice in his first multihit game since July 29 vs. Bradenton.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.270) also tallied two singles and knocked in two (51).
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (5-0, 4.03) earned his fifth win with 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- Perakslis was followed by RHP Zack Godley (3.69), who allowed one run over 1.2 frames for his seventh save.
Kane County Cougars (43-21)
1st Place (+3.0)
The Cougars tied a franchise record with their 88th win of the season, a 6-1 victory over host Burlington.
- RHP Duane Underwood pitched 5.1 innings, giving up one earned run, walking none and striking out four.
- DH Chesny Young (.337) recorded the lone multihit game for the Cougars, which included his sixth double.
- Each player in the Cougars’ starting nine recorded at least one hit. Five Cougars recorded a double—Young, 1B Jacob Rogers (.267, 26 2B), CF Trey Martin (.243, 15 2B), 3B Jeimer Candelario (.252, 18 2B) and LF Shawon Dunston (.272, 16 2B). Dunston drove in a team-high two runs (35).
- LHP Michael Heesch (2.43) and RHP Michael Wagner (2.68) combined for 3.2 innings of scoreless relief, striking out a combined five Bees.
Boise Hawks (16-16)
3rd Place (-5.0)
Everett overcame a 2-1 deficit with a three-run ninth in Boise, topping the Hawks, 4-2.
- DH Kevin Brown (.269) finished 2-for-4 with his second triple of the season and both Boise runs.
- RHP Joshua Conway did not factor into the decision, throwing three perfect innings before exiting the game.
- In relief, LHP Sam Wilson (5-1, 3.82) suffered the loss, recording three earned runs over two innings of work.
- RHP Daniel Lewis (0.90) allowed three inherited runners to score, suffering his first blown save despite a line of one scoreless inning.
Mesa Cubs (8-16)
5th Place (-8.5)
Mesa scored first, but surrendered a two-run lead to lose at the AZL Dodgers, 8-3.
- 2B Varonex Cuevas (.329) hit his third triple (3) in four games, adding a single and driving in one (5).
- CF Kevonte Mitchell (.292) also recorded his third triple, scoring one of Mesa’s three runs.
- RF Eloy Jimenez (.225, 3 SB) and SS Ho-young Son (.254, 12 SB) each stole a base despite both going hitless.