Cubs Minor League Recap: 9/1/14
All six minor league affiliates wrapped up their regular seasons this weekend, with Daytona, Kane County and Boise all qualifying for postseason play. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (74-70)
T-2nd Place (-2.5)
Iowa finished the season with a five-game winning streak, routing Oklahoma City at home yesterday, 11-1.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee finished the season by extending his scoreless innings streak to 13.1 innings in his second-straight win, and tying a career-high with 11 strikeouts (also done Aug. 19, 2011, with Daytona).
- RF Ryan Kalish (.251) tied a career high with four hits (last done June 9, 2012, with Pawtucket of the International League), scoring twice, doubling (14) and driving in two (37).
- C Eli Whiteside (.214) went 3-for-5 with two doubles (13) and a season-high three RBI (21).
- SS Elliot Soto (.241) also went 3-for-5 with a double (4).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.286) singled twice.
- DH Kris Bryant (.295) singled and drove in his 52nd run since joining Iowa. He finished the season with a .325 average, a minor-league best 43 home runs, and 110 RBI between Tennessee and Iowa.
Tennessee Smokies (33-37)
2nd Place (-3.0)
The Smokies wrapped up the season with a 5-1 loss to host Chattanooga.
- SS Addison Russell (.294) recorded his 18th multihit game, including his 11th double.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.232) singled twice from the leadoff spot.
- C Charles Cutler (.310) tallied his 14th double and walked twice.
- The Smokies were 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position, and left 11 runners on base.
Daytona Cubs (41-27)
1st Place (+3.5)
After finishing the regular season on Sunday, the Cubs had a day off before Game 1 of the FSL North Championship tonight vs. Dunedin.
Kane County Cougars (45-27)
1st Place (+3.5)
Kane County dropped a 12-inning contest, 6-5, at home against Peoria. The Cougars finished with a franchise-best 91-49 record on the season.
- C Mark Zagunis (.280) went 2-for-4 with two walks, a double (6) and a stolen base (5) from the leadoff spot.
- Three other Cougars—DH Chesny Young (.324), RF Yasiel Balaguert (.252) and 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.297)—had two hits apiece. Balaguert finished with a seven-game hitting streak (.393/11-for-28).
- RHP Michael Wagner (3.23) allowed three runs (two earned) over two innings to suffer his second blown save.
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (3-1, 0.87) allowed just his second earned run of the season (20.2 IP) in 2.1 frames, ending up with his first loss.
Boise Hawks (19-19)
3rd Place (-7.0)
Boise overcame a three-run deficit in the ninth, topping Salem-Keizer, 6-5, on a walk-off single from 2B Jason Vosler.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.393) went 3-for-5 with a run, a double (2), a triple (3) and two RBI (4). He has 11 hits, two doubles and three triples in seven games since joining Boise.
- 1B Alex Tomasovich (.311) singled twice and scored a run.
- PH Justin Marra (.279) doubled to improve to 4-for-5 as a pinch-hitter.
- RF-LHP Charlie White (2-0, 2.25) earned his second win in as many career appearances as a pitcher, allowing one earned run in the ninth before helping the offense with a walk in the bottom of the frame.
Mesa Cubs (9-19)
5th Place (-11.0)
Mesa finished the regular season with a 22-34 overall record.