Cubs Minor League Recap: 9/2/14
Daytona cruised in its first playoff game, but Boise put itself in an early series hole with a loss. Kane County had the night off and will start postseason play today. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
FSL North Championship
Daytona leads series 1-0
DH Kyle Schwarber hit a two-out grand slam in the fourth inning, helping Daytona to an 11-1 victory over visiting Dunedin in Game 1 of the FSL North Championship.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny picked up the win, giving up one earned run over six innings.
- Schwarber finished 1-for-5 with the blast.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach also homered, adding a double (1) to finish 2-for-5 with two RBI (2).
- LF Bijan Rademacher went a perfect 3-for-3 with a double (1) and three RBI (3).
- C Wilson Contreras singled three times and scored three runs.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya and RF Billy McKinney each added one of Daytona’s four doubles in the rout.
NWL Divisional Series
Boise trails series 1-0
Boise surrendered a one-run lead to lose to Hillsboro, 5-2, at home in Game 1 of the Northwest League Divisional Series.
- RHP Jake Stinnett gave up one earned run over five innings, fanning eight.
- 1B Alex Tomasovich led off the third with a solo homer to tie the game, logging the lone Hawks extra-base hit.
- 2B Bryant Flete (.250), LF Kevin Brown (.250), C-1B Daniel Canela (.250) and SS Gleyber Torres (.333) each singled.
- Boise committed four errors, contributing to two unearned Hops runs.