Cubs Winter League Recap: 12/28/14
Both Junior Lake and Christian Villanueva continued their strong winter league play Sunday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action in the Caribbean:
- LHP Jeffry Antigua pitched 0.2 scoreless, hitless innings of relief for the Toros del Este in an 8-2 loss to the Aguilas Cibaenas.
- LF Junior Lake continued his hot stretch for the Estrellas de Oriente, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a stolen base in a 4-1 loss to the Gigantes del Cibao. Lake’s winter average now stands at .429.
- RHP Starling Peralta closed out the Estrellas losing effort with one scoreless, one-hit inning of relief.
- Christian Villanueva had another big game in the Yaquis de Obregon’s 11-inning, 7-6 win over the Naranjeros de Hermosillo. The third baseman went 2-for-4 with three RBI. He hit a two-run single with one out in the ninth inning to tie the game, and then delivered a sac fly in the 11th to give his team the victory.
- 2B Javier Baez had another rough day at the plate, going 0-for-5 with four strikeouts in the Cangrejeros de Santurce’s 4-2 win over the Gigantes de Carolina. In 11 games, Baez is hitting .233/.306/.442 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with three doubles, two home runs and seven RBI. He has also struck out 21 times in 43 at-bats.
- c-1B Willson Contreras went 1-for-4 with a double and two runs scored, bringing his winter average to .273 for the Tigres de Aragua, who cruised to a 13-1 victory over the Navegantes del Magallanes.
- In the Navegantes losing effort, 3B Jonathan Herrera went 3-for-4 with three singles.