Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/12/15
The offense drove Iowa, Tennessee and South Bend to victories on Sunday, but a solid start on the mound wasn’t enough for Myrtle Beach. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (2-2)
Third Place (-1.0)
Third baseman Kris Bryant (.313) blasted a homer and drove in three runs for the second consecutive game as the I-Cubs topped Memphis 7-2.
- SS Addison Russell (.389) went 3-for-5 with his first Triple-A homer, two runs scored and two RBI (3).
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.500) went 3-for-4, hit a solo homer in the fourth and scored twice.
- CF Adron Chambers (.308) went 2-for-3 including a double (3) that brought in a run in the second inning.
- LHP Drake Britton (4.91) earned the win, pitching 2.1 shutout innings and walking just one batter.
Tennessee Smokies (2-2)
T-Second Place (-1.0)
Six Smokies had multihit games, helping the team to a 6-3 win at Mississippi.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.400) went 3-for-5, hitting two doubles, driving in two runs and scoring once.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.167) went 2-for-5 with three RBI (4) and scored once.
- CF Albert Almora (.235) went 2-for-5 with a walk, a double and two runs.
- SS Elliot Soto (.214), C Willson Contreras (.500) and LF Anthony Giansanti (.500) also had multihit games.
- The Smokies had 16 hits and were 6-for-19 with runners in scoring position.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (2-2)
Second Place (-1.0)
Myrtle Beach was blanked by Wilmington, falling 5-0 in the last game of the series.
- RHP Tyler Skulina gave up one earned run over five innings of work, striking out five in the loss.
- LF Chris Denorfia (.500) went 1-for 2 in his first game of a rehabilitation assignment, hitting a double in the first inning.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.188) and 3B Jeimer Candelario (.250) each had a hit.
South Bend Cubs (3-1)
T-Second Place (-0.5)
The South Bend Cubs topped Dayton 8-3. Five players had RBI, and the team swiped three bases.
- RHP Zach Hedges secured a win, giving up two earned runs over five innings. He struck out two.
- LF Rashad Crawford (.400) went 2-for-2, walked twice, drove in three runs and scored three times.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.313) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two RBI and a run scored.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.333) went 3-for-5 and scored twice.
- CF Trey Martin (.313), Vosler and Torres each had a stolen base.
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (2.25) earned his second hold, pitching 2.0 shutout innings, giving up no hits, walking one and fanning three batters.