Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/14/15
Myrtle Beach split a doubleheader, but South Bend was unable to come away victorious on Tuesday. Iowa was rained out, while Tennessee had the day off. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (3-3)
Second Place (-1.5)
GM 1: Myrtle Beach jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the second inning and hung on to top Salem 5-3.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng picked up the win, giving up two earned runs in five innings, striking out five and walking none.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.333) went 1-for-2 with a double that plated two runs (4) in the second. He scored once and walked once.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.222) went 1-for-2, walked once and earned one RBI.
- RHP Tayler Scott (3.00) recorded his first save, giving up one earned run on three hits, walking one and fanning three batters in the final two innings.
GM 2: Myrtle Beach fell 3-1 to Salem in the second game of the doubleheader, recording only four hits.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez struck out four across five innings, giving up one earned run in the no-decision.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.286) went 2-for-3 with a double in the first inning.
- SS Daniel Lockhart (.333) hit a double with two outs in the bottom of the seventh, but the Pelicans were unable to capitalize.
- DH Billy McKinney (.154) earned the only RBI of the game and walked once.
South Bend Cubs (3-3)
T-Third Place (-2.0)
Center fielder Trey Martin (.238) recorded his first double and second triple of the season, but South Bend fell 3-2 at Dayton.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.389) hit his fifth double, walked once and scored once.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.348) had his third multihit game, walked once, drove in a run (3) and swiped a base (2).
- RHP Ryan Williams (1.13) tossed a quality start, allowing only one hit and one earned run in six innings. He also fanned seven batters.