Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/22/15
Tennessee and South Bend cruised behind strong offensive performances, but Iowa and Myrtle Beach both fell Wednesday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (6-7)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-4.5)
Iowa saw their two-game winning streak snapped, as they fell 6-3 at home to New Orleans.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada (2.70) made his second rehab appearance, allowing two runs in 5.1 innings. In two starts, he has allowed three runs in 10.0 innings, walking six and fanning 11.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.355) went 2-for-4 with an RBI. It marked his fourth multi-hit game of the season.
- RF Junior Lake (.268) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a double and an RBI. He has hit safely in three straight games (.444).
Tennessee Smokies (7-5)
Southern League (Double-A)
First Place (+1.0)
The Smokies collected 18 hits and drew eight walks as they rolled to a 13-4 victory over Jackson.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.345) had a four-hit game, going 4-for-6 with a run and an RBI.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.432) doubled and hit a three-run homer as part of a 2-for-5 night that included a walk, two runs scored and five RBI (9).
- CF Pin-Chieh Chen (.275) went 3-for-4 with a double, two walks and two runs scored.
- SS Elliot Soto (.282) went 3-for-5 with a double, a walk, two runs scored and two RBI.
- 3B Ryan Dent (.222) went 2-for-5 with his first home run of the season.
- LF Albert Almora (.300) and 2B Stephen Bruno (.361) also had two-hit games.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (8-4)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+2.0)
The Pelicans lost for the first time since April 14, as they fell 4-1 at Salem in an afternoon contest.
- LF Wes Darvill (.158) collected three of the team’s six hits, going 3-for-3 with a double and a stolen base.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.263) went 1-for-3 with a walk. He has hit safely in 8 of 11 games.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (1.35) tossed 1.2 scoreless frames, fanning two batters. He has allowed one run in 6.2 innings this season across four appearances.
South Bend Cubs (6-8)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fifth Place (-4.0)
South Bend scored the most runs in a game in the Midwest League this season, defeating Lake County 16-3.
- RHP Jeremy Null picked up the win, surrendering no runs on three hits and no walks in 6.0 innings of work. He struck out four. He has 17 strikeouts on the season and no walks in 17.0 innings.
- 2B Chesny Young (.333) went 3-for-3 with four runs scored and a stolen base.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.442) collected his third three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a walk, a double, a run scored and two RBI.
- C Justin Marra (.136) homered for the second consecutive game, with a two-run shot.
- CF Trey Martin (.255), 3B Zach Hedges (.245), SS Gleyber Torres (.250), LF Charcer Burks (.356) and RF Rashad Crawford (.303) all had multi-hit games.