Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/30/15
South Bend picked up a win, but Iowa, Tennessee and Myrtle Beach were all on the losing end Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (9-11)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-6.5)
Iowa fell to Oklahoma City in 13 innings by a score of 4-2.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.275) went 2-for-4, plated one, walked once and scored twice. He extended his hitting streak to five games.
- RF John Andreoli (.261) went 2-for-5 in his second consecutive multi-hit game.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel (7.47) tossed his first quality start of the campaign, giving up just one hit and one run, while walking two and fanning three in 6.0 innings of work.
Tennessee Smokies (11-8)
Southern League (Double-A)
First Place (+1.5)
Tennessee’s comeback bid fell short as it fell at Birmingham, 5-3. The Smokies knocked four doubles, three of which scored runs in the final four innings.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.357) went 2-for-4 and scored twice.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.290) went 2-for-3, hit two doubles, plated one and walked once.
- DH Kyle Schwarber (.375) went 1-for-3 with an RBI double in the eighth inning and walked once, extending his hitting streak to nine games (.447/17-for-38).
- 3B Anthony Giansanti (.192) had a two-out, RBI double in the ninth inning.
Myrtle Beach (10-9)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+0.5)
Myrtle Beach was unable to hang on to an early lead, suffering a 6-4 loss at Wilmington.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.254) knocked his first triple and scored a run. He has recorded an RBI in four of his last five games.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.246) went 2-for-4 with a double and scored once.
- CF Trey Martin (.273) had an RBI double in the second inning to give the Pelicans an early lead.
- RHP Daury Torres (3.57) earned his second consecutive quality start, giving up just two runs off six hits in 6.0 innings and fanning one.
South Bend Cubs (11-10)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-3.0)
South Bend picked up its second straight win at Michigan, taking the series with a 6-3 victory.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.352) had four hits, tying his career high. He also hit his third double, plated one, swiped a base and scored once. He has had multi-hit games in five of his last eight appearances.
- DH Jason Vosler (.271) went 2-for-5 with a double, two RBI and a run scored.
- C Justin Marra (.132) had a multi-hit game, recording an RBI and scoring once.
- RHP Erick Leal (2.25) picked up his third straight win with four strikeouts in 5.0 innings.
- RHP Francisco Carrillo (5.25) collected his first save of the season, giving up just one hit and fanning three in 3.0 innings of relief.