Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/4/15
Iowa edged out a win, while Myrtle Beach slugged its way to victory on Monday. Runs were limited in Tennessee and South Bend losses. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (11-13)
Pacific Coast League
Third Place (-7.5)
Iowa defeated host Nashville, 2-1, in the first of a four-game series.
- LHP Eric Jokisch (4.00) gave up one earned run in six innings of work, striking out five in the win.
- CF Matt Szczur (.262) went 1-for-2 with a home run, two walks and two RBI.
- DH Taylor Davis (.333) collected his second multi-hit game of the season, going 2-for-4.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.277) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.379/11-for-29) with a 1-for-4 night. He also scored once and walked once.
- RHP Justin Grimm (0.00) made his first rehab appearance of the season, striking out two batters and walking one in a scoreless eighth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (13-10)
Southern League (Double-A)
First Place (+0.5)
Tennessee lost in walk-off fashion at Birmingham, falling 4-3 in 13 innings.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.269) reached base all seven times, going 2-for-2 with a home run, five walks, one run scored, one stolen base and one RBI.
- DH Willson Contreras (.333) hit two doubles (7), going 3-for-5 with a walk.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.293) went 2-for-6, his seventh multi-hit game of the season.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (5.84) faced the minimum over 3.0 scoreless innings of relief, striking out three batters.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (14-9)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.0)
Myrtle Beach registered 17 hits and drew seven walks as they defeated Lynchburg, 14-6, to sweep the four-game series.
- 1B Jacobs Rogers (.299) went 3-for-5 with a home run, a walk and four RBI. He extended his hitting streak to five games (10-for-20), including four multi-hit efforts.
- RF Billy McKinney (.301) collected his second straight multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a triple, a walk, a run scored and three RBI.
- LF Wes Darvill (.195) went 1-for-3 with a triple, two walks, two runs scored and three RBI.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.250) went 2-for-4 with a double, a walk, two runs scored and two RBI.
- CF Mark Zagunis (.268), 3B Jeimer Candelario (.256), DH Kevin Brown (.267) and 2B Daniel Lockhart (.222) all had multi-hit games.
- C Alberto Mineo (.250) was the only Pelicans starter not to collect a hit, but he walked twice and scored a team-high three runs.
South Bend Cubs (13-12)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Fourth Place (-2.0)
South Bend was blanked, 2-0, by Great Lakes in the first of a three-game home set.
- The SB-Cubs collected five hits, all singles, in the defeat.
- RHP Jake Stinnett (5.85) tied a season high with 5.0 innings pitched. He struck out a season-best five batters.
- RHP Francisco Carrillo (4.20) allowed one hit in 3.0 scoreless innings, striking out one batter.