Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/17/15
Myrtle Beach captured its series with Winston-Salem, and Tennessee’s winning streak continued on Wednesday. Meanwhile, Iowa and South Bend both came out on the losing end. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (34-31)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-9.0)
Iowa held a 4-0 lead after five innings but could not hold on, falling 7-4 on the road at Omaha.
- C Taylor Teagarden (.286) went 2-for-4. He has hit safely in three straight games (4-for-10).
- DH Junior Lake (.250) went 1-for-4 with a solo home run in the fourth inning, his first of the season.
- CF Arismendy Alcantara (.270) reached twice, going 1-for-4 with a triple (7), a walk and a run scored.
Tennessee Smokies (36-29)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-3.5)
The Smokies won their fourth straight game, blanking visiting Mississippi, 8-0.
- RHP Neil Ramirez (0.00) tossed a perfect inning of relief in his first rehab appearance.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.237) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI (23). He has scored five runs in the last four games.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.279) extended his hitting streak to four games (8-for-16), going 2-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI (20).
- SS Bryant Flete (.184) went 2-for-3 with a double (1) and three RBI (4).
- RHP Pierce Johnson tossed 5.0 scoreless innings in his second outing of the season. He has yet to allow a run in 8.0 innings (6 H, 2 BB, 6 SO).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (38-27)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+3.0)
Myrtle Beach claimed the rubber game of a three-game set, defeating Winston-Salem, 5-2.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.312) went 3-for-4 with a triple (4), a walk, a run scored and an RBI (30). He has hit safely in five straight games (9-for-22).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.266) went 2-for-5 with an RBI (22).
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.262) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (40) and is now 5-for-8 in his last two games.
- RHP Juan Paniagua (2.84) tossed 2.2 scoreless innings to pick up his second win.
- RHP James Pugliese (1.47) collected his fifth save, striking out one in 2.2 scoreless innings. He has thrown at least 2.0 scoreless frames in six of his last seven appearances.
South Bend Cubs (27-36)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Eighth Place (-10.5)
South Bend dropped its second straight game to Dayton by a score of 3-1.
- LF Rashad Crawford (.287) went 2-for-3 with a double (4) and a run scored. He has a six-game hitting streak (8-for-21).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.313) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- RHP Michael Wagner (0.00) fanned six batters in 3.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer, C Gioskar Amaya and RHP Trevor Clifton were all ejected in the fourth inning.