Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/23/15
Mesa picked up its first win of the season Tuesday, Iowa got off to a slow start and couldn’t battle back, and Eugene continued its early-season struggles. Members of Tennessee, Myrtle Beach and South Bend competed in their respected leagues’ All-Star Games.
Iowa Cubs (36-34)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-11.0)
Iowa was unable to overcome Omaha’s early lead and ultimately fell to the Storm Chasers, 4-2.
- RF John Andreoli (.299) went 1-for-4 with a home run (2).
- SS Ryan Dent (.278) went 1-for-3 with a double (3) and an RBI (3). He has recorded a hit in his last three appearances.
- RHP Felipe Paulino (4.67) took the loss, but fanned a six batters in 5.2 innings.
Tennessee is off until Thursday for the All-Star break. Willson Contreras, Dan Vogelbach, Frank Batista, Corey Black, P.J. Francescon and Felix Pena represented the Smokies yesterday at the All-Star Game in Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach crushed a three-run homer in the second inning to give the North All-Stars the lead. He also walked once, finishing 1-for-4.
- C Willson Contreras went 1-for-2 and walked once.
- RHP Felix Pena tossed a hitless frame and fanned one batter.
- RHP Frank Batista tossed a scoreless frame, giving up just one hit and walking one batter.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach is off until Thursday for the All-Star break. Jeimer Candelario, Duane Underwood, Jonathan Martinez and Mark Zagunis represented the Pelicans at the All-Star Game yesterday in Rancho Cucamonga, California.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario went 2-for-4 with a double.
- RF-CF Mark Zagunis went 2-for-5 and plated one.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez tossed a shutout inning, allowing just one hit and fanning one batter.
South Bend Cubs
South Bend is off until Thursday for the All-Star break. Cael Brockmeyer, Charcer Burks, Gleyber Torres, Jeremy Null and James Farris represented the SB-Cubs at the All-Star Game yesterday in Peoria, Illinois.
- RHP Jeremy Null earned the win and was named game MVP after giving up just one hit and fanning three batters in a scoreless first inning.
- RF Charcer Burks walked once and earned an RBI despite going 0-for-1.
Eugene Emeralds (1-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Eighth Place (-11.5)
- CF Ian Happ (.350) went 2-for-3 with a double (2), a stolen base, a walk and a run scored. He has recorded a hit in his first five games with the Emeralds.
- SS Ho-young Son (.273) went 2-for-3 and walked once.
- DH Alberto Mineo (.214) went 1-for-4 with a double, an RBI (3) and one run scored.
- RHP Adbert Alzolay (0.00) took the loss in his first outing of the season. He allowed one run off two hits and fanned four batters in 2.0 innings on the mound.
Mesa Cubs (1-2)
Arizona League (Rookie League)
T-Fourth Place (-2.0)
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.167) went 1-for-2, knocked a triple, plated three, walked twice and scored once.
- 3B Wladimir Galindo (.083) went 1-for-4 with a double and three RBI.
- LF Jose Paniagua (.286) went 2-for-4 with a double and a triple.
- DH Miguel Rico went 2-for-4 with an RBI and one run scored.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.308) went 2-for-5 and scored once.
- CF Roberto Caro (.300) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (2), a walk, two runs scored and a stolen base (1).
- RHP Jesus Camargo (1.80) earned the win after allowing just one run off three hits and fanning three in 5.0 innings of work.