Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/20/15
Iowa’s winning streak reached six games and Myrtle Beach’s hot stretch includes seven straight wins after victories Monday night. South Bend, Eugene and Mesa were all dealt losses while Tennessee was rained out. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (52-43)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-9.0)
CF Rubi Silva (.277) homered in his third consecutive game as Iowa topped Round Rock, 7-1. The I-Cubs have won six straight contests.
- All told, Silva went 2-for-4 with his ninth home run of the season, three RBI (37), and two runs scored.
- DH Matt Szczur (.280) went 2-for-5, knocked a double (8), swiped a base (17) and scored twice.
- RF Junior Lake (.325) went 2-for-4, plated one (27) and scored once, extending his hitting streak to 11 games (18-for-39/.462).
- 3B Mike Olt (.234) went 2-for-4 and scored once.
- 1B Christian Villanueva (.272) went 1-for-4 with a double (18) and a RBI (50). He is currently riding a five-game hitting streak (9-for-19/.474) and a four-game RBI streak (10 total).
- LHP Drake Britton (4.39) tossed a season-high 7.0 frames and fanned a season-high six batters to pick up the win.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (14-11)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
Myrtle Beach won its seventh straight game, besting Salem, 4-1. Four Pelicans drove in a run.
- C Victor Caratini (.240) went 2-for-2, knocked a double (17), drew a walk and scored once.
- 3B Chesny Young (.346) went 1-for-4 and plated one (23), extended his hitting streak to nine games (17-for-36/.472). He has reached base in a league record 39 straight games.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.282) went 1-for-4 with an RBI double (20) and two runs scored.
- DH Jeimer Candelario (.270) and 2B Daniel Lockhart (.232) each hit a double and plated one.
- RHP Brad Markey (1.08) earned his second consecutive win, giving up one earned run in 6.0 innings.
South Bend Cubs (13-12)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fourth Place (-3.5)
South Bend dropped its second straight game as it was blanked by West Michigan, 4-0.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.319) went 2-for-3 including a double (19), extending his hitting streak to seven games (14-for-30/.467).
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.225) went 1-for-4 and swiped two bases (17), extending his hitting streak to nine games (17-for-36/.472) with four stolen bases in that stretch.
- The SB-Cubs were 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position.
Eugene Emeralds (16-16)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Third Place (-3.0)
Eugene was shutout by Vancouver, 8-0. The Emeralds were 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
- RF Ricardo Marcano (.229) went 2-for-3, marking his second multi-hit game of the season.
- DH Justin Marra (.208) went 1-for-4 and knocked a double (2).
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.280) went 1-for-3 and drew a walk.
- RHP Trey Masek (6.43) tossed 2.0 hitless frames of relief while fanning one batter.
Mesa Cubs (12-11)
Arizona Rookie League
Second Place (-1.5)
The Mesa Cubs fell to the AZL Angels, 5-4. The AZL Cubs recorded 10 hits in the setback.
- 1B Jose Paniagua (.301) went 2-for-4, knocked a double (4), plated one (10) and scored twice. He extended his hitting streak to six games (9-for-23/.391).
- SS Carlos Sepulveda (.230) went 2-for-4, marking his second consecutive multi-hit game.
- RF Michael Foster (.308) went 2-for-3, marking his second multi-hit game of the campaign.