Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/27/15
There were only three minor league teams in action Monday, but Iowa, Myrtle Beach and Eugene all secured wins. Tennessee, South Bend and Mesa had the day off. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (53-49)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-9.5)
Iowa snapped a six-game skid, topping Memphis, 8-3. The I-Cubs blasted three homers in the victory.
- 3B Mike Olt (.284) went 3-for-5, homered in his third straight game (5), knocked a double (8), plated one (14) and scored three times. It extended his hitting streak to eight games (13-for-29/.448).
- SS Chris Valaika (.249) went 2-for-3, crushed a two-run homer (5), drove in three (24) and scored once.
- 1B Christian Villanueva (.279) went 2-for-5 with a home run (14), two RBI (54) and one run scored.
- CF Matt Szczur (.304) went 2-for-5, extending his hitting streak to seven games (13-for-29/.448).
- RF John Andreoli (.273) went 1-for-3 with a double (12), drove in one (14), drew a walk and scored once.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada (3.11) earned the win and tossed his fourth quality start with Iowa, giving up no earned runs in 6.0 innings and striking out six.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (17-15)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-2.5)
Myrtle Beach won its second straight game, topping Carolina in the series finale, 4-3.
- 1B Jason Vosler (.231) went 1-for-3 and blasted a three-run homer (1) in the sixth inning to tie the game.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.279) went 2-for-4 with a double (9), a stolen base (16) and one run scored, extending his hitting streak to 14 games (18-for-53/.340).
- CF Trey Martin (.231) plated the game-winning run (21) on a sacrifice fly in the seventh.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (3.48) earned his third straight win and fourth quality start of the season.
Eugene Emeralds (1-0)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene opened the second half of the season with a 9-5 victory over Boise.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.237) went 2-for-4, blasted a homer (3), plated three (16), drew a walk, swiped two bases and scored twice. It extended his hitting streak to seven games (8-for-29/.276).
- 1B Matt Rose (.275) went 2-for-4 with a double (7), an RBI (27), a walk and one run scored. He now has a six-game hitting streak (11-for-24/.458).
- DH Ian Rice (.266) went 2-for-5 with a double (3) and plated one run (5).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.276) went 1-for-5 with a double (5), an RBI (12) and two runs scored.
- 3B Blake Headley (.230) went 1-for-3 with a double (4), plated one (9), drew a walk and scored once.