Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/18/15
South Bend jumped out to an early lead, and Mesa scored some late runs in victories Tuesday. Iowa and Eugene both lost one-run games, while Tennessee and Myrtle Beach were rained out. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (67-56)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Iowa allowed a run in the bottom of the ninth to fall to Las Vegas in the series finale, 6-5.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.235) went 3-for-4 and scored once, marking his seventh three-hit game.
- SS Javier Baez (.291) went 2-for-5 with one run scored, extending his hitting streak to four games (.421/8-for-19).
- 1B Mike Olt (.247) recorded a double (12) and drove in two runs (20).
- PH Adron Chambers (.270) went 1-for-1 with a two-run single in the fifth (27).
South Bend Cubs (26-24)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
South Bend jumped out to a 7-0 lead after two innings and held on for a 7-2 win over Dayton.
- RHP Erick Leal (4.27) pitched 5.0 scoreless innings, striking out four, to pick up the win.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.276) went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and a stolen base, marking his 12th three-hit game.
- LF Ian Happ (.282) finished 2-for-3 with a double (5), a walk, a run scored and two RBI (17). Happ has 12 RBI in his last five games.
- 2B David Bote (.255) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and a two-run homer.
- 1B Matt Rose (.344) and CF Rashad Crawford (.283) added multi-hit efforts.
Eugene Emeralds (11-9)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Second Place (-2.0)
Eugene surrendered five runs in the third inning, falling at Boise, 5-4.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.257) recorded a season-high four hits (4-for-5), swiped two bases and scored three runs, extending his hitting streak to 11 games (16-for-48/.333).
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.268) went 1-for-5 with a double (18) and an RBI (24).
- 3B Andrew Ely (.303) went 1-for-3 and plated one (9).
Mesa Cubs (11-7)
Arizona Rookie League
Third Place (-1.0)
Mesa scored two runs in both the eighth and ninth innings, topping the AZL Reds, 5-3.
- LF Chris Pieters (.429) went 2-for-3 with two doubles (4), an RBI (4) and one run scored. He has recorded a hit in his first four games with Mesa (6-for-14), with four doubles during that stretch.
- DH Daniel Spingola (.500) went 2-for-3, knocked a double (4), plated one (5) and scored once.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.288) also finished 2-for-3, drew a walk and scored once.
- LHP Ariel Ovando (0.53) earned the win, fanning four batters in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- RHP Duane Underwood (0.00) drew a no decision in his first appearance since June 26.