Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/24/15
Iowa, South Bend and Mesa all grabbed victories Monday, while Tennessee salvaged a doubleheader split. Myrtle Beach’s offense was held in check, and Eugene’s game was suspended due to a power outage. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (71-57)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Second Place (-6.5)
Iowa scored eight runs in the fourth and blanked Fresno, 9-0.
- 3B Javier Baez (.315) went a perfect 4-for-4 with a double (14), a home run (13), a walk, a stolen base (16), two RBI (57) and three runs scored. Baez extended his hitting streak to nine games (20-for-42/.476) with eight multi-hit games in that stretch.
- C Taylor Teagarden (.319) went 2-for-4 with a double (8), plated three runs (26) and scored once, extending his hitting streak to six games (.565/13-for-23).
- LF John Andreoli (.286) finished 2-for-5, swiped a base (28) and scored once.
- RF Adron Chambers (.275) went 2-for-4 and scored once.
- LHP Eric Jokisch (4.26) earned the win and tossed a season high 6.0 scoreless frames.
Tennessee Smokies (28-29)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Tennessee split a twinbill at Chattanooga. The Smokies surrendered three runs in the third inning of Game 1, falling 4-2, but topped the Lookouts in Game 2, 4-1.
- C-DH Willson Contreras (.326) compiled a 4-for-6 day with a solo homer (8) and a walk in Game 1 and a double (31), stolen base (2) and run scored in Game 2.
- SS Jonathan Mota (.242) had three hits on the day in five at-bats, blasting a solo homer (1), driving in two (13) and scoring once.
- PH-RF Anthony Giansanti (.240) went 1-for-1 with an RBI double (4) that plated two (19) in Game 2.
- RHP Pierce Johnson (2.22) tossed a complete game, 6.0-inning effort but took the loss in the first game.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (34-23)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-2.5)
Myrtle Beach recorded just six hits in a 5-1 setback in the series opener against Winston-Salem.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.278) went 2-for-4, knocked a triple (5) and drove in one (53).
- DH Ben Carhart (.260) extended his hitting streak to six games (.429/9-for-21), as he went 1-for-3 and drew a walk.
- SS Chesny Young (.329) finished 1-for-4 with one run scored.
South Bend Cubs (29-27)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Third Place (-8.0)
South Bend won its second straight contest, topping West Michigan, 4-2.
- DH Kevin Encarnacion (.283) went 3-for-4, drove in one (13) and scored once, marking his second consecutive three-hit game.
- 1B Matt Rose (.308) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (10).
- 2B-1B David Bote (.259) finished 1-for-3, knocked a double (18) and scored twice, extending his hitting streak to seven games (9-for-27/.333).
- RHP Erick Leal (3.29) surrendered two earned runs in 5.0 innings, fanning seven in the win.
- RHP Michael Wagner (3.22) earned the save and tossed 4.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (15-8)
Arizona Rookie League
T-First Place (–)
Mesa scored four runs in both the first and sixth innings, rolling to a 9-2 victory over the AZL Angels.
- 1B Chris Pieters (.258) went 1-for-5 with a double (5), two RBI (6) and one run scored.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.281) finished 1-for-4, drew a walk, plated one (24) and scored twice.
- RF Robert Garcia (.331) went 2-for-5 and scored once.
- 3B Angelo Amendolare (.268) went 1-for-2 with an RBI (6). He has recorded a hit in five straight games.
- RHP Dylan Cease (2.63) tossed his sixth scoreless outing and fanned a season-high five batters.