Cubs Minor League Recap: 9/7/15
South Bend closed out its campaign with a win, and Tennessee salvaged a doubleheader split to end the year. Both Iowa and Myrtle Beach finished the regular season on a losing note. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (80-64)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Iowa allowed seven runs in the final two innings, falling 7-4 in the season finale at Round Rock. Iowa finished 80-64, the fifth-most wins in Iowa’s Pacific Coast League history.
- CF John Andreoli (.277) went 2-for-4 with a solo home run and a stolen base (33). It was his second straight multi-hit game. He led the team in stolen bases.
- DH Mike Baxter (.279) finished 2-for-4 with a triple (3) and a run scored.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.259) went 1-for-4 with his team-high 18th home run.
Tennessee Smokies (37-33)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-6.0)
Tennessee closed out its 2015 season by splitting a doubleheader at Biloxi.
- C Willson Contreras went 4-for-4 in Game 1 to raise his batting average to .333, clinching the Southern League batting title. Contreras is the first Smokies player to win the batting title since Joe Gate in 1978 and the sixth overall in club history. He finished the season with a six-game hitting streak (.444/12-for-27).
- RHP Neil Ramirez fanned one batter in 1.0 scoreless inning of relief, collecting the win in Game 1.
- SS Bryant Flete (.195) and C Tyler Pearson (.150) each tripled in Game 2, the only extra-base hits on the day for Tennessee.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (40-29)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-5.5)
Myrtle Beach allowed five runs in the second inning, dropping a 5-4 decision at Wilmington in the regular season finale. The Pelicans will face Winston-Salem in the best-of-three Southern League Division Championship Series beginning Wednesday.
- CF Pin-Chieh Chen (.268) went 2-for-5 with a home run, two runs scored and two RBI (34).
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.249) finished 2-for-3 with a walk and an RBI (69).
- RF Mark Zagunis (.271) reached three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks, one run scored and one RBI (54).
- LHP Tyler Ihrig (2.86) fanned four batters in 3.0 scoreless innings of relief, allowing just two hits.
South Bend Cubs (36-34)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Third Place (-9.0)
South Bend closed out the 2015 season with a 3-0 shutout victory at Lake County.
- DH Kevin Encarnacion (.276) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (17).
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.238) went 2-for-4 with a double (18), a run scored and an RBI (34).
- RHP Trevor Clifton went 5-1 with a 1.96 ERA (8 ER/36.2 IP) in his final six starts.