Cubs Minor League Report: 4/11/16
Iowa picked up its first win of the season while Myrtle Beach and South Bend each claimed victories in walk-off fashion Monday. Tennessee’s offense was there, but it couldn’t secure the win. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (1-4)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-3.0 games back)
Iowa claimed its first victory of the season, cruising past visiting New Orleans, 9-1.
- RHP Pierce Johnson (0.00) pitched three scoreless innings, striking out five and giving up two hits.
- In his first rehab appearance, 3B Javier Baez (.333) went 1 for 3 with a solo homer (1) in the fifth inning.
- C Willson Contreras (.474) went 4 for 5 with a double (2) and four RBI (4). He has hit safely in all five games this season (9-for-19).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.421) finished 3 for 4 with a walk, a double (2), a run scored and an RBI (5).
- RF John Andreoli (.263) reached base three times and scored three times, going 1 for 3 with two walks, an RBI and a stolen base (1).
- RHP Felix Pena (2 IP, 2 H, 3 SO) and RHP Brandon Gomes (2 IP, 2 SO) each tossed two scoreless frames.
Tennessee Smokies (2-3)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
Tennessee out-hit Mobile 15-7 but dropped the rubber game of the five-game set, 5-4.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (0.00) pitched three scoreless innings, fanning four. He had to exit the game early after getting hit with a line drive.
- 2B Chesny Young went 2 for 4 with a walk and his second homer of the season, a solo shot.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.333) went 3 for 4 with a double (2).
- CF Bijan Rademacher (.500), RF Billy McKinney (.235) and 1B Victor Caratini (.214) all tallied multi-hit efforts. Rademacher has started the season 6 for 12.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (3-2)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-First Place (–)
Myrtle Beach rallied for three runs in the ninth inning, highlighted by an Ian Happ two-run, walk-off double, to defeat Winston-Salem, 5-4.
- 2B Ian Happ (.211) went 1 for 5 with the walk-off two-RBI double in the ninth inning.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.389) reached three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks.
- The Pelicans collected 11 walks, but just six hits.
- RHP Dave Berg (1 IP) collected the win, tossing a scoreless top of the ninth inning.
South Bend Cubs (2-2)
Midwest League (Single-A)
T-Fourth Place (-0.5)
RF Eloy Jimenez hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth to lift South Bend to a 7-6 victory.
- CF Eddy Martinez (.375) went 2 for 4 with a solo homer (1) in the fourth inning, his first professional home run. He has three multi-hit efforts in four games this season.
- LF Donnie Dewees (.353) went 2 for 5 with a double (1) and two RBI (3).
- SS Bryant Flete (.625) went 2 for 3 with a double (1) and two runs scored. He has gone 5 for 8 in his first three games.
- All nine starters either reached base or scored a run.