Cubs Minor League Report: 4/20/16
Cubs affiliates won two and dropped two Wednesday, with both Myrtle Beach and South Bend coming out on top. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league action:
Iowa Cubs (4-8)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-4.0)
Iowa dropped its second straight contest, falling in walk-off fashion at New Orleans, 3-2.
- CF Albert Almora (.368) went 3 for 4 with a double (2) and a solo homer, his first longball of the season. He has hit safely in six-straight games (.478/11 for 23), including two straight three-hit games.
- RF Juan Perez (.280) went 2 for 5 with a solo homer, his first of the season.
- LF Matt Murton (.400) added a multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 in his first start of the season.
- RHP Drew Rucinski struck out 10 batters, one shy of his career high.
- RHP Carl Edwards Jr. (1 IP, 1 SO) struck out one in a scoreless inning of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (6-8)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-3.5)
The Smokies allowed three runs in the ninth inning to drop a 6-5 decision to the Biscuits.
- 2B Chesny Young (.326) went a perfect 4 for 4 with a walk, an RBI (4) and two stolen bases (7). He has swiped two bases in three straight games.
- C David Freitas (.278) reached base three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 SO) and RHP Juan Paniagua (2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 BB) combined for 4.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (7-7)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-3.0)
Myrtle Beach scored three runs in the eighth inning to defeat Winston-Salem, 4-1.
- SS Daniel Lockhart (.143) went 2 for 4 with a double (1) and a run scored.
- 2B David Bote (.294) hit a go-ahead solo homer in the eighth and finished 1-for-4 with two RBI (3).
- RHP Zach Hedges has allowed just two earned runs in 13.2 innings over his last two starts.
- RHP James Farris (2.0 IP, 1 BB, 3 SO) tossed 2 scoreless frames to collect his second save. He has allowed just three hits and one run in 10 innings this season, fanning 15 and walking one.
South Bend Cubs (7-6)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Fourth Place (-2.5)
South Bend scored four runs in both the first and third innings, cruising to an 8-4 win over Bowling Green.
- 1B Tyler Alamo (.455) went 3 for 4 with a double (1) and an RBI (4). He has hit safely in all six games this season (10 for 22), including three multi-hit efforts.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.224) went 2 for 4 with two runs scored and two RBI (7).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.250) went 2 for 3 with a walk and two runs scored.
- RHP Craig Brooks (2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 5 SO) struck out five batters in 2 scoreless innings.