Cubs Minor League Report: 4/26/16
Tennessee rolled and South Bend extended its winning streak Tuesday, while Iowa and Myrtle Beach couldn’t do enough to secure wins. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s Cubs minor-league action.
Iowa Cubs (7-11)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-5.0)
The I-Cubs outhit Oklahoma City but were not able to overcome a three-run Dodgers homer in the third inning, dropping the final game of the series, 4-2.
- LF Matt Murton (.250) was 2 for 4 with a pair of RBI (6). It was his second straight two-hit game.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.362) added a multi-hit effort, going 2 for 4 with a double (5).
- CF Albert Almora (.344) was also 2 for 4.
- RHP Miguel Mejia (1.1 IP, 3 SO), RHP Felix Peña (2 IP, 3 SO) and LHP C.J. Riefenhauser (1 IP) combined to throw 4.1 hitless innings to finish the game. Mejia and Peña fanned six batters in their 3.1 innings of work.
Tennessee Smokies (11-9)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-1.5)
Led by Jeimer Candelario’s six-RBI performance, the Smokies triumphed over Mobile, 11-2.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.217) led the way, going 2 for 3 with a double (5), a three-run homer (2), two walks and two runs scored. He tied a career-high with six RBI (April 28, 2014 with Single-A Daytona).
- 2B Chesny Young (.382) went 3 for 4 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- RF Anthony Giansanti (.231) was 1 for 1 with a solo homer (1), a walk and two runs scored.
- C Victor Caratini (.259) finished 2 for 3 with a double (4), two RBI (8), two walks and a run scored.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (5.82) picked up his first win of the season, giving up two earned runs in five innings.
- RHP Starling Peralta (2 IP, 1 H, 2 SO), RHP Juan Paniagua (1 IP, 1 H, 1 SO) and RHP Josh Conway (1 IP, 1 BB) combined to toss four scoreless innings.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (10-9)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-1.0)
Myrtle Beach went 1 for 9 with runners in scoring position and fell to Potomac, 7-4.
- DH Daniel Lockhart (.185) went 2 for 3 with a double (2), a triple (1), two runs scored and a walk. It’s his second two-hit game of the season.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.246) was 1 for 4 with an RBI (8) and managed to accumulate three outfield assists as well.
- LHP Jordan Minch (1 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 1 SO) tossed a scoreless eighth inning.
South Bend Cubs (12-6)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-0.5)
The SB-Cubs extended their winning streak to six games as they topped Quad Cities, 7-5. The streak is the longest since South Bend became a Cubs affiliate in 2015.
- DH Daniel Spingola (.377) went 2 for 4 with a double (4), two RBI (7), a HBP and a run scored. It extended his hitting streak to nine games.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.357) was 1 for 5 with a triple (6) and an RBI (14). He leads the Midwest League in extra-base hits (13).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.286) collected a multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 with an RBI (12) and a run scored. It extended his hitting streak to six games.
- RHP Casey Bloomquist (3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 SO) tossed three frames of one-hit, no-run ball.