Cubs Minor League Report: 5/11/16
Iowa and South Bend collected wins Wednesday, but Tennessee and Myrtle Beach were on the losing end of their matchups. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (16-15)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-2.0)
Iowa claimed its seventh win in the last nine games, topping visiting Nashville, 4-2.
- DH Miguel Montero (.286) went 2 for 4 with two RBI in his second rehab game. He is 2 for 7 with Iowa.
- CF Albert Almora (.322) finished 2 for 5 with two doubles (6), two runs scored and an RBI (17). He has hit safely in eight straight games (13 for 39) with multi-hit games in three of his last four.
- SS Kristopher Negron (.300) went 2 for 4 with a double (4) and run scored.
- 3B Taylor Davis (.344) extended his hitting streak to six games (9 for 21), going 2 for 4.
Tennessee Smokies (15-18)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-5.0)
The Smokies lost their third straight game at Montgomery, falling 8-1.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.265) had the team’s only multi-hit game, going 2 for 4.
- 1B David Freitas (.261) went 1 for 4 with a double (3) and an RBI (7).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.246) and DH Kelly Dugan (.269) each walked twice.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (16-15)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-6.5)
The Pelicans collected just five hits in a 5-1 setback at home against Winston-Salem.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.189) hit a solo homer (3) in the third inning for the only Pelicans run. He has an RBI in each of his last four games.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.261) went 2 for 4 with a double (6).
- 3B Jason Vosler (.324) reached twice, going 1 for 3 with a walk. He is batting .355 (11 for 31) in May.
- RHP Zach Hedges (1.89 ERA) gave up two earned runs in six innings, striking out six. He tossed his fifth straight quality start, posting a 1.38 ERA (5 ER/32.2 IP) during that stretch.
South Bend Cubs (19-12)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-1.0)
South Bend blanked host Dayton, 2-0. The SB-Cubs have won five of their last six games.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.301) went a perfect 4 for 4 with three doubles (5), a run scored and a stolen base (1).
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.385) added a season-high three hits, going 3 for 4 with an RBI (4).
- LHP Justin Steele (7.08 ERA) fanned six in five scoreless innings for the win.
- RHP Kyle Miller (2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 SO) has allowed just one earned run in 8.1 innings (1.08 ERA) this year.