Cubs Minor League Report: 5/15/16
Tennessee cruised to a win, and Myrtle Beach earned a shutout victory to continue its streak Sunday. Iowa and South Bend both fell, however. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (18-17)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
Iowa surrendered seven runs in the first two frames and lost 9-3 at Reno.
- SS Kristopher Negron (.294) finished 2 for 4 with a double (5), a triple (2) and two runs scored.
- C Taylor Davis (.325) went 2 for 4 with a double (3).
- RF Shane Victorino (.231) reached twice, going 0 for 2 with two walks and a run scored. He has reached base in six of his seven games played.
- RHP Felix Pena (2 IP, 2 BB, 1 SO), RHP Brandon Gomes (1 IP, 1 SO) and RHP Spencer Patton (1 IP, 2 BB, 1 SO) combined for four scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (20-15)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-5.5)
The Smokies led 9-3 after four innings and cruised to a 12-4 victory over visiting Birmingham.
- C Victor Caratini (.288) finished 3 for 5 with two runs scored and two RBI (14).
- LF Mark Zagunis (.268) reached base four times, going 2 for 3 with two walks, a double (6), three runs scored and two RBI (13). He has six walks in the last three games.
- DH Kelly Dugan (.293) went 2 for 2 with a double (3), two walks and two RBI (18). He has scored or driven in a run in 13 of 15 games this season.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.197) and RF Billy McKinney (.228) each added multi-hit games, and CF Jacob Hannemann (.245) walked twice and scored three runs.
- RHP Juan Paniagua (3 IP, 1 BB, 3 SO) picked up his first win, tossing three scoreless frames.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (20-15)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-5.5)
The Pelicans earned their fourth straight victory, defeating host Frederick, 8-5.
- LF Charcer Burks (.200) finished 2 for 3 with a walk, triple (2), solo home run (3) and two runs scored.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.252) went 2 for 4 with a walk, double (8), run scored and two RBI (18).
- 2B Ian Happ (.273), 3B Jason Vosler (.331) and RF Jeffrey Baez (.212) all added two-hit games.
- RHP Jake Stinnett (2.94 ERA) gave up two earned runs in six innings to pick up the win. He struck out five in his third quality start of the season.
South Bend Cubs (21-14)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-1.0)
South Bend led 6-4 before allowing three unanswered runs, falling 7-6 at Lansing.
- 2B Sutton Whiting (.235) had the only multi-hit game, going 2 for 3 with a walk and an RBI (4).
- RF Eddy Martinez (.237) went 1 for 2 with two walks, a double (5), a run scored, an RBI (20) and a stolen base (3).
- 1B Tyler Alamo (.325) drove in two runs (16), going 1 for 4 with a run scored.