Cubs Minor League Report: 5/23/16
Tennessee won via walk-off, pitching powered Myrtle Beach, and South Bend kept its winning streak alive. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (18-24)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-6.0)
Iowa dropped its eighth straight game, falling 6-1 at home to El Paso.
- C Willson Contreras (.328) homered in the first inning, his fourth of the year.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.250) went 2 for 3 for his ninth multi-hit game.
- RHP Stephen Fife (3.18 ERA) struck out five batters in four scoreless innings in his first start since April 13.
- RHP Felix Pena (1.2 IP, 1 H, 3 SO) and RHP Carl Edwards Jr. (1 IP, 1 BB, 3 SO) combined for 2.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (21-14)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Third Place (-6.5)
Billy McKinney hit a walk-off single in the 12th inning to lift the Smokies to a 3-2 win over Biloxi.
- RF Billy McKinney (.234) finished 2 for 6.
- RHP Brad Markey (2.64 ERA) gave up two earned runs in six innings, striking out four.
- 2B Chesny Young (.309) went 3 for 6 with a double (3) and two runs scored.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.233) was 3 for 6 with an RBI (21). He has four multi-hit games in his last five contests (9 for 21).
- SS Carlos Penalver (.241) also added a three-hit game, going 3 for 5.
- RHP Starling Peralta (3 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 SO) and RHP Miguel Mejia (2 IP, 2 H, 4 SO) each tossed multiple scoreless innings of relief.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (24-19)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-5.5)
The Pelicans collected just five hits but prevailed 3-1 over visiting Lynchburg.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.268) was 2 for 4 with a triple (3), a solo homer (2), two runs scored and two RBI (8). He has hit safely in seven of his last eight games.
- RHP Zach Hedges (2.70 ERA) surrendered just one earned run in seven innings of work to pick up the win. He has tossed six quality starts this season.
- LHP Tommy Thorpe (2 IP, 3 SO) picked up his first save, tossing two perfect innings of relief.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert was named Carolina League Player of the Week for May 16-22.
South Bend Cubs (26-16)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+3.0)
First place South Bend earned its fourth straight victory, topping Lake County, 6-3.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.338) went 3 for 4 with a double (12), a walk and an RBI (25). He has hit safely in 10 straight games (.476/20 for 42) and has four homers in his last five games. He was named Midwest League Player of the Week for May 16-22.
- C P.J. Higgins (.291) reached four times, going 2 for 3 with a double (11), two walks and a run scored.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.319) added two hits, finishing 2 for 4 with a double (7), a walk and two runs scored.
- 1B Tyler Alamo (.289) went 1 for 4 with a go-ahead two-run homer in the sixth inning.
- LHP Carson Sands (3.38) pitched seven innings, giving up three runs and striking out three. He has won his last four starts, going 4-0 with a 1.57 ERA (4 ER/23 IP) in May.