Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/6/16
For as positive as Sunday was, it just wasn’t in the cards for Cubs affiliates Monday. Both Iowa and Tennessee picked up losses, while Myrtle Beach was rained out and South Bend was off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (28-27)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Iowa had its nine-game winning streak snapped, collecting just three hits in a 6-2 setback to Memphis.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.308) went 1 for 3 with a two-run homer (9) in the fourth inning. He leads the team with 40 RBI this season.
- C Willson Contreras (.343) was 2 for 2 with a walk and a run scored. He extended his hitting streak to 14 games (.375/21 for 56) and has a .436 OBP on the season.
- RHP Drew Rucinski allowed just two earned runs in 5.2 innings, his third straight start allowing two or fewer earned runs.
Tennessee Smokies (25-32)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-12.0)
The Smokies went 1 for 15 with runners in scoring position, falling 3-1 at Mississippi.
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.421) finished 2 for 4 and has hit safely in all five games with Tennessee (8 for 19).
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.291) reached three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks.
- 2B Chesny Young (.299) and 3B Jeimer Candelario (.222) each went 1 for 4 with an extra-base hit and a walk.
- RHP Starling Peralta (2.1 IP) tossed two or more scoreless innings for the seventh time this season.