Cubs Minor League Report: 6/15/16
The bats came alive for Iowa, and Myrtle Beach claimed a narrow victory Wednesday. However, South Bend left too many men on base, while Tennessee was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (31-32)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
Iowa tallied 15 hits in a 6-5 triumph over host Colorado Springs.
- C Willson Contreras (.350) extended his hitting streak to 20 games (.383/31 for 81), going 1 for 5 with a run scored and an RBI (43).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.360) finished 3 for 3 with a triple (1), a walk, a run scored and an RBI (7).
- CF John Andreoli (.227) went 3 for 5 with a triple (4), a run scored and an RBI (32). It’s his second straight three-hit game. He has scored nine runs in his last five games.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.429) was 3 for 4 with two doubles (4), one walk and two runs scored. He has collected multiple hits in five straight games, going 11 for 19 with eight runs during that stretch.
- 2B Logan Watkins (.246) went 3 for 4 with a walk, two RBI (19) and two stolen bases (7). He is 7 for 9 in his last two games.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (34-31)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-7.0)
Myrtle Beach scored a run in the fourth inning and held on for a 1-0 shutout win over Frederick.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.254) had the team’s only multi-hit game, going 2 for 4 with a double (15) and a stolen base (11).
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.228) went 0 for 3 with a walk and scored the game’s only run on a wild pitch.
- LF Charcer Burks (.216) went 1 for 3 with a double (10).
- RHP Jake Stinnett (3.78 ERA) tossed seven scoreless innings, fanning seven and walking just two to earn the win. It’s his longest scoreless outing of the season.
- RHP Ryan McNeil (2 IP, 1 SO) has not allowed a run in his last seven appearances (6 IP).
South Bend Cubs (39-26)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.0)
South Bend went 1 for 11 with runners in scoring position, falling 3-2 at Dayton.
- DH Ian Rice (.327) went 2 for 4 with a solo homer (7) in the sixth inning. He has scored a run and driven in a run in each of his last three games.
- CF Roberto Caro (.333) reached three times, going 2 for 3 with a walk.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.329) was 2 for 4 with a double (21) and a run scored, extending his hitting streak to 10 games (.400/16 for 40). He has hit safely in 28 of his last 31 games.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.248) finished 2 for 4 with a double (11).