Cubs Minor League Report: 6/26/16
It was a big day for Cubs affiliates as everyone in action secured wins Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (36-38)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Second Place (-4.5)
Iowa defeated Oklahoma City, 6-5 in eight innings in the first game of a doubleheader Sunday. Game 2 was postponed due to inclement weather and will be played as part of a doubleheader tonight.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.301) went 2 for 3 with a solo homer (14), a walk and two runs scored.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.314) was 2 for 5 with a run scored.
- 2B Vimael Machin (.364) finished 2 for 3 with a walk, an RBI (1) and two runs scored.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (5.05) tossed his second quality start of the season with Iowa, fanning three in seven innings.
Tennessee Smokies (2-2)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-1.0)
The Smokies allowed just three singles in a 3-0 blanking of visiting Pensacola.
- 2B Ian Happ (.667) recorded his second straight three-hit game, going 3 for 4 with a double (2) and an RBI (3). He has three multi-hit games in his first three starts with the Smokies.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.244) went 2 for 4 with a run scored and a stolen base (25).
- RF Billy McKinney (.259) finished 2 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
- RHP Paul Blackburn (2.35 ERA) fanned five in six scoreless innings, picking up his fifth win of the year. He notched his seventh start of the season without allowing an earned run.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (2-2)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-Third Place (-1.0)
Myrtle Beach hit two solo home runs in a 2-1 victory over Carolina.
- C Ian Rice (.455) went 2 for 4 with a game-winning homer in the bottom of the eighth inning, his first longball with Myrtle Beach.
- LF Charcer Burks (.222) was 1 for 3 with a walk and a solo homer (6).
- RHP Jake Stinnett (3.36 ERA) did not allow an earned run in a season-high eight innings. He has gone 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA (0 ER/15.0 IP) in his last two starts.
South Bend Cubs (4-0)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (–)
SB jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the second inning and cruised to an 11-1 victory over host Dayton.
- C P.J. Higgins (.295) reached base five times, going 3 for 4 with two walks, a double (16), three runs scored and three RBI (23).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.342) was 2 for 2 with two RBI (54) and a stolen base (5). He is batting .370 (30 for 81) in 21 June contests.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.315), CF Donnie Dewees (.257) and RF Eddy Martinez (.236) all tallied two-hit games with a double.
- 1B Tyler Alamo (.261) went 1 for 4 with a two-run homer and three RBI (35).
Eugene Emeralds (7-3)
Northwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.0)
The Emeralds won their third straight game, prevailing over Spokane, 4-1.
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.158) was 1 for 4 with a two-run homer, his first of the season.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.386) extended his hitting streak to six games (.500/11 for 22), going 1 for 3 with a run scored.
- LHP Manuel Rondon (0.90 ERA) has allowed one run in 10 innings in his first two starts.