Cubs Minor League Report: 7/13/16
Myrtle Beach battled back to pick up a win, but they were the only Cubs side to come out on top Wednesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Tennessee Smokies (9-10)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-2.5)
The Smokies dropped the rubber game of the five-game set vs. Chattanooga, 11-1.
- 2B Ian Happ (.364) was 2 for 4, snapping a three-game hitless skid.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.207) went 2 for 3 with an RBI (26). It was his first multi-hit game since June 5.
- The Smokies collected seven hits, all singles, in the setback.
- RHP Starling Peralta (4 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 4 SO) tied a season-high with four scoreless innings pitched.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (11-9)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.5)
Myrtle Beach rallied from a 4-1 deficit to defeat visiting Frederick, 5-4.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.227) went 3 for 4 with a two-run homer (12) and two runs scored.
- LF Charcer Burks (.236) finished 2 for 4 with a solo homer (7) and three RBI (22).
- RHP James Pugliese (3 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 5 SO) made his seventh relief outing of at least three innings.
- RHP Ryan McNeil (1 IP, 1 H, 1 SO) collected his 13th save.
Eugene Emeralds (17-9)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene dropped its third straight game, falling 3-2 at Tri-City to open up a five-game set.
- SS Yeiler Peguero (.284) went 2 for 4, his eighth multi-hit game of the season.
- LF Kevonte Mitchell (.205) and C Tyler Payne (.289) each singled and scored a run. Payne has scored a run in four straight and five of the last six games.
- RHP M.T. Minacci (2.1 IP, 1 H, 2 SO) allowed just one hit in 2.1 innings of relief.