Cubs Minor League Report: 8/11/16
It was a successful day for Cubs affiliates, as Myrtle Beach, South Bend and Eugene all picked up wins Thursday. Tennessee was rained out, while Iowa and Mesa had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league action.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (29-18)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+3.5)
Myrtle Beach took the series over Salem with a 3-2 victory.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.252) hit his organization-best 18th home run of the season, a solo shot in the third inning. He was 1-for-4 with one RBI (84) and a run scored.
- SS Andrew Ely (.235) had a multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with an RBI (10).
- CF Donnie Dewees (.271) and 3B Jesse Hodges (.235) both went 1-for-4 with a double. Hodges also scored once.
- C Erick Castillo recorded five outs defensively, catching three stealing and making two pick-offs.
- RHP Preston Morrison (1.37 ERA) gave up one earned run in 6.2 innings, striking out four. In nine starts (since June 16) at South Bend and Myrtle Beach, he is 6-1 with a 0.61 ERA (4 ER/59.2 IP). He has fanned 58 and walked only nine over that stretch.
South Bend Cubs (31-15)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-0.5)
After plating four runs in the first inning, the SB-Cubs held on to defeat host Dayton, 7-4.
- RHP Oscar De La Cruz (0.61) threw five no-hit innings before being lifted. He tossed 76 pitches, 57 for strikes. In three starts at South Bend (14.2 IP), he has allowed five hits and only one run while striking out 22 and walking three. Opposing batters are batting .104 against him.
- CF Connor Myers (.188) and SS Andruw Monasterio (.193) both went 2-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored. Myers also swiped a bag (4).
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda had a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with an RBI (21).
- 1B P.J. Higgins (.276) and 3B Matt Rose (.221) each tallied doubles as their lone base hit.
Eugene Emeralds (9-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
The Ems had 10 hits—five of which were extra-base knocks—en route to a 7-4 win and a sweep over Salem-Keizer. Eugene has won seven straight.
- RHP Dylan Cease (3.33 ERA) gave up one unearned run in 6.1 innings, striking out six and walking one.
- C Marcus Mastrobuoni (.245) was 3-for-3 with a homer (3), three RBI (14), a run scored and a walk.
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.238) homered (3) in his second straight game, going 1-for-4.
- 3B Wladimir Galindo (.249) went 2-for-4 with two doubles (13), an RBI (25) and two runs scored.
- LF Chris Pieters (.295) was 2-for-5 with a homer, RBI (25) and a run scored.