Cubs Minor League Report: 8/24/16
Tennessee kept its streak alive, Myrtle Beach claimed a postseason appearance, and South Bend was victorious with a walk-off in extras. Iowa had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Tennessee Smokies (25-33)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-10.0)
The Smokies claimed their fourth straight victory with a come-from-behind 6-5 triumph over Jackson.
- RHP Michael Wagner (3.35 ERA) surrendered two earned runs in 6.1 innings, striking out four batters.
- RF Lane Adams (.296) went 2-for-5 with a three-run homer (3), two runs scored and a stolen base (6). He has gone 15-for-35 (.429) with four doubles, three homers and 12 RBI in his last 10 games.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.205) went 2-for-3 with a run scored, an RBI (12) and a stolen base (2).
- SS Chesny Young (.300) went 1-for-3 with a walk, double (23), run scored and game-winning sac fly RBI in the ninth inning.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (37-21)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.0)
Myrtle Beach clinched a playoff berth with a 2-1, 10-inning win on the road at Carolina.
- 2B David Bote (.332) extended his hitting streak to 12 games (.412/21-for-51), going 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI (30).
- SS Andrew Ely (.251) went 2-for-4 with a game-winning RBI double in the 10th inning.
- RHP Preston Morrison (2.12 ERA) struck out five and gave up just one earned run in five innings.
South Bend Cubs (38-21)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-1.0)
South Bend scored two runs in the bottom of the 10th inning to walk-off with an 11-10 victory over West Michigan. The Cubs led 9-2 after four innings before seeing the game go to extras.
- Midwest League MVP Eloy Jimenez (.336) went 2-for-5 with a three-run homer (14) and two runs scored. He has homered in consecutive games and gone 7-for-18 in his last four contests.
- 3B Matt Rose (.236) went 3-for-5 with a double (13), a solo homer (12), two runs scored and two RBI (41). He has 16 RBI in his last 10 games.
- CF Roberto Caro (.255) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.326) went 3-for-5 with a double (13), three runs and one RBI (24). It’s his third straight multi-hit game (.500/7-for-14).
Eugene Emeralds (18-9)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene collected just one single and one walk in a 1-0 shutout loss vs. Everett.
- 1B Trent Giambrone (.302) recorded the team’s lone hit. He’s hit safely in eight of his last nine games.
- LHP Manuel Rondon (1.20 ERA) suffered his first loss of the season, surrendering the game’s lone run in his 3.2 innings. He’s now 6-1.
- RHP M.T. Minacci (2.1 IP, 1 BB) allowed no hits in 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (10-14)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-5.0)
Mesa notched just six hits in a 4-0 shutout defeat against the AZL Angels.
- LHP Pablo Ochoa (6.03 ERA) struck out three in four innings, giving up one run.
- CF Luis Ayala (.291) went 4-for-5 with a double (4), his first four-hit game of the season.
- RF Ruben Reyes (.254) went 2-for-5 and has reached base in seven straight games.
- 1B Michael Cruz (.248) and C Jhonny Pereda (.280) each went 0-for-2 with two walks.