It wasn’t the best of days for Cubs prospects or the Soler Sox, as Mesa fell 6-2 to Scottsdale on Saturday. The team combined for just three hits and committed three errors. Here are some notes from the action over the weekend:
- RHP Pierce Johnson (6.00) got the start and allowed two earned runs in 4.0 innings to take the loss. He surrendered five hits and three walks, but struck out four in the effort.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.208) was 0-for-2 with two bases on balls.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.350) drew a walk but finished 0-for-3, leaving four runners on base.
- RHP Corey Black (7.11) gave up two hits and an earned run in an inning of work. He struck out one batter.
Mesa will host Peoria Monday, with the first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
The Solar Sox got off to a fast start behind Cubs prospect Willson Contreras and defeated Surprise 5-3 Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- C Willson Contreras (.308) ripped a two-run homer to left-center field to put Mesa on the board in the first inning. He also singled to left in the sixth and scored on an Eric Aguilera (Angels) groundout. Contreras was 2-for-4.
- 2B Elliot Soto (.243) singled to right in the bottom of the first for his only hit of the game. He was driven in on the Contreras homer. The infielder finished 1-for-4.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.227) reached base on a walk but was 0-for-3 on the day.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.378) had his hot bat cooled. He went 0-for-4 on the day.
Mesa heads to Scottsdale Friday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time. Cubs lefty Rob Zastryzny is the scheduled starter.
Mesa claimed its third win of the season, 11-10, over Surprise Wednesday. All Cubs prospects in action contributed. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s AFL matchup:
- CF Mark Zagunis (.263) stepped up in the ninth inning with the game tied at 8 and lined a three-run homer over the left-field fence to score the go-ahead runs. He also recorded an RBI single in a three-run sixth inning, finishing 2-for-4 with a walk and two RBI.
- RHP Corey Black (6.75) pitched 1.1 innings of scoreless relief to pick up the win. He entered the game with two outs in the seventh, allowing just one base runner on a walk.
- DH Jeimer Candelario (.424) ripped a two-run double to left to get Mesa some big runs in the eighth inning. The third baseman also opened up the fourth with a single to right, going 2-for-5 on the day.
- SS Elliot Soto (.242) singled twice in his first two at-bats. Soto was also hit by a pitch in the eighth inning and eventually scored. He went 2-for-5.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.143) singled in the ninth inning and was eventually driven in on the Zagunis homer. He added an RBI groundout in the eighth and a pair of walks to finish 1-for-3.
Mesa was unable to carry momentum from Monday’s comeback win into Tuesday, as the Solar Sox fell 9-5 to Glendale. Here is how Cubs prospects fared during yesterday’s game:
- SS Elliot Soto (.214) singled on a line drive to center in the fourth, scoring a pair of runs to temporarily put the Solar Sox ahead. He also drew a walk in the third inning to finish 1-for-3.
- DH Willson Contreras (.286) drew a fourth-inning walk and scored three batters later on a Stephen McGee (Angels) sacrifice fly. He was 0-for-4 on the day.
- RHP David Garner (0.00) pitched a scoreless ninth inning for Mesa, striking out one and walking one in the hitless frame.
Mesa heads to Surprise Wednesday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
Some late-game heroics boosted Mesa to a 10-9 win over Glendale Monday. Four Cubs prospects recorded hits in a six-run ninth inning that led the Solar Sox to victory. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action:
- C Willson Contreras (.323) doubled in the eighth inning and singled in the ninth, going 2-for-4 on the game. He also recorded a sac fly in the third inning and scored both times he reached base.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.429) added a ninth-inning, two-run double that scored the then-game-tying and go-ahead runs. He finished 1-for-5.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.200) led off the ninth inning with a double to center. He was driven in two batters later. Zagunis drew a two-out walk in the first inning, going 1-for-4.
- SS Elliot Soto (.200) recorded an RBI single in the ninth inning for his lone hit of the game. He also reached on an error in the first. He scored runs on both occasions in his 1-for-4 effort.
- RHP Pierce Johnson (6.55) gave up two earned runs in 4.0 innings, striking out one in the no-decision.
Cubs pitchers were solid for the Solar Sox on Saturday, but Mesa dropped a 5-4 game to Salt River to fall to 1-9 on the season. Here are some Cubs notes from this weekend’s action:
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (4.91) struck out seven batters in 5.0 innings, giving up two earned runs on six hits and walking none in the no-decision. He exited the game with a 4-2 lead.
- RHP Corey Black (9.00) struck out two in an inning of work, giving up two hits and an unearned run, to earn his first hold of the season.
- RHP David Garner (0.00) also picked up a hold, pitching a scoreless eighth inning and striking out one.
- C Willson Contreras (.296) drove in the first run in a three-run third inning when he ripped a double to left field, scoring Chad Hinshaw (Angels). The next batter, Renato Nunez (Athletics), drove him in with a single up the middle. Contreras was 1-for-4 with a walk.
- 2B Elliot Soto (.190) had a one-out single to center in the third inning, finishing the afternoon 1-for-4.
Mesa heads to Glendale Monday, with Cubs pitcher Pierce Johnson scheduled to make the start.
Four members of the Cubs’ system got into Mesa’s 5-3 loss to Peoria on Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s AFL action:
- SS Elliot Soto recorded a pair of singles and finished 2-for-3 on the day.
- RHP Corey Black pitched a scoreless eighth inning, surrendering one hit.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario and C Willson Contreras, two of the league’s hottest hitters, were kept in check as they both wrapped up the day 0-for-4.
Mesa grabbed its first win of the season with a 5-4 decision over Scottsdale Tuesday. A Cubs infielder kept his torrid pace while another pitched well in relief to secure the victory. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action:
- 3B Jeimer Candelario ripped a two-run homer in the sixth inning and singled in the third for the Solar Sox. Candelario, the AFL Player of the Week for his efforts last week, finished the day 2-for-5.
- 2B Elliot Soto was 0-for-3 with a walk and scored the game-winning run on a Renato Nunez (Athletics) single in the top of the ninth.
- RHP Pierce Johnson got the start and gave up three earned runs in 4.0 innings, striking out four in the no-decision.
- RHP David Garner pitched a scoreless eighth and ninth inning to pick up the win. He struck out five and allowed just one hit.
Mesa couldn’t get into the win column Monday, falling 10-6 to Scottsdale. A few Cubs farmhands saw action yesterday, and here’s how they fared:
- C Willson Contreras singled in his first at-bat and added two walks in five plate appearances. He scored a run in the third inning and finished 1-for-3.
- LF Mark Zagunis recorded a pair of walks in an 0-for-2 effort.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny was the starting pitcher, giving up three earned runs in 4.0 innings. He struck out four in the no-decision.
Though Mesa pitching was off in a 20-6 loss to Surprise Sunday, Cubs prospects put on an offensive display, including one extraordinary effort. Here are some notes from Cubs players in action yesterday in the Arizona Fall League:
- 3B Jeimer Candelario had a game for the ages, ripping a solo shot in the third and another in the ninth. He also recorded three doubles, including run-scoring at-bats in the first and seventh innings. He finished the day 5-for-5 with 14 total bases and four RBI.
- 1B Willson Contreras recorded a single to lead off the second and an eighth-inning blast. The Cubs Minor League Player of the Year completed the day 2-for-4 with a walk.
- 2B Elliot Soto went 0-for-4 with an RBI groundout.
- RHP Corey Black struggled in an inning of work, surrendering four earned runs in relief.