Right-hander Ivan Pineyro got the start Tuesday, but his outing was brief in a 2-1 Solar Sox loss to Peoria. Here are some notes from Tuesday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP Ivan Pineyro fanned one of the game’s top prospects in Francisco Lindor, but had to be replaced just three batters into the game due to injury.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion pitched two innings of relief, giving up three hits and one unearned run while striking out one and walking none for Mesa.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach entered the game as a pinch-hitter in the third inning and finished the afternoon 0-for-2 with a seventh-inning walk.
Mesa heads to Scottsdale Wednesday with first pitch scheduled for 12:35.
A strong pitching effort from one of the Cubs’ top arms and solid efforts at the dish by two farmhands earned Mesa a 3-3, 11-inning tie Monday against Salt River. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP C.J. Edwards pitched three hitless innings, giving up no walks and striking out one. He lowered his ERA to 1.80 after four starts this fall.
- RF Jacob Hannemann had three hits, including a pair of triples and a single. He recorded the game-tying run in the ninth after his second three-bagger of the day. Hannemann finished 3-for-6.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach recorded a pair of singles and finished 2-for-5.
Mesa will host Peoria on Tuesday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time. Cubs right-hander Ivan Pineyro will take the mound for the Solar Sox.
Only one Cubs prospect got into Mesa’s 14-0 thumping of Surprise on Saturday. Here are some notes from this weekend’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RF Bijan Rademacher doubled in the first inning, scoring Matt Olson, and then tripled in the fifth, scoring Olson again. He finished 2-for-6 and added a run scored.
Mesa hosts Salt River Monday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time. Recently named AFL All-Star C.J. Edwards will make the start.
Mesa picked up a 7-3 win over Scottsdale with limited production from Cubs prospects Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- SS Addison Russell finished 1-for-4 with a two-run homer in the seventh, his second of the fall. It was announced after the game that this will be Russell’s final showing in the Arizona Fall League. Russell missed the early portion of 2014, so the front office brought the shortstop to Arizona to get a full season’s work.
- DH Dan Vogelbach went 0-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
The Solar Sox head to Peoria Friday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35. Cubs right-hander Armando Rivero is projected to start for Mesa.
The offense again carried Mesa to victory, this time a 9-3 win over Scottsdale Wednesday afternoon. Every Cubs prospect who got into the game contributed to the result. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP Ivan Pineyro earned the win despite a shaky second inning. He pitched 2.2 innings, giving up three earned runs on two hits and a walk, while striking out three. All his earned runs came on a three-run homer in the second.
- RF Bijan Rademacher was 2-for-4 on the day with a walk and two runs scored. He singled in the third and fifth innings. He also committed a fielding error in the game.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach went 2-for-4 with a walk and a run scored. He recorded singles in the second and eighth innings.
- SS Addison Russell went 1-for-6 with a two-RBI single in the second inning, scoring Rademacher and Chad Hinshaw (Angels). In the field, he committed his third error of the season.
Mesa will host Scottsdale Thursday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
It was a big day for Cubs bats as Mesa took down Surprise 11-6 Tuesday afternoon. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP C.J. Edwards got the start, giving up one earned run on one hit and three walks over two innings.
- DH Addison Russell hit his first homer of the AFL season and finished 2-for-5 with three RBI. With the bases loaded in the first inning, Russell drove in fellow farmhand Jacob Hannemann. Jon Berti (Blue Jays) scored on an error during the play. In the top of the fifth, Russell hit a two-run shot, scoring Matt Olson.
- LF Jacob Hannemann finished with three hits, two RBI and a run scored Tuesday. He led off the game with a single and scored on the Russell single. He recorded his second single in the fourth inning and drove in a run with an eighth-inning single.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion picked up his first win of the fall, going 2.1 innings, giving up one hit and striking out two.
Mesa heads to Scottsdale Wednesday where Cubs prospect Ivan Pineyro is scheduled to start. First pitch is slated for 12:35 local time.
Mesa’s late rally was thwarted by Surprise, as the Solar Sox fell 6-5 Monday, but three Cubs prospects got into the game. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- 1B Dan Vogelbach finished 1-for-3, with a double to lead off the third inning. He also recorded a sacrifice fly in the first to give Mesa an early lead and drew a ninth-inning walk.
- LF Jacob Hannemann went 1-for-4 with a bunt single in the second inning. He recorded an RBI groundout in the eighth as well.
- SS Addison Russell was 0-for-5 and committed his second error of the AFL season defensively. But he also helped turn two double plays.
Mesa heads to Surprise Tuesday, where Cubs farmhand C.J. Edwards is scheduled to start. The start time is 12:35 local time.
Mesa took it to one of the game’s best prospects, cruising to an 8-4 win over Diamondbacks farmhand Archie Bradley on Saturday. A trio of Cubs prospects were in the lineup, with mixed results. Here are some notes from Saturday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RF Bijan Rademacher went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles, an RBI and a run scored. In the second inning, he reached on a ball hit to the shortstop, scoring Eric Stamets (Angels) from second. In the fourth, he recorded a leadoff bunt single, moved to second on a throwing error, and got to third on a single. He then stole home.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach went 0-for-3 with two runs scored. He drew a walk in the first inning and scored on a Tony Renda (Nationals) triple. He reached on a fielder’s choice in the third and later scored on a sacrifice fly.
- DH Addison Russell finished the day 0-for-4 with two runs scored. He reached on a fielder’s choice in the first and scored on the Renda triple. Russell reached base in the third on a throwing error and scored three batters later from third on a force out.
Mesa hosts Surprise on Monday with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
A host of Cubs prospects were in action Thursday, and made a difference, as the Solar Sox captured a 6-2 win over Peoria. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP Ivan Pineyro got the start, pitching three scoreless innings in the win. He gave up four hits—all singles—and struck out three while walking none.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach went 2-for-4 with his first RBI of the fall. In the fourth inning, he doubled, scoring Addison Russell from second. He reached base again in the eighth with a soft single to left and scored on a Spencer Kieboom (Nationals) homer a batter later.
- RHP Zach Cates pitched two scoreless innings, striking out one while giving up two hits and a walk.
- SS Russell went 1-for-4, hitting a single in the eighth inning and reaching base on an error. He scored on the aforementioned Vogelbach double and Kieboom homer.
- DH Jacob Hannemann went 0-for-4.
Mesa hosts Surprise Friday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
Led by Cubs right-hander C.J. Edwards’ three solid innings of work, Mesa cruised to a 5-2 win over Peoria Wednesday. A few of the position players also made contributions in the victory. Here are some Cubs notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP C.J. Edwards gave up one hit and one walk over three scoreless innings, picking up his first win of the fall. He struck out three batters, including Francisco Lindor (Indians), one of the game’s top farmhands.
- RF Bijan Rademacher went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- DH Addison Russell was 1-for-3 with a run-scoring, second-inning double, bringing in Cal Towey (Angels). He also drew a walk.
Mesa hosts Peoria Thursday, with first pitch scheduled for 6:35 local time.