Iowa and Daytona both had offensive outbursts, and Kane County held on to capture a win Tuesday. Tennessee surrendered 14 runs in a loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (10-9)
T-2nd Place (-1.5)
Six extra-base hits and a quality start from Eric Jokisch helped Iowa to a 10-3 win over Round Rock.
- LHP Eric Jokisch picked up his first win of the season, going seven innings, giving up three runs on seven hits and no walks, and fanning eight.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.271) went 2-for-5 with two runs, a double, a homer and two RBI (10). It was his second homer in as many games.
- SS Javier Baez (.184) went 2-for-5 with a run, a triple and three RBI (6).
- DH Chris Valaika (.340) went 3-for-3 with a run, a double, a walk and an RBI.
- C Luis Flores (.300) went 2-for-3 with three runs, a walk and two RBI.
- Iowa hit .538 (7-for-13) with runners in scoring position.
Tennessee Smokies (9-10)
4th Place (-2.0)
Birmingham’s eight-run fifth and five-run eighth contributed to a Smokies 14-3 setback on the road.
- RHP Pierce Johnson was activated from the DL (right hamstring strain), and made his first career start at the Double-A level. He gave up three earned runs over four innings, striking out five.
- 3B Kris Bryant went 3-for-5 with a run and a double, raising his season average to .311.
- RHP Ryan Searle (9.26) allowed six earned runs in relief.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (4.70) replaced him and allowed five runs, three earned.
Daytona Cubs (5-13)
5th Place (-9.0)
Daytona tallied 14 runs on 12 extra-base hits between the third and sixth innings to win, 18-5, at Clearwater.
- RHP Tayler Scott earned the win, giving up one earned run over 5.1 innings and striking out one.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.250) launched his second homer, a two-out grand slam in the ninth inning, and went 3-for-5 with four runs, a walk, two doubles, the homer and four RBI (12).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.339) went 4-for-5 with four runs, a walk, a double, two triples and three RBI (11).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.474) added three hits, going 3-for-4 with four runs, a walk and an RBI.
Kane County (12-6)
1st Place (+0.5)
Kane County held off a late Beloit rally to win, 5-4, at home.
- RHP Paul Blackburn gave up one earned run over 5.1 innings, posting no strikeouts and walking two.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (2.2 IP, 1 ER, 1.64) and RHP Jose Arias (0.2 IP, 2 ER, 4.50) earned holds, while RHP Zack Godley (2.35 ERA) recorded a one-out save, his third.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.324) went 1-for-4 with a run, a walk and an RBI. His 15 RBI are tied for second in the league.
- Four other players recorded one RBI each: CF Jacob Hannemann (.226, 5), SS Carlos Penalver (.302, 6), DH Ben Carhart (.276, 8) and 3B David Bote (.225, 5).
Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all racked up big wins, while Kane County continued its small losing streak Monday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (9-9)
T-2nd Place (-1.5)
Six scoreless innings from RHP Kyle Hendricks helped Iowa beat Round Rock at home, 5-1.
- Hendricks completed his third consecutive quality start, going six innings, giving up two hits, walking two and fanning six to pick up his third win of the season.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin (1.86) earned his first hold with a 1-2-3 seventh, and RHP Brian Schlitter (3.60) earned his third save, allowing a run over two innings.
- CF Matt Szczur (.246) went 3-for-4 with a run, a triple (1), one RBI (8) and a stolen base (5).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.262) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and his first homer of the year.
Tennessee Smokies (9-9)
T-2nd Place (-2.0)
The Smokies scored a season-high 10 runs in Birmingham to beat the Barons, 10-5.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee gave up two earned runs over five innings, striking out four and walking five to earn the win.
- RF Rubi Silva (.206) notched his second straight, multi-RBI game, going 2-for-5 with a first-inning home run and a game-high three RBI (6).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.172) was 3-for-5 with three runs, a double and a solo homer, his first of the year.
- LF John Andreoli (.234) went 2-for-6 with two runs, a triple (1), one RBI (5) and a stolen base (8).
Daytona Cubs (4-13)
5th Place (-10.0)
Daytona battled Clearwater in a contest that featured five runs for each side in the first four innings, followed by six scoreless frames. The Cubs scored in the top of the 11th inning to win, 6-5.
- RHP Jake Arrieta made his fourth rehab start, and first with Daytona. Arrieta fanned seven hitters while allowing three home runs in 5.2 innings of work. He went 1-1 with a 0.73 ERA (1 ER/12.1 IP) in three starts with Tennessee.
- RHP Jose Rosario (1-2, 5.19) took over in the seventh and threw four scoreless frames for the win.
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (1.50) earned his first save with a perfect 11th inning of work.
- C Chadd Krist (3-for-5) doubled in the 11th to put two runners in scoring position.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (0-for-3, 2 R, 2 BB) scored on a wild pitch in the 11th to put the Cubs ahead.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.214) went 2-for-4 with a run, two doubles (3) and two RBI (5).
Kane County Cougars (11-6)
1st Place (+0.5)
Kane County lost its third straight game, falling to visiting Clearwater, 5-3.
- RHP Josh Davis (1.69) allowed two runs on two hits in the ninth to suffer the loss, his first.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.328) went 1-for-4 with two RBI. His 14 RBI are tied for second in the league.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (1-for-4) knocked in his 11th runner of the year, tied for 12th in the league.
Behind a big fifth inning rally and another strong outing from starter C.J. Edwards, Tennessee racked up a win, while Iowa was shut out on Sunday. Daytona and Kane County both had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (8-9)
T-3rd Place (-2.5)
Iowa was shut out for the third time at home this season, as they fell to Round Rock 6-0.
- Carlos Pimentel suffered his third loss despite posting his second quality start. His 26 strikeouts tie Mike Fiers of Nashville for tops in the league.
- CF Matt Szczur went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles.
- SS Logan Watkins went 2-for-4 with a single and a double, raising his season average to .281.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara went 1-for-4 with two stolen bases (5).
Tennessee Smokies (8-9)
4th Place (-3.0)
Tennessee posted a five-run fifth inning on their way to an 8-3 victory over Birmingham at Birmingham’s Regions Field.
- Tennessee scored eight runs with just one extra-base hit, a seventh-inning double for 2B Stephen Bruno (2-for-4, 2 R, RBI). The Smokies went 5-for-10 as a team with runners in scoring position.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.294) went 2-for-4 with three RBI, bringing his season total to nine.
- RF Rubi Silva added two RBI with a 2-for-5 line, his first multihit game of the season.
- RHP C.J. Edwards earned his first win in his first quality start of 2014, giving up two earned runs over six innings and striking out four.
Iowa won a sloppy game, while Tennessee split its doubleheader and Kane County set a season high in runs Thursday. Daytona’s struggles continued in a loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (8-6)
2nd Place (-1.5)
Iowa beat visiting New Orleans, 5-4, despite committing a season-high six errors. The last time Iowa had six errors in a game was July 21, 2004, at Nashville.
- LHP Eric Jokisch got a no-decision, giving up no earned runs and striking out five in 5.2 innings.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.361), SS Logan Watkins (.222), and C Eli Whiteside (.200) each recorded two hits and drove in a run.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (2-0, 1.17) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to pick up his second win.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (3.00) earned his second save despite allowing a run in the ninth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (7-7)
T-3rd Place (-2.0)
Tennessee split a home doubleheader against Jackson, evening the ongoing five-game series at two wins apiece. The Smokies were blanked 4-0 in Game 1, managing only one hit. In Game 2, Tennessee overcame a 2-0 deficit to pull out a 3-2 win.
- RHP Corey Black gave up three earned runs in four innings, fanning three and walking five in the loss.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.289) went 1-for-2 with a single, the lone Tennessee hit.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee pitched four innings, giving up two earned runs and striking out four in the no-decision.
- C Taylor Davis (.333) put Tennessee ahead with an RBI single in the fourth inning.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (1-0, 0.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to record his first victory.
- RHP Armando Rivero (2.45) recorded his third save of the season, striking out the side and walking one in a scoreless seventh.
Daytona Cubs (2-12)
6th Place (-9.5)
Daytona dropped its fifth-consecutive contest, losing 6-5 at home to the Tampa Yankees.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.306) went 2-for-4 from the leadoff spot with a run scored, a walk, a home run, two RBI (6), a stolen base (6) and a sacrifice fly.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.213) went 3-for-4 with a walk and one RBI (6).
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (1.80) allowed a hit and a walk while striking out the side in the ninth.
Kane County Cougars (11-3)
1st Place (+2.5)
Kane County backed an elite start by 20-year-old Daury Torrez, recording a season-high 13 runs on 19 hits to beat host Dayton, 13-1. The Cougars have now won eight straight games.
- RHP Daury Torrez was nearly unhittable, going eight innings, giving up one earned run on two hits and a walk, and striking out four to get his second win of the season.
- C Will Remillard (.250) went 4-for-5 with two runs, two doubles (2) and his first five RBI of 2014.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert went 2-for-5 to raise his batting average to .382, good for second in the Midwest League. He ranks second in hits (21) and fourth in RBI (12).
- Remillard and Balaguert were among seven Cougars to tally multiple hits, along with Jacob Hannemann, Carlos Penalver, Ben Carhart, Jacob Rogers and Dan Lockhart.
Iowa, Tennessee and Kane County all notched wins Wednesday, while Daytona continued to scuffle. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (7-6)
T-2nd place (-2.5)
A three-run seventh inning and a strong start by RHP Kyle Hendricks led Iowa past New Orleans at home, 6-3, knotting the series at one win apiece.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (3-for-5) was a home run shy of the cycle, picking up two RBI on a go-ahead triple in the seventh.
- LF Josh Vitters (2-for-4) raised his season average to .293 with two RBI doubles.
- Hendricks’ eight punchouts launched him into a tie for third place in the PCL with 19 (teammate Carlos Pimentel leads the league with 21).
Tennessee Smokies (6-6)
4th Place (-1.5)
Rehabbing RHP Jake Arrieta and Tennessee earned a 7-2 win at home over the Generals with a five-run fourth inning.
- Arrieta allowed his first earned run since beginning his rehab stint with Tennessee. He is 1-1 with a 0.73 ERA (1 ER/12.1 IP), allowing six hits, four bases on balls and striking out nine.
- LF John Andreoli (1-for-4) knocked in three runs from the leadoff spot.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (1-for-4) recorded two RBI on his first hit of the season, a single in the fourth.
Daytona Cubs (2-11)
6th Place (-9.0)
Daytona fell at Dunedin, 5-1, failing to record a hit after the fourth inning.
- SS Marco Hernandez (2-for-3) reached base three times, including two singles and a walk, to raise his season average to .308.
- RHPs Michael Jensen (7.20) and Austin Reed (4.05) combined for 3.1 scoreless innings of relief, allowing just one hit and striking out three.
Kane County Cougars (10-3)
1st Place (+1.5)
Kane County completed the sweep at Bowling Green in dramatic fashion, notching five runs in the top of the ninth to win, 6-2.
- Kane County recorded one hit from each spot in the lineup, including four-consecutive RBI base hits in the ninth from 3B David Bote, 2B Danny Lockhart, DH Shawon Dunston and LF Trey Martin, the lineup’s six-nine hitters.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (1-for-3) stole his sixth and seventh bases, tied for fourth in the league.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (1-0, 4.76) earned the win with 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County took both games of its doubleheader, but Iowa and Daytona both came up short. Tennessee was rained out Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (6-6)
T-2nd place (-2.5)
The I-Cubs fell to New Orleans, 8-4. SS Logan Watkins was 1-for-3 with a walk. He had a two-run single in the club’s four-run second inning.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.333) was 2-for-3 with a run scored and a double (3). He has multihit efforts in three of his last five games.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel recorded a 1-2-3 first inning before New Orleans scored five runs in the second. The right-hander had issued just one walk in his previous two starts before allowing five last night. He also struck out five in the losing effort.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin (2.08) allowed one run in 3.1 relief innings, walking none and striking out three.
Daytona Cubs (2-10)
T-5th Place (-8.0)
Daytona lost to Dunedin, 10-3. The team had nine hits but was just 1-for-14 with runners in scoring position.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.310) paced Daytona with three hits, including two doubles (5). He has eight hits and four doubles in his last three games.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.289) was 2-for-4 with an RBI (7), while DH Rock Shoulders (.179) was 2-for-4 with two runs and a solo home run, his first of the year.
- RHP Starling Peralta (3.86) threw 2.2 scoreless innings of relief, striking out three and walking none.
Kane County Cougars (9-3)
1st Place (+1.0)
Kane County swept a doubleheader at Bowling Green, recording shutouts in both games. In the first, a 2-0 win, RHP Jen-Ho Tseng tossed 5.1 shutout innings. In Game Two, a 1-0 victory, RHP Paul Blackburn spun six shutout innings, allowing just one hit.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng earned his first win of the season, striking out six batters.
- RHP Zach Godley (3.60) picked up his second save of the season, throwing 1.2 scoreless innings. He allowed one hit and struck out four of the six batters he faced.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.391) was 1-for-2 with a sac fly, extending his hitting streak to nine games (.389/14-for-36). He’d go 0-for-2 with a walk in the second game to snap the streak.
- RHP Paul Blackburn walked one and struck out six to pick up the victory.
- RHP Jose Arias (1.69) tossed a scoreless seventh inning to pick up his first save.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.279) was 1-for-3 with an RBI (3).
Tennessee let a lead slip away in the ninth, while offensive woes continued to plague Daytona in another one-run loss. Iowa and Kane County were both rained out, but LHP Tsuyoshi Wada was named the Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week for the week of April 3-13. Wada went 2-0 with a 0.68 ERA (1 ER/13.1 IP) while striking out 18 hitters in two starts against Nashville and Memphis. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Tennessee Smokies (5-6)
4th Place (-2.5)
Visiting Jackson scored three runs in the ninth inning to beat Tennessee 6-4.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.300) went 2-for-4 and clubbed his Southern League-leading fourth home run.
- Rafael Lopez (.333) hit his first homer of the season, a solo shot in the fifth inning.
- RHP C.J. Edwards allowed his second career home run when Jackson’s Jack Marder took him deep in the second inning. Edwards has surrendered only two home runs in 198.0 professional innings.
- LHP Austin Kirk (0.00) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- Tuesday’s scheduled contest between Tennessee and Jackson has been postponed due to inclement weather. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Thursday evening.
Daytona Cubs (2-9)
5th Place (-7.0)
Daytona dropped its seventh game in its last eight, falling at Dunedin 1-0.
- RHP Felix Pena suffered the loss despite tossing his second career complete game. Daytona has now lost each of Pena’s three starts this season by identical 1-0 scores.
- CF Albert Almora (.279) went 0-for-3 before leaving the game in the fifth inning with a nose bleed.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.263) recorded a game-high three hits, going 3-for-5 with a double (3).
Iowa wrapped up their series with a win, and Kane County also pulled off a victory Thursday. The bats were quiet in losses for the Smokies and D-Cubs. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (4-4)
T-2nd Place (-2.0)
Iowa defeated Nashville 5-1, and won three of four games in the series.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks picked up the win, going 7.0 innings, giving up one earned run on five hits and a walk while striking out five.
- SS Javier Baez (.154) went 1-for-4 with a sixth-inning, two-run homer.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.263) went 2-for-4 with a double (2) and two RBI (3).
- CF Matt Szczur (.233) and 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.280) recorded two hits apiece.
- RHPs Neil Ramirez (10.80) and Blake Parker (0.00) both tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (2-5)
T-4th Place (-4.0)
Chattanooga scored a run in the ninth inning to beat the Smokies 1-0.
- RHP Jake Arrieta made his second start with the Smokies as part of a major league rehab assignment, tossing 3.2 scoreless innings while fanning four. Arrieta threw 66 pitches (44 strikes), and has allowed just three hits while striking out seven in two starts (6.2 IP).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.280) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee (0-1, 3.12) suffered the loss despite allowing just one run in 4.0 innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (1-6)
T-5th Place (-5.0)
Dunedin tallied 18 hits en route to sweeping the three-game set in Daytona, beating the Cubs 12-2.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.455) recorded three of Daytona’s seven hits, going 3-for-3 with a run scored and a walk.
- DH Tim Saunders (.211) went 1-for-4 with his third RBI of the season.
- RF Oliver Zapata (.273) went 1-for-3 with a run scored, a walk and one RBI (1).
Kane County Cougars (4-3)
T-2nd Place (-1.0)
Kane County pulled into a second place tie with a 7-5 victory over visiting Fort Wayne.
- RHP Tyler Skulina picked up the win, pitching 5.2 innings and striking out six.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.167) and SS Carlos Penalver (.259) combined to go 4-for-10 with five runs scored.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.300) went 1-for-4 with a walk and a game-high three RBI (7).
- RHP Justin Amlung (0.00) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief to record his first hold of the year.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (0.00) worked the ninth inning to convert his first save of the campaign.
Christian Villanueva powered Triple-A Iowa to victory, but both Tennessee and Daytona lost one-run games Monday night. Kane County had the day off and resumes action Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (2-3)
4th Place (1.5 Games Back)
3B Christian Villanueva supported a strong start by LHP Tsuyoshi Wada with a go-ahead, three-run home run with two outs in the sixth inning to lift Iowa over visiting Nashville, 4-1.
- RF Brett Jackson (.143) notched his first two hits of the season, including a fifth-inning triple, finishing 2-for-2 with a run scored, a walk and a stolen base.
- LHP Wada earned his first win in his debut with the I-Cubs. His eight punchouts have him tied for fifth place in the Pacific Coast League this season.
- RHP Blake Parker (0.00) earned the save, striking out two in a scoreless ninth. His 42 career saves are tops in the organization.
Tennessee Smokies (1-4)
5th Place (3 Games Back)
Tennessee fell at Pensacola, dropping a 3-2 decision and finishing the five-game series with a 1-4 record.
- RHP Matt Loosen went five innings, giving up three earned runs, walking three and striking out two in the loss.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.278) went 2-for-4 with his second solo home run in as many days.
- SS Jeudy Valdez (.375) went 2-for-3 including an eighth-inning double that drove in his first run of the season.
- RHP Ryan Searle (2.08), LHP Hunter Cervenka (0.00), and RHP Tony Zych (9.00) combined for five strikeouts over three perfect innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (1-3)
T-4th Place (2 Games Back)
Daytona surrendered an early three-run lead at home vs. Brevard County, losing 5-4 and committing three errors.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny gave up four runs in four innings, striking out six and walking two in a no-decision.
- LF Rock Shoulders (.200) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double, two RBI and two strikeouts.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.286) added two hits, going 2-for-4 with a run scored, a triple and one RBI.
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (0-1, 0.00) suffered the loss on an unearned run that scored on a fielding error by SS Marco Hernandez in the top of the fifth inning.
Zac Rosscup picked up the win in relief for Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa was able to grab a win in walk-off fashion Sunday, but both Tennessee and Kane County couldn’t muster enough offense in their games. Daytona had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action on the farm.
Iowa Cubs (1-3)
4th Place (2 games back)
Chris Valaika hit a walk-off single to center field, scoring Matt Szczur, as the I-Cubs beat the Memphis Redbirds, 4-3, to record their first victory of the season.
- LHP Eric Jokisch was solid in his debut, going seven innings, giving up no earned runs and striking out three in a no decision.
- SS Valaika (.200) finished the game going 2-for-4 with a run scored, a walk and one RBI.
- Javier Baez (.091) briefly tied the game at 2-2 with a pinch-hit homer in the seventh inning. It was his first hit of the year, snapping a 0-for-9 drought to start the season.
- LF Josh Vitters (.375) went 3-for-4 with a double and one RBI.
- LHP Zac Rosscup (1-0, 0.00) tossed 0.2 scoreless innings to earn the win.
Tennessee Smokies (1-3)
5th Place (2 games back)
Tennessee dropped its second-straight game at Pensacola, falling 3-2.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro picked up the loss, giving up one earned run in four innings, striking out three and walking three.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.214) went 2-for-3 with a walk and a ninth-inning, solo home run.
- RF Jonathan Mota (.333) went 2-for-4 with his first RBI of the campaign.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (0.00) struck out two hitters in two scoreless innings of work.
Kane County Cougars (2-2)
T-1st Place (– games back)
Quad Cities scored five runs in the seventh inning to beat visiting Kane County, 7-3.
- RHP Juan Paniagua went four innings, giving up two earned runs while striking out four and walking four while earning the loss.
- LF Trey Martin (.100) and 3B David Bote (.167) each recorded a hit and one RBI.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.250) reached base twice, going 1-for-4 with a walk and four strikeouts.
- RHP James Pugliese (0.00) and LHP Nathan Dorris (0.00) combined to toss 3.2 scoreless innings of relief.