Mesa again failed to get the bats going in a 6-3 loss to Peoria Monday. Only one Cub was in action as the Solar Sox slipped to 4-13. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action:
- C Willson Contreras (.298) stepped up with a man on first and one out and ripped a single to left field in the eighth inning. Both runners would eventually be stranded.
On Monday, the fall league announced Contreras, as well as right-handed pitcher Corey Black, will participate in the AFL All-Star Game on Saturday. Also, infielder Jeimer Candelario is one of the final vote candidates. Fans have until Wednesday at 1 p.m. CST, to vote for the team’s final roster spot.
A few Cubs second base prospects and relievers had solid days in the Caribbean on Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s winter league action:
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara drew a pair of walks and drove in two in the Tigres del Licey’s loss to Cibaenas. One of his bases on balls came with the bases loaded in the fourth and the other RBI came on a bases-loaded groundout in the third. He was hitless in three official at-bats.
- RHP Juan Paniagua recorded the final out in the Estrellas’ shutout victory. He forced the only batter he saw to fly out to right.
- LHP Ryan Buchter struck out the side in the final inning of a shortened seven-inning game to claim his fifth save of the year for Culican. Buchter signed a minor league deal with the Cubs in late July and pitched 18.0 innings for Iowa this season.
- RHP Fernando Cruz pitched two scoreless innings for Santurce, walking one and striking out two in a losing effort. Cruz split the 2015 season in High-A and Double-A, and made one appearance in Iowa.
- CF Adron Chambers drove in a run in his first at-bat as Magalianes secured a win over Lara. He added a walk and a run scored in his 1-for-3 day.
- RHP Yoervis Medina surrendered two earned runs on a walk and three hits for Lara.
- 2B Bryant Flete had a pair of hits and drove in a run, going 2-for-4 with a run scored, as Zulia claimed a victory over Margarita.
It wasn’t the best of days for Cubs prospects or the Soler Sox, as Mesa fell 6-2 to Scottsdale on Saturday. The team combined for just three hits and committed three errors. Here are some notes from the action over the weekend:
- RHP Pierce Johnson (6.00) got the start and allowed two earned runs in 4.0 innings to take the loss. He surrendered five hits and three walks, but struck out four in the effort.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.208) was 0-for-2 with two bases on balls.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.350) drew a walk but finished 0-for-3, leaving four runners on base.
- RHP Corey Black (7.11) gave up two hits and an earned run in an inning of work. He struck out one batter.
Mesa will host Peoria Monday, with the first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
The Solar Sox got off to a fast start behind Cubs prospect Willson Contreras and defeated Surprise 5-3 Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- C Willson Contreras (.308) ripped a two-run homer to left-center field to put Mesa on the board in the first inning. He also singled to left in the sixth and scored on an Eric Aguilera (Angels) groundout. Contreras was 2-for-4.
- 2B Elliot Soto (.243) singled to right in the bottom of the first for his only hit of the game. He was driven in on the Contreras homer. The infielder finished 1-for-4.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.227) reached base on a walk but was 0-for-3 on the day.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.378) had his hot bat cooled. He went 0-for-4 on the day.
Mesa heads to Scottsdale Friday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time. Cubs lefty Rob Zastryzny is the scheduled starter.
Mesa claimed its third win of the season, 11-10, over Surprise Wednesday. All Cubs prospects in action contributed. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s AFL matchup:
- CF Mark Zagunis (.263) stepped up in the ninth inning with the game tied at 8 and lined a three-run homer over the left-field fence to score the go-ahead runs. He also recorded an RBI single in a three-run sixth inning, finishing 2-for-4 with a walk and two RBI.
- RHP Corey Black (6.75) pitched 1.1 innings of scoreless relief to pick up the win. He entered the game with two outs in the seventh, allowing just one base runner on a walk.
- DH Jeimer Candelario (.424) ripped a two-run double to left to get Mesa some big runs in the eighth inning. The third baseman also opened up the fourth with a single to right, going 2-for-5 on the day.
- SS Elliot Soto (.242) singled twice in his first two at-bats. Soto was also hit by a pitch in the eighth inning and eventually scored. He went 2-for-5.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.143) singled in the ninth inning and was eventually driven in on the Zagunis homer. He added an RBI groundout in the eighth and a pair of walks to finish 1-for-3.
Mesa was unable to carry momentum from Monday’s comeback win into Tuesday, as the Solar Sox fell 9-5 to Glendale. Here is how Cubs prospects fared during yesterday’s game:
- SS Elliot Soto (.214) singled on a line drive to center in the fourth, scoring a pair of runs to temporarily put the Solar Sox ahead. He also drew a walk in the third inning to finish 1-for-3.
- DH Willson Contreras (.286) drew a fourth-inning walk and scored three batters later on a Stephen McGee (Angels) sacrifice fly. He was 0-for-4 on the day.
- RHP David Garner (0.00) pitched a scoreless ninth inning for Mesa, striking out one and walking one in the hitless frame.
Mesa heads to Surprise Wednesday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
Some late-game heroics boosted Mesa to a 10-9 win over Glendale Monday. Four Cubs prospects recorded hits in a six-run ninth inning that led the Solar Sox to victory. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action:
- C Willson Contreras (.323) doubled in the eighth inning and singled in the ninth, going 2-for-4 on the game. He also recorded a sac fly in the third inning and scored both times he reached base.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.429) added a ninth-inning, two-run double that scored the then-game-tying and go-ahead runs. He finished 1-for-5.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.200) led off the ninth inning with a double to center. He was driven in two batters later. Zagunis drew a two-out walk in the first inning, going 1-for-4.
- SS Elliot Soto (.200) recorded an RBI single in the ninth inning for his lone hit of the game. He also reached on an error in the first. He scored runs on both occasions in his 1-for-4 effort.
- RHP Pierce Johnson (6.55) gave up two earned runs in 4.0 innings, striking out one in the no-decision.
Cubs pitchers were solid for the Solar Sox on Saturday, but Mesa dropped a 5-4 game to Salt River to fall to 1-9 on the season. Here are some Cubs notes from this weekend’s action:
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (4.91) struck out seven batters in 5.0 innings, giving up two earned runs on six hits and walking none in the no-decision. He exited the game with a 4-2 lead.
- RHP Corey Black (9.00) struck out two in an inning of work, giving up two hits and an unearned run, to earn his first hold of the season.
- RHP David Garner (0.00) also picked up a hold, pitching a scoreless eighth inning and striking out one.
- C Willson Contreras (.296) drove in the first run in a three-run third inning when he ripped a double to left field, scoring Chad Hinshaw (Angels). The next batter, Renato Nunez (Athletics), drove him in with a single up the middle. Contreras was 1-for-4 with a walk.
- 2B Elliot Soto (.190) had a one-out single to center in the third inning, finishing the afternoon 1-for-4.
Mesa heads to Glendale Monday, with Cubs pitcher Pierce Johnson scheduled to make the start.
Four members of the Cubs’ system got into Mesa’s 5-3 loss to Peoria on Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s AFL action:
- SS Elliot Soto recorded a pair of singles and finished 2-for-3 on the day.
- RHP Corey Black pitched a scoreless eighth inning, surrendering one hit.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario and C Willson Contreras, two of the league’s hottest hitters, were kept in check as they both wrapped up the day 0-for-4.
Though Mesa pitching was off in a 20-6 loss to Surprise Sunday, Cubs prospects put on an offensive display, including one extraordinary effort. Here are some notes from Cubs players in action yesterday in the Arizona Fall League:
- 3B Jeimer Candelario had a game for the ages, ripping a solo shot in the third and another in the ninth. He also recorded three doubles, including run-scoring at-bats in the first and seventh innings. He finished the day 5-for-5 with 14 total bases and four RBI.
- 1B Willson Contreras recorded a single to lead off the second and an eighth-inning blast. The Cubs Minor League Player of the Year completed the day 2-for-4 with a walk.
- 2B Elliot Soto went 0-for-4 with an RBI groundout.
- RHP Corey Black struggled in an inning of work, surrendering four earned runs in relief.