Mesa was on the losing end of an 11-4 decision to Surprise Saturday, with only a few Cubs prospects getting into the action. Here are some notes from Saturday’s Arizona Fall League game:
- RF Bijan Rademacher singled in the sixth inning and scored two batters later for Mesa’s first run of the game. He finished 1-for-3 with a first-inning walk and a stolen base. Defensively, he recorded two outfield assists.
- PR-SS Danny Lockhart entered the game as a pinch-runner in the sixth and scored a run later that inning. He finished 0-for-1 with a stolen base.
Mesa heads to Glendale Monday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
Mesa captured an extra-innings win Thursday over Salt River. Jacob Hannemann was the only Cub to get into the game. Here are some notes from Thursday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RF Jacob Hannemann recorded a single in the ninth inning, finishing the day 1-for-3 with a walk.
Mesa is also in action Friday, with Hannemann, Dan Vogelbach and Danny Lockhart in the lineup. Ivan Pineyro got the start and went three scoreless, giving up two hits and fanning three. Gerardo Concepcion took over in relief and has also pitched three scoreless, surrendering just one hit. To follow the game live, click the mlb.com link.
Mesa poured it on late with an 11-2 victory over Glendale Wendesday. The Solar Sox scored nine runs after the fifth inning. The Cubs’ top pitching prospect fared well on the bump and Mesa got some contributions out of the Cubs’ offensive farmhands. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP C.J. Edwards got the start, giving up one earned run in two innings while striking out four.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach had a pair of singles and drew a walk, finishing 2-for-4 on the day.
- LF Bijan Rademacher recorded a base hit and a walk, along with two sac flies.
- DH Danny Lockhart, making his second AFL appearance of the season, drove in a run on a sixth inning walk and scored later that inning. He was 0-for-3 on the day.
Mesa heads to Salt River Thursday, where they will see 2013 first-overall pick, right-hander Mark Appel. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 local time. The game will also be broadcast on MLB Network.
Jacob Hannemann had another nice day at the plate, but a pair of Cubs struggled on the bump in a 7-5 loss to Scottsdale Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- LF Jacob Hannemann had a pair of doubles, finishing 2-for-4. He drove in two with two outs in the fourth inning, scoring Tony Renda (Nationals) and Spencer Kieboom (Nationals). His second double came in the ninth, scoring Renda again. He also recorded an outfield assist.
- RHP Armando Rivero got roughed up in 0.2 innings, giving up two earned runs on two hits and two walks and picking up the loss.
- RHP Zach Cates gave up four runs on four hits and a walk in one inning of relief.
Mesa takes on Glendale on the road Friday, with first pitch scheduled at 12:35.
Mesa scored all their runs in one inning in a 7-5 victory over Scottsdale Wednesday. Here are some Cubs notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- 1B Dan Vogelbach finished 0-for-3 with a walk and an RBI. He drew his walk in the second inning and swiped second base, his first stolen base of the fall. The slugger drove in Cal Towey (Angels) on a sac fly in the sixth.
- RF Bijan Rademacher finished 0-for-4, but recorded a big outfield assist in the eighth inning.
Cubs right-hander Armando Rivero is scheduled to start for Mesa Thursday, as the Solar Sox host Scottsdale. First pitch is at 12:35 local time.
Right-hander Ivan Pineyro got the start Tuesday, but his outing was brief in a 2-1 Solar Sox loss to Peoria. Here are some notes from Tuesday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP Ivan Pineyro fanned one of the game’s top prospects in Francisco Lindor, but had to be replaced just three batters into the game due to injury.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion pitched two innings of relief, giving up three hits and one unearned run while striking out one and walking none for Mesa.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach entered the game as a pinch-hitter in the third inning and finished the afternoon 0-for-2 with a seventh-inning walk.
Mesa heads to Scottsdale Wednesday with first pitch scheduled for 12:35.
A strong pitching effort from one of the Cubs’ top arms and solid efforts at the dish by two farmhands earned Mesa a 3-3, 11-inning tie Monday against Salt River. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP C.J. Edwards pitched three hitless innings, giving up no walks and striking out one. He lowered his ERA to 1.80 after four starts this fall.
- RF Jacob Hannemann had three hits, including a pair of triples and a single. He recorded the game-tying run in the ninth after his second three-bagger of the day. Hannemann finished 3-for-6.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach recorded a pair of singles and finished 2-for-5.
Mesa will host Peoria on Tuesday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time. Cubs right-hander Ivan Pineyro will take the mound for the Solar Sox.
Only one Cubs prospect got into Mesa’s 14-0 thumping of Surprise on Saturday. Here are some notes from this weekend’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RF Bijan Rademacher doubled in the first inning, scoring Matt Olson, and then tripled in the fifth, scoring Olson again. He finished 2-for-6 and added a run scored.
Mesa hosts Salt River Monday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time. Recently named AFL All-Star C.J. Edwards will make the start.
Mesa picked up a 7-3 win over Scottsdale with limited production from Cubs prospects Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- SS Addison Russell finished 1-for-4 with a two-run homer in the seventh, his second of the fall. It was announced after the game that this will be Russell’s final showing in the Arizona Fall League. Russell missed the early portion of 2014, so the front office brought the shortstop to Arizona to get a full season’s work.
- DH Dan Vogelbach went 0-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
The Solar Sox head to Peoria Friday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35. Cubs right-hander Armando Rivero is projected to start for Mesa.
The offense again carried Mesa to victory, this time a 9-3 win over Scottsdale Wednesday afternoon. Every Cubs prospect who got into the game contributed to the result. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP Ivan Pineyro earned the win despite a shaky second inning. He pitched 2.2 innings, giving up three earned runs on two hits and a walk, while striking out three. All his earned runs came on a three-run homer in the second.
- RF Bijan Rademacher was 2-for-4 on the day with a walk and two runs scored. He singled in the third and fifth innings. He also committed a fielding error in the game.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach went 2-for-4 with a walk and a run scored. He recorded singles in the second and eighth innings.
- SS Addison Russell went 1-for-6 with a two-RBI single in the second inning, scoring Rademacher and Chad Hinshaw (Angels). In the field, he committed his third error of the season.
Mesa will host Scottsdale Thursday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.