Cubs vs. Mets – Citi Field
First Pitch: 6:10 CST
Cubs Starter: Jon Lester, LHP
Mets Starter: Bartolo Colon, RHP
TV: WGN-TV; Radio: WBBM 780 AM
1. Dexter Fowler, CF
2. Anthony Rizzo, 1B
3. Kris Bryant, 3B
4. Chris Coghlan, LF
5. Starlin Castro, SS
6. Mike Baxter, RF
7. David Ross, C
8. Jon Lester, P
9. Jonathan Herrera, 2B
Cubs vs. Mets – Citi Field
First Pitch: 6:10 CST
Cubs Starter: Kyle Hendricks, RHP
Mets Starter: Jon Niese, LHP
TV: CSN Chicago, ESPN; Radio: WBBM 780 AM
1. Dexter Fowler, CF
2. Anthony Rizzo, 1B
3. Kris Bryant, 3B
4. Starlin Castro, SS
5. Chris Denorfia, RF
6. Matt Szczur, LF
7. David Ross, C
8. Kyle Hendricks, P
9. Addison Russell, 2B
Myrtle Beach swept a doubleheader Thursday, and Iowa was victorious in walk-off fashion. But Tennessee couldn’t get the bats going, and South Bend fell in a one-run game. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (23-23)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Second Place (-9.0)
Matt Szczur hit a walk-off, three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth to lift Iowa over Reno, 3-2.
- RHP Donn Roach (2.18) gave up two earned runs in 7.0 innings in the no-decision. He’s now allowed two runs or fewer in eight of 10 starts this season.
- LF Matt Szczur (.314) went 2-for-4 with the three-run homer and a stolen base. He is batting .333 (14-for-42) with two doubles, two triples, three home runs and eight RBI in 13 May contests.
- 3B Arismendy Alcantara (.252) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and a stolen base.
Tennessee Smokies (25-22)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-4.5)
Tennessee was blanked by Mobile, 3-0. The Smokies recorded just three hits in the setback.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.231) went 1-for-2 and walked once.
- 1B Anthony Giasanti (.236) went 1-for-3 and has now recorded a hit in nine of his last 10 games.
- RHP Frank Batista (1.51) took his first loss of the season, giving up three runs in 5.0 innings.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (29-15)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+5.5)
GM 1: Myrtle Beach topped Carolina in Game 1 of the doubleheader, 5-3.
- C Victor Caratini (.233) went 3-for-3, knocked a double, walked once and scored once.
- CF Pin-Chieh Chen (.310) went 1-for-3 with two RBI, a stolen base and one run scored.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.275) went 1-for-4, hit a double, plated one and scored once. He extended his hitting streak to five games (8-for-20/.400).
GM 2: Myrtle Beach swept the doubleheader, besting Carolina in the nightcap, 6-3.
- LF Kevin Brown (.226) went 2-for-3 with a double, a walk and one run scored.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.239) went 2-for-4, plated one and scored once.
- DH Chesny Young (.348) went 1-for-3, drove in two and walked once.
South Bend Cubs (20-28)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Seventh Place (-8.0)
South Bend was swept at Dayton, dropping the final game, 5-4. The team is on a four-game skid.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.288) went 4-for-5 with a home run, a double, an RBI and two runs scored. He extended his hitting streak to seven games with a season-high four hits (16-for-28/.571).
- 2B Andrew Ely (.341) went 4-for-5 with a home run and two doubles. He plated two and scored once. He has recorded four extra-base hits in the last two games.
- CF Charcer Burks (.293) went 2-for-5 and scored once.
- RF Kevin Encarnacion (.500) went 2-for-3.
- RHP Ryan Williams (1.17) drew a no-decision, giving up four earned runs in 8.0 innings.
The winter postseasons are wrapping up, which inevitably means less baseball is being played. That said, there were a few Cubs representatives in action Sunday who performed at a high level. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- CF Junior Lake had a pair of hits, including a two-run homer in the eighth inning, but the Estrellas de Oriente fell to the Gigantes del Cibao Sunday, losing the Dominican series 5-3. Earlier this winter, prospect Junior Felix Arias represented the Gigantes, who will now play in the Caribbean Series.
- 2B Javier Baez finished 2-for-4 with an RBI double and a walk as the Cangrejeros de Santurce secured a 9-1 win over the Indios de Mayaguez, taking a 3-2 lead in the best-of-nine series.
Catcher Willson Contreras and 2B Luis Valbuena both went yard for their respective teams Sunday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action in the Caribbean:
- C Willson Contreras went 1-for-4 with a three-run home run. He also struck out twice for the Tigres de Aragua in an 8-7 loss to the Aguilas del Zulia.
- 2B Luis Valbuena went 1-for-4 with a home run and two RBI in the Cardenales de Lara’s 6-5 loss to the Navegantes del Magallanes.
- PH-3B Johnathan Herrera went 0-2 with two strikeouts for the Navegantes.
- LHP Joseph Ortiz earned a win for the Tiburones de La Guaira. He pitched one inning of relief, surrendering one hit and striking out one.
- 3B Christian Villanueva went 0-for-2 with a walk and a strikeout for the Yaquis de Obregon in a 6-2 win over the Tomateros de Culiacan.
- RHP Starling Peralta gave up two hits and one run (unearned) in 0.2 innings of relief in the Estrellas de Oriente’s 5-2 win over the Toros de Este. His winter ERA still stands at 0.00.
- LF Junior Lake went 0-for-4 for the Estrellas, but did manage a walk and scored a run. His is batting .243 in the winter league.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua pitched 1.1 scoreless innings of relief, allowing no hits and one walk in the Toros del Este loss.
Iowa claimed a doubleheader sweep, and Boise shut out Vancouver Wednesday. However, Tennessee, Daytona, Kane County and Mesa all lost their matchups. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action.
Iowa Cubs (59-54)
1st Place (+0.5)
GAME 1: Iowa took the first game of the doubleheader at New Orleans, backing a seven-inning, complete-game shutout from LHP Eric Jokisch to win 9-0.
- Jokisch recorded his 12th quality start of the season and his second career shutout.
- 1B Mike Olt (.345) recorded his third-straight two-hit game, ripping his fourth double and knocking in his fourth run.
- 2B Javier Baez (.254) launched a three-run homer in the fourth for his team-leading 20th blast of the year.
- RF Jorge Soler (.316) belted a two-run shot to knock in his third and fourth runs since joining Iowa.
GAME 2: Iowa completed the doubleheader sweep with a 2-1 win at New Orleans, despite being outhit, 6-5.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin fanned five over five innings, giving up one earned run.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.312) singled in both games of the doubleheader, swiping his fifth bag in Game 2.
- RF Jorge Soler (.316) added a double (2) and a walk in three plate appearances. He has hit safely in five of his six starts for the I-Cubs (.353/6-for-17).
- RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (1.80) continued his rehab assignment and earned a hold with a scoreless sixth.
- RHP Armando Rivero (1.02) recorded his first save, finishing the seventh.
Tennessee Smokies (20-20)
2nd Place (-1.5)
Tennessee scored first, but could not hold the lead at Birmingham, as the Barons prevailed, 7-3.
- CF Albert Almora (.226) launched his first home run in seven games with the Smokies, and his eighth on the year, as part of a two-hit effort. His 2-for-4 line gives him six hits in his last three games.
- DH Charles Cutler (.319) hit a two-run homer in the ninth. All five of his homers have come with runners on base.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.281) finished 2-for-4 with his team-leading 23rd double.
- 1B Lars Anderson (.409) and SS Addison Russell (.313) each singled twice. Anderson is 9-for-22 with seven walks in seven games with Tennessee, good for a .533 OBP.
Daytona Cubs (25-13)
1st Place (+4.5)
Daytona pitching allowed five runs in the eighth inning to fall to visiting Bradenton, 9-7.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.370) hit his first home run in seven games with Daytona, and his seventh on the year. He finished 3-for-5 with two runs and his third RBI.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.298) followed Hannemann with a 3-for-4 game, scoring twice, knocking in one (44) and drawing a walk.
- RF Billy McKinney (.301) knocked in two runs. He now has 22 RBI in just 24 games with Daytona, and 55 on the year between Stockton and the Cubs.
- RHP Michael Jensen (3.06) recorded his second hold, allowing three runs while retiring just one Marauder to begin the eighth.
- RHP Zack Godley (3-2, 4.40) suffered the blown save (2) and his second loss, allowing two runs in 1.2 innings.
Kane County Cougars (22-16)
T-1st Place (–)
Kane County’s losing streak grew to a season-long five games as they were shut out in Wisconsin, 2-0.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng gave up one earned run over seven innings, striking out three and walking none. He’s allowed more than two runs just three times in 15 games (14 starts).
- 2B Chesny Young (.333) recorded the Cougars’ lone multihit effort, singling twice. He has six hits in five games since being promoted to Kane County.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.100) doubled for his first extra-base hit in 10 games as a Cougar.
Boise Hawks (4-5)
T-3rd Place (-3.0)
Boise came back from a 7-0 deficit to beat Vancouver at home, 8-7, on a walk-off error from Canadians 2B Tim Locastro.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.260) finished 3-for-5 with a double (5) and scored the game-winning run on Locastro’s error. Hodges has recorded four three-hit games this month.
- C Mark Malave (.284, 3 2B), SS Bryant Flete (.296, 1 2B) and RF Charcer Burks (.367, 3 2B) all doubled in the game.
- Boise was 6-for-17 with runners in scoring position, a .353 mark.
- RHP Trey Lang (1-0, 1.59) tossed two perfect innings of relief and struck out five to earn his first career win.
Mesa Cubs (1-3)
T-3rd Place (-3.0)
After falling to the AZL Angels at home on Tuesday, Mesa dropped an away contest at the Angels, 5-4.
- DH Alberto Mineo (.287) and 2B Andrew Ely (.366) both recorded triples. Mineo knocked in two (17), finishing 2-for-4.
- Mesa stole four bases—one each from CF Kevonte Mitchell (.306, 7 SB) and 3B Varonex Cuevas (.323, 1 SB), and two from SS Gleyber Torres (.280, 5 SB).
Daytona swept a doubleheader, but Iowa, Tennessee and Mesa were all dealt losses Monday. Kane County and Boise each had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (48-42)
1st Place (+1.5)
Iowa lost for the fourth time in its last five games, falling at Omaha, 7-3.
- RHP Dan Straily gave up four runs, none earned, over five innings, striking out three in his Cubs debut.
- SS Javier Baez (.241) homered for the second-straight game, going 1-for-4 with a third-inning, three-run shot.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.356) went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- RHP Marcos Mateo (5.21) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (11-8)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Tennessee also lost for the fourth time in their last five games, falling at Birmingham, 7-1.
- RF Jorge Soler (.394) homered for the second-straight game, going 3-for-4 with a ninth-inning, solo blast.
- DH Charles Cutler (.337) and C Luis Flores (.281) had two hits apiece.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (3.06) worked a scoreless seventh inning in the setback.
Daytona Cubs (11-5)
1st Place (-0.5)
GM 1: Daytona pushed across a run in the eighth inning for a 4-3 win at Lakeland.
- RHP Tayler Scott went five innings, giving up two earned runs on seven hits.
- CF Albert Almora (.271) went 1-for-4 with a first-inning, solo home run.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.207) went 1-for-3 with a third-inning, solo blast.
- LHP Austin Kirk (1-0, 5.40) earned the win, while RHP Stephen Perakslis (5.36) picked up his second save.
GM 2: Daytona completed the doubleheader sweep with a 6-1 victory over Lakeland.
- CF Albert Almora (.275) homered for the second-straight game, going 2-for-3 with a first-inning, two-run shot.
- DH Bijan Rademacher (.284) went 1-for-3 with a first-inning, solo homer.
- RHP Justin Amlung (2-2, 5.00) allowed a run in four innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.
Mesa Cubs (8-5)
1st Place (+0.5)
The Mesa Cubs committed five errors in an 11-2 loss at the AZL Indians. Mesa has committed 12 errors in its last two games.
- C Alberto Mineo (.351) went 1-for-4 with a run scored, a double (4) and one RBI (7).
- RHP Victor Salazar (0.00) struck out two hitters in 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Cubs prospect Walter Ibarra had a big day for Mazatlan of the Mexican league, and Luis Valbuena continued his tear in Venezuela. Here are some other notes from Thursday’s action around the Caribbean leagues.
Alberto Cabrera, RHP – Cabrera pitched a scoreless inning, giving up no hits and walking none for Este in the win.
Walter Ibarra, SS – Ibarra had a pair of hits, drove in a run and scored another for Mazatlan.
Jonathan Mota, 3B – Mota finished 1-for-4 with an RBI double in the Ponce loss.
Rubi Silva, CF – Silva had a single and a run scored for Ponce.
Luis Valbuena, 2B – Valbuena reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with a single and two walks for Lara.
Double-A outfielder Matt Szczur extended his hitting streak to eight games on Monday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
The Cubs minor league affiliates went 3-2 on Monday, with Iowa, Boise and Mesa all picking up wins. Daytona’s scheduled doubleheader with Clearwater was postponed due to rain. The games have been rescheduled as parts of doubleheaders for Tuesday, August 13, and Thursday, August 15. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (43-42)
Iowa used a four-run, eighth-inning rally to beat visiting Memphis 4-2.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.265) went 1-for-3 with a double (14) and two RBI (48).
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.500) was 1-for-2 with a run scored, a double (1) and two RBI (2) in his Iowa debut.
- RHP Eduardo Sanchez (1-1, 4.50) tossed a scoreless eighth inning to earn his first win of the season. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last seven appearances (10.1 IP).
- RHP Brian Schlitter (1.65) converted his eighth save of the season with a scoreless ninth. He’s holding left-handed hitters to a .192 batting average (5-for-26).
Tennessee Smokies (6-5)
Montgomery scored four runs in the sixth inning to race past the Smokies 7-2.
- CF Matt Szczur (.300) extended his hitting streak to eight games, going 2-for-5 with a double (18) and one RBI (37). He’s hitting .395 (15-for-38) with four doubles, six runs scored and eight RBI during the streak.
- C Chad Noble (.281) went 2-for-4 with a run scored. He’s gone 12-for-40 (.300) against right-handed pitchers.
- DH Arismendy Alcantara (.277) was 1-for-3 with a walk and a double (20). His 138 total bases are a team-high.
Kane County Cougars (2-9)
Wisconsin rallied with three runs over the final two innings to beat visiting Kane County 4-3.
- CF Albert Almora (.346) recorded his 13th multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (11).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.258) was 2-for-4 with a run scored and one RBI (23).
- LF Oliver Zapata (.274) went 1-for-3 with a triple (6) and two RBI (34). He has recorded at least one RBI in three straight games (six total).
- RF Kelvin Encarnacion (.462) extended his hitting streak to three games, going 1-for-4 with a triple (1).
Boise Hawks (10-8)
Boise won its fifth straight game with a 3-2 victory over host Salem-Keizer.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.283) recorded his third straight multihit game, going 2-for-5 with one RBI (3). His two-out RBI single in the ninth inning plated the winning run for Boise.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.250) went 1-for-4 with a double (1) and two RBI (7). He has driven in a run in three of his last four games (five total).
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.286) registered a season-high three hits, going 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Ethan Elias (1-0, 3.12) allowed one run on two hits in 2.0 innings of relief to pick up his first win.
- LHP Matt Iannazzo (3.00) worked a scoreless ninth inning to record his second save in as many nights.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (0-for-2, R, BB) was honored as the Northwest League Player of the Week for games played between June 24-30. He batted .348 (8-for-23) with three home runs and nine RBI. All three of his home runs either broke a tie or gave Boise the lead. His 22 RBI lead all short-season leagues.
Mesa Cubs (5-5)
Mesa won its third straight game, defeating the visiting AZL Dodgers 10-2.
- 2B Francisco Sanchez (.273) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored, a triple (1) and a season-high four RBI (8).
- 1B Kelvin Freeman (.077) was 1-for-3 with a run scored and two RBI (2).
- DH Zak Blair (.407) went 1-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored. He has hit safely in seven of his first eight games.
- LHP Anthony Prieto (1-1, 7.11) struck out three while scattering two hits in 3.0 scoreless innings of relief to pick up his first win.
Iowa reliever Michael Bowden has been solid for the I-Cubs. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Kane County, Boise and Mesa all picked up victories Sunday, but Iowa’s bats went quiet in a loss and Tennessee fell in extras. Daytona’s game was rained out and will be made up today as part of a doubleheader. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (42-42)
After recording 43 hits in the first three games of the series, Iowa managed just five singles in a 3-0 loss at Omaha.
- DH Ty Wright (.241) extended his hitting streak to three games, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.264) went 1-for-3 with a walk. He has drawn a free pass in three of his last four games.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (5.52) and RHP Michael Bowden (3.07) combined for two scoreless innings of relief. Bowden has not allowed a run in his last six appearances (8.0 IP).
Tennessee Smokies (6-4)
Tennessee had its four-game winning streak snapped in a 4-3, 10-inning loss at Montgomery.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.277) went 1-for-4 with a walk, a home run and one RBI (36).
- LF John Andreoli (.556) recorded his second straight multihit game, going 2-for-4 with two doubles (3).
- CF Matt Szczur (.298) extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 1-for-5 with a triple (3) and a run scored. He’s hitting .394 (13-for-33) with three doubles, six runs scored and seven RBI during the streak.
- RHP Frank Batista (2.43) tossed a scoreless inning of relief despite walking three batters. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .225 batting average (18-for-80).
Kane County Cougars (2-8)
Kane County used a 13-hit attack to defeat host Wisconsin 4-3.
- LF Reggie Golden (.304) hit an eighth-inning solo homer to break a 3-3 tie. He’s hit safely in seven of his last eight games.
- RF Kelvin Encarnacion (.556) recorded his second-straight multihit game, going 3-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (1) and one stolen base (1).
- SS Willson Contreras (.247) and CF Oliver Zapata (.316) recorded two hits apiece.
- RHP Lendy Castillo (1-5, 6.67) tossed 1.2 scoreless innings of relief, earning his first win of the season.
- RHP Michael Hamann (0.00) converted his first save, recording the final four outs.
Boise Hawks (9-8)
Boise won its fourth straight game with a 6-5 victory over visiting Eugene.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.271) homered for the second-straight game, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored, the home run and a team-high three RBI (22). He’s gone deep in three of his last four games while driving in a run in six of eight (10 total RBI).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.077) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks and two RBI (2).
- LF Jose Dore (.269) was 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (4).
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (1-0, 0.00) allowed one hit in two scoreless innings of relief, earning his first win.
- LHP Matt Iannazzo (3.38) recorded the final out, converting his first save.
Mesa Cubs (4-5)
Mesa won its second straight game, defeating the host AZL Indians 6-4.
- DH Kevin Brown (.238) went 3-for-4 with an RBI (1) and a stolen base (3).
- 2B Zak Blair (.435) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (3) and one RBI (6). He’s hit safely in six of his first seven games.
- RHP Jorge Diaz (1-0, 9.53) recorded the victory despite allowing two runs on two hits in 1.2 innings.
- LHP David Villegas (2.45) converted his first save, tossing two scoreless innings of relief.