Christian Villanueva went yard, and Junior Lake got on base three times Wednesday for their respective winter league clubs. Here are some notes from all of yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- 3B Christian Villanueva hit his seventh home run of the season as the Yaquis de Obregon edged out the Venados de Mazatlan 7-5 Wednesday. Villanueva reached on an error in the third and later scored a run. He finished 1-for-4.
- LF Junior Lake reached base three times, going 1-for-1 with a single and two walks for the Estrellas de Oriente. He scored the game’s lone run in a win over the Leones del Escogido.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara recorded an RBI single in the Tigres del Licey’s 2-0 win over the Gigantes del Cibao. He went 1-f0r-4.
- 2B Luis Valbuena had an RBI double and drew a walk in the Cardenales de Lara’s 9-4 win over the Bravos de Margarita.
- DH Jonathan Herrera reached base twice with two singles and scored a run as the Navegantes del Magallanes topped the Tiburones de La Guaira.
- LHP Joseph Ortiz had a rough outing, allowing two earned runs on three hits over one inning for La Guaira.
Starling Peralta’s efforts out of the bullpen were the highlight of Cubs representatives in the Caribbean Tuesday. Here are some notes from the rest of yesterday’s Winter League action:
- RHP Starling Peralta pitched three scoreless innings of relief for the Estrellas de Oriente in their loss to the Leones del Escogido. He surrendered just one hit and struck out two.
- LF Junior Lake went hitless in three at-bats but drew a walk in the Estrellas’ loss.
- CF Arismendy Alcantara finished 0-for-4 as the Tigres del Licey were blanked by the Gigantes del Cibao Tuesday.
- LF Christian Villanueva had a base hit in the Yaquis de Obregon’s 10-2 loss to the Venados de Mazatlan. He finished 1-for-4.
- CF John Andreoli singled and scored a run despite his Senadores de San Juan side getting edged out by the Indios de Mayaguez in a 4-3 ballgame.
Luis Valbuena had another solid day at the plate, and multiple Cubs relievers pitched scoreless innings Sunday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- 2B Luis Valbuena had a pair of hits, including a double, and scored two runs as the Cardenales de Lara captured a 7-3 win over the Caribes de Anzoategui. The infielder also added a walk.
- DH Jonathan Herrera recorded a hit and scored a run in the Navegantes del Magallanes’ loss to the Braves de Margarita. He also drew a walk.
- C Willson Contreras hit a single, finishing 1-for-3, as the Tigres de Aragua topped the Aguilas del Zulia.
- RHP Loiger Padron pitched to one batter and got him out despite the Leones del Caracas falling to the Tiburones de La Guaira.
- LHP Joseph Ortiz pitched 2/3 of an inning, giving up one hit and striking out one in the win for the Tiburones.
- RHP Frank Batista pitched two scoreless innings as the Aguilas Cibaenas captured a win over the Tigers del Licey. Batista gave up one hit and struck out one to earn his first hold of the season.
- LF Junior Lake struggled at the plate, going 0-for-4 with four strikeouts and a walk, as his Estrellas de Oriente side fell to the Gigantes del Cibao.
- DH Christian Villanueva went hitless but drove in his 16th run of the season on a fourth-inning, bases-loaded walk. His club, the Yaquis de Obregon, topped the Naranjeros de Hermosillo Sunday.
In a relatively quiet day for Cubs prospects in the Caribbean, infielder Luis Valbuena managed a pair of singles despite his Venezualian side falling Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Winter Leagues:
- 2B Luis Valbuena recorded a pair of singles, but it wasn’t enough as his Cardenales de Lara team lost to the Tiburones de La Guaira.
- RHP Loiger Padron pitched a scoreless fourth inning in the Leones del Caracas’ loss to the Tigres de Aragua. He gave up no hits but walked two.
- 2B Jonathan Herrera went 0-for-4 for the Navegantes del Magallanes in their win over the Caribes de Anzoategui. Herrera was recently signed to a minor league deal.
- CF John Andreoli went hitless in three at-bats as his Senadores de San Juan squad was crushed 17-0 by the Gigantes de Carolina.
On an otherwise quiet day for Cubs representatives in the Caribbean, Junior Lake recorded a few big hits for his Dominican team. Here are some notes from yesterday’s winter league action:
- LF Junior Lake had a big day at the plate for the Estrellas de Oriente in their win over the Tigres del Licey. The converted outfielder had a triple and a double, notched two RBI, scored three runs and walked three times. He finished 2-for-2 on the day.
- C Luis Flores went 0-for-3 but scored a run for the Estrellas.
- PR Junior Felix Arias entered the game in the sixth inning as a pinch-runner and scored for the Gigantes del Cibao, who were victorious over the Toros del Este.
- RHP Frank Batista was roughed up in two innings, giving up three earned runs in the Aguilas Cibaenas’ win over the Leones del Escogido.
- LF Christian Villanueva went 1-for-4 with a single as the Yaquis de Obregon fell to the Tomateros de Culiacan.
- LHP Joseph Ortiz picked up his second win of the winter in a Tiburones de La Guaira victory over the Navegantes del Magallanes. He pitched 0.2 innings and gave up one hit.
- 2B Luis Valbuena went hitless in four at-bats as the Cardenales de Lara fell to the Leones del Caracas.
Members of the Cubs organization made an impact Tuesday, especially from the offensive side, and a duo of farmhands participated in Venezuela’s All-Star Game. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- CF John Andreoli blasted his first home run of the winter in a 6-2 Senadores de San Juan win over the Gigantes de Carolina on Tuesday. The solo shot came in the third inning, and he added another single, finishing 2-for-4 with two runs scored. The 24-year-old Andreoli played 61 games at Double-A last season, compiling a .211/.329/.249 (AVG/OBP/SLG) line, stealing 28 bases and getting caught only twice. Though he lacks some pop, his 13.5 percent walk rate demonstrates his discipline at the plate.
- CF Arismendy Alcantara had a pair of hits as the Tigres del Licey edged out the Aguilas Cibaenas. He recorded his first double of the winter and added a run scored, finishing 2-for-5.
- LF Christian Villanueva had another monster day offensively for the Yaquis de Obregon in their loss to the Tomateros de Culican. The 23-year-old ripped a sixth-inning grand slam and added three singles. He finished 4-for-4. The home run was his sixth of the winter.
- RHP Lioger Padron pitched to one batter and got him out for the Future All-Stars side in their 8-0 win over the LVBP All-Stars.
- C Willson Contreras recorded a single in two at-bats for the Future All-Stars.
Slick-fielding infield prospect Christian Villanueva found himself in an unfamiliar spot Monday, as he lined up in left field. Though likely unrelated, he also had one of his better games of the winter at the dish. With few games going on around the Caribbean leagues, he was the only Cub in action. Here are some notes from yesterday’s game:
- LF Christian Villanueva smacked his fifth homer of the winter as the Yaquis de Obregon took down the Tomateros de Culiacan 6-3. He also added a single and scored a second run, finishing 2-for-4. Known for his defensive prowess at third base, it’s interesting to see the 23-year-old slated anywhere but the hot corner. In his six seasons of minor league ball, he has never played the outfield, and he is viewed by many as the best defensive third baseman in the organization. Though the glove has always been there, question marks surround Villanueva’s bat, as he hit .230/.297/.379 in split duties between Double- and Triple-A in 2014 and is a career .266 hitter. Though he has shown glimpses of pop (19 home runs in Double-A in 2013), it’s likely those offensive stats will need to improve as he progresses. Either way, games like the one he had Monday will surely boost his confidence.
It was a quiet day for the Cubs in Winter League action Sunday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s games around the Caribbean:
- 1B Willson Contreras drew a walk and went 0-for-2 as the Tigres de Aragua edged out the Aguilas del Zulia 3-2. It’s worth noting that Contreras played first base just twice in 2014. He served primarily as High-A Daytona’s catcher.
- 2B Luis Valbuena went 0-for-4 despite his Cardenales de Lara side coming away 2-1 winners against the Leones del Caracas.
- PH-RF Junior Felix Arias struck out in his only at-bat for the Gigantes del Cibao in their 9-1 win over the Estrellas de Oriente. He came on as a pinch-hitter in the ninth inning.
- C Luis Flores went hitless in three-at bats for Oriente.
Arismendy Alcantara hit a home run off an organizational teammate, and Christian Villanueva was one of the few bright spots in his team’s loss. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- CF Arismendy Alcantara smashed his second home run of the winter off organization mate Frank Batista, but his Tigres del Licey fell to the Aguilas Cibaenas. The two-run shot was his lone hit of the day in three at-bats.
- RHP Batista got the start and gave up three earned runs—including the aforementioned Alcantara homer—over four innings and struck out two for Cibaenas. His ERA now sits at 3.73.
- DH Christian Villanueva finished 1-for-4 with a single and a run scored despite his Yaquis de Obregon side falling 11-2 to the Charros de Jalisco Tuesday. He also managed to draw a walk in the defeat.
It was a quiet day for Cubs prospects in the Caribbean Sunday. Catching prospect Willson Contreras managed to help his team in Venezuela, while Arismendy Alcantara contributed to his Dominican club. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Caribbean action:
- CF Arismendy Alcantara recorded a single and walk for the Tigres del Licey. He finished 1-for-3 in the 7-2 win over the Aguilas Cibaenas.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua pitched a hitless eighth inning of relief for the Toros del Este. Antigua, who split time between Double- and Triple-A last season, struck out one Leones del Escogido hitter in a 5-4 loss.
- DH Christian Villanueva reached base on a pair of walks Sunday despite his Yaquis de Obregon side getting pummeled 16-3. He finished 0-for-2 against the Caneros de los Mochis pitchers.
- CF John Andreoli had a single in a Senadores de San Juan loss to the Indios de Mayaguez. He was one of four players to reach base in the 2-0 loss.
- C Willson Contreras recorded an RBI single as the Tigres de Aragua cruised to a 7-2 win over the Tiburones de La Guaira. Contreras is viewed as one of the better young catching prospects in the organization. He played 80 games at High-A Daytona, hitting .242/.320/.359 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with five homers.