Results tagged ‘ Arismendy Alcantara ’
(Photo by Stephen Green)
The Chicago Cubs today acquired outfielder Chris Coghlan from the Oakland Athletics for infielder Arismendy Alcantara.
Coghlan, 30, rejoins the Cubs after spending the 2014 and 2015 campaigns with Chicago. He batted .265 (219 for 825) with 53 doubles, 11 triples and 25 homers in 273 games for the Cubs, and last season set career marks with 16 homers, 58 walks, 47 extra-base hits and 148 games played as he helped the Cubs to a playoff berth. He was traded from Chicago to Oakland Feb. 25 of this season for right-handed pitcher Aaron Brooks.
Coghlan this season appeared in 51 games, including 46 starts, with the Athletics, batting .146 (23 for 158) with five doubles, five homers and 14 RBI. He has made just one error in 130 chances in the field (.992), making 16 starts at second base, 15 starts at third base, 11 starts in right field and two starts in left field.
The left-handed hitting Coghlan has batted .260 (625 for 2,402) with 140 doubles, 24 triples, 51 homers and 213 RBI in eight major-league seasons with the Marlins (2009-13), Cubs (2014-15) and Athletics (2016). He was originally drafted by the Marlins in the first compensation round of the 2006 Draft. In 2009, he was named NL Rookie of the Year, as he batted .321 (162 for 504) with 31 doubles, nine homers and 47 RBI in 128 games played. After five seasons with the Marlins, he signed as a minor-league free agent with the Cubs in January 2014.
Alcantara, 24, is batting .264 (52 for 197) with nine doubles, five triples, five homers, 21 RBI and 21 stolen bases in 53 games with Triple-A Iowa this season, his eighth professional campaign. Signed by Chicago as a non-drafted free agent in November 2008, he appeared in parts of two major-league seasons with the Cubs from 2014-15, batting .194 (59 for 304) with 11 doubles, two triples and 10 homers in 81 games.
(Photo by Stephen Green)
The Cubs selected the contract of infielder Addison Russell from Triple-A Iowa and optioned infielder/outfielder Arismendy Alcantara to Triple-A on Tuesday. To make room for Russell on the 40-man roster, infielder Mike Olt was transferred to the 60-day disabled list.
Russell, who will wear uniform No. 22, will be available for the Cubs tonight in Pittsburgh. The 21-year-old was hitting .318/.326/.477 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with one home run and nine RBI in 46 plate appearances at Triple-A Iowa this season.
He entered 2015 ranked as the third-best prospect in the game by Baseball America and the second-best prospect in the Cubs farm system. He was also named the top prospect in Oakland’s system heading into both the 2013 and 2014 campaigns. A first-round pick in the 2012 Draft (11th overall), Russell was acquired by the Cubs along with outfielder Billy McKinney and right-hander Dan Straily from Oakland for right-handers Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel last July 5. Russell also entered 2015 ranked as the second-best prospect by in the game by Baseball Prospectus.
The 6-foot, 200-pound Russell joins the Cubs after batting .301 (289-for-961) with 57 doubles, 20 triples, 38 home runs and 159 RBI in 244 minor league games covering the last four seasons. The right-handed hitter has posted a .377 on-base percentage and a .520 slugging percentage, good for an .897 OPS.
Russell played across three levels in his first pro campaign in 2012, earning All-Star honors for two clubs. He spent most of the 2013 campaign at High-A Stockton as a 19-year-old, recording 29 doubles, 10 triples and 17 homers to become one of only 12 minor leaguers to reach double digits in all three categories. Russell was named to the U.S. Futures team, earned postseason California League All-Star honors and capped 2013 by playing in the Arizona Fall League, where he was named to the AFL All-Star team.
Last season, Russell combined to bat .295 (76-for-258) with 14 doubles, one triple, 13 home runs and 45 RBI in 68 games between Stockton, Double-A Midland and Double-A Tennessee. He also played 11 games in a return trip to the Arizona Fall League.
Alcantara, 23, is hitting .077 (2-for-26) with five runs scored and one RBI in 11 games for the Cubs this season.
Olt, 26, continues his recovery from a hairline fracture in his right wrist.
Not many Cubs prospects took the field Tuesday, but Arismendy Alcantara stole the show for his squad in the Dominican Republic. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- CF Arismendy Alcantara recorded three hits, including a two-run homer, as the Tigres del Licey cruised past the Leones del Escogido. He finished 3-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- CF Junior Felix Arias went 0-for-2 in the Gigantes del Cibao’s win over Aguilas Cibaenas.
- 3B Christian Villanueva struggled to find any rhythm, going 0-for-5, despite the Yaquis de Obregon pulling out a 6-5 win over the Caneros de los Mochis.
Javier Baez blasted his first home run of the winter Sunday, while Junior Lake contributed to his Dominican squad. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- 2B Javier Baez ripped a two-run, first-inning home run for his first round-tripper of the winter. He also recorded a double to go 2-for-4 in the Cangrejeros de Santurce’s win over the Senadores de San Juan.
- CF John Andreoli struggled at the plate, going 0-for-3 with three strikeouts in the San Juan loss.
- 2B Luis Valbuena had an RBI single. He finished with a hit in his only at-bat in the Cardenales de Lara’s win over the Tiburones de La Guaira.
- C Willson Contrereas was 0-for-3 as the Tigres de Aragua were shut out by the Navegantes del Magallanes.
- RHP Loiger Padron got only one batter out, giving up three earned runs on two hits and a walk. His Leones del Caracas squad fell to the Caribes de Anzoategui.
- LF Junior Lake went 2-for-3 and drew a walk in the Estrellas de Oriente’s 10-3 win over the Gigantes del Cibao. He also scored a run.
- CF Arismendy Alcantara finished 0-for-4 with a walk as the Tigres del Licey fell to the Aguilas Cibaenas.
- 3B Christian Villanueva went hitless with a sacrifice fly and a walk for the Yaquis de Obregon in their narrow loss to the Aguilas de Mexicali.
Christian Villanueva went yard, and Junior Lake got on base three times Wednesday for their respective winter league clubs. Here are some notes from all of yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- 3B Christian Villanueva hit his seventh home run of the season as the Yaquis de Obregon edged out the Venados de Mazatlan 7-5 Wednesday. Villanueva reached on an error in the third and later scored a run. He finished 1-for-4.
- LF Junior Lake reached base three times, going 1-for-1 with a single and two walks for the Estrellas de Oriente. He scored the game’s lone run in a win over the Leones del Escogido.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara recorded an RBI single in the Tigres del Licey’s 2-0 win over the Gigantes del Cibao. He went 1-f0r-4.
- 2B Luis Valbuena had an RBI double and drew a walk in the Cardenales de Lara’s 9-4 win over the Bravos de Margarita.
- DH Jonathan Herrera reached base twice with two singles and scored a run as the Navegantes del Magallanes topped the Tiburones de La Guaira.
- LHP Joseph Ortiz had a rough outing, allowing two earned runs on three hits over one inning for La Guaira.
Starling Peralta’s efforts out of the bullpen were the highlight of Cubs representatives in the Caribbean Tuesday. Here are some notes from the rest of yesterday’s Winter League action:
- RHP Starling Peralta pitched three scoreless innings of relief for the Estrellas de Oriente in their loss to the Leones del Escogido. He surrendered just one hit and struck out two.
- LF Junior Lake went hitless in three at-bats but drew a walk in the Estrellas’ loss.
- CF Arismendy Alcantara finished 0-for-4 as the Tigres del Licey were blanked by the Gigantes del Cibao Tuesday.
- LF Christian Villanueva had a base hit in the Yaquis de Obregon’s 10-2 loss to the Venados de Mazatlan. He finished 1-for-4.
- CF John Andreoli singled and scored a run despite his Senadores de San Juan side getting edged out by the Indios de Mayaguez in a 4-3 ballgame.
Members of the Cubs organization made an impact Tuesday, especially from the offensive side, and a duo of farmhands participated in Venezuela’s All-Star Game. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- CF John Andreoli blasted his first home run of the winter in a 6-2 Senadores de San Juan win over the Gigantes de Carolina on Tuesday. The solo shot came in the third inning, and he added another single, finishing 2-for-4 with two runs scored. The 24-year-old Andreoli played 61 games at Double-A last season, compiling a .211/.329/.249 (AVG/OBP/SLG) line, stealing 28 bases and getting caught only twice. Though he lacks some pop, his 13.5 percent walk rate demonstrates his discipline at the plate.
- CF Arismendy Alcantara had a pair of hits as the Tigres del Licey edged out the Aguilas Cibaenas. He recorded his first double of the winter and added a run scored, finishing 2-for-5.
- LF Christian Villanueva had another monster day offensively for the Yaquis de Obregon in their loss to the Tomateros de Culican. The 23-year-old ripped a sixth-inning grand slam and added three singles. He finished 4-for-4. The home run was his sixth of the winter.
- RHP Lioger Padron pitched to one batter and got him out for the Future All-Stars side in their 8-0 win over the LVBP All-Stars.
- C Willson Contreras recorded a single in two at-bats for the Future All-Stars.
Arismendy Alcantara hit a home run off an organizational teammate, and Christian Villanueva was one of the few bright spots in his team’s loss. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- CF Arismendy Alcantara smashed his second home run of the winter off organization mate Frank Batista, but his Tigres del Licey fell to the Aguilas Cibaenas. The two-run shot was his lone hit of the day in three at-bats.
- RHP Batista got the start and gave up three earned runs—including the aforementioned Alcantara homer—over four innings and struck out two for Cibaenas. His ERA now sits at 3.73.
- DH Christian Villanueva finished 1-for-4 with a single and a run scored despite his Yaquis de Obregon side falling 11-2 to the Charros de Jalisco Tuesday. He also managed to draw a walk in the defeat.
It was a quiet day for Cubs prospects in the Caribbean Sunday. Catching prospect Willson Contreras managed to help his team in Venezuela, while Arismendy Alcantara contributed to his Dominican club. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Caribbean action:
- CF Arismendy Alcantara recorded a single and walk for the Tigres del Licey. He finished 1-for-3 in the 7-2 win over the Aguilas Cibaenas.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua pitched a hitless eighth inning of relief for the Toros del Este. Antigua, who split time between Double- and Triple-A last season, struck out one Leones del Escogido hitter in a 5-4 loss.
- DH Christian Villanueva reached base on a pair of walks Sunday despite his Yaquis de Obregon side getting pummeled 16-3. He finished 0-for-2 against the Caneros de los Mochis pitchers.
- CF John Andreoli had a single in a Senadores de San Juan loss to the Indios de Mayaguez. He was one of four players to reach base in the 2-0 loss.
- C Willson Contreras recorded an RBI single as the Tigres de Aragua cruised to a 7-2 win over the Tiburones de La Guaira. Contreras is viewed as one of the better young catching prospects in the organization. He played 80 games at High-A Daytona, hitting .242/.320/.359 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with five homers.
Arismendy Alcantara had a big day at the plate in the Dominican Wednesday, while numerous other Cubs contributed to their respective clubs. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action in the Caribbean:
- CF Arismendy Alcantara’s Tigres del Licey fell 6-3 to the Gigantes del Cibao despite the major leaguer’s big day at the plate. The 23-year-old had a three-hit game including a first-inning solo shot. He finished 3-for-4 with a an RBI and a run scored.
- CF-LF Junior Lake reached base twice, going 1-for-5 with a walk and scoring two runs in an Estrellas de Oriente win over the Leones del Escogido. Lake also stole his third base of the season.
- 3B Christian Villanueva is better known for his defense, but he contributed in the Yaquis de Obregon’s win. He racked up his third double of the winter, finishing 1-for-3 and adding a walk. Obregon held of the Venados de Mazatlan by a score of 5-4.
- CF John Andreoli had one of the Senadores de San Juan’s four hits Thursday. Batting leadoff, he finished 1-for-3 with a walk in the loss to the Criollos de Caguas.