Results tagged ‘ Arizona Fall League ’
Mesa’s late rally was thwarted by Surprise, as the Solar Sox fell 6-5 Monday, but three Cubs prospects got into the game. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- 1B Dan Vogelbach finished 1-for-3, with a double to lead off the third inning. He also recorded a sacrifice fly in the first to give Mesa an early lead and drew a ninth-inning walk.
- LF Jacob Hannemann went 1-for-4 with a bunt single in the second inning. He recorded an RBI groundout in the eighth as well.
- SS Addison Russell was 0-for-5 and committed his second error of the AFL season defensively. But he also helped turn two double plays.
Mesa heads to Surprise Tuesday, where Cubs farmhand C.J. Edwards is scheduled to start. The start time is 12:35 local time.
Mesa took it to one of the game’s best prospects, cruising to an 8-4 win over Diamondbacks farmhand Archie Bradley on Saturday. A trio of Cubs prospects were in the lineup, with mixed results. Here are some notes from Saturday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RF Bijan Rademacher went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles, an RBI and a run scored. In the second inning, he reached on a ball hit to the shortstop, scoring Eric Stamets (Angels) from second. In the fourth, he recorded a leadoff bunt single, moved to second on a throwing error, and got to third on a single. He then stole home.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach went 0-for-3 with two runs scored. He drew a walk in the first inning and scored on a Tony Renda (Nationals) triple. He reached on a fielder’s choice in the third and later scored on a sacrifice fly.
- DH Addison Russell finished the day 0-for-4 with two runs scored. He reached on a fielder’s choice in the first and scored on the Renda triple. Russell reached base in the third on a throwing error and scored three batters later from third on a force out.
Mesa hosts Surprise on Monday with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
A host of Cubs prospects were in action Thursday, and made a difference, as the Solar Sox captured a 6-2 win over Peoria. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP Ivan Pineyro got the start, pitching three scoreless innings in the win. He gave up four hits—all singles—and struck out three while walking none.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach went 2-for-4 with his first RBI of the fall. In the fourth inning, he doubled, scoring Addison Russell from second. He reached base again in the eighth with a soft single to left and scored on a Spencer Kieboom (Nationals) homer a batter later.
- RHP Zach Cates pitched two scoreless innings, striking out one while giving up two hits and a walk.
- SS Russell went 1-for-4, hitting a single in the eighth inning and reaching base on an error. He scored on the aforementioned Vogelbach double and Kieboom homer.
- DH Jacob Hannemann went 0-for-4.
Mesa hosts Surprise Friday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
Led by Cubs right-hander C.J. Edwards’ three solid innings of work, Mesa cruised to a 5-2 win over Peoria Wednesday. A few of the position players also made contributions in the victory. Here are some Cubs notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- RHP C.J. Edwards gave up one hit and one walk over three scoreless innings, picking up his first win of the fall. He struck out three batters, including Francisco Lindor (Indians), one of the game’s top farmhands.
- RF Bijan Rademacher went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- DH Addison Russell was 1-for-3 with a run-scoring, second-inning double, bringing in Cal Towey (Angels). He also drew a walk.
Mesa hosts Peoria Thursday, with first pitch scheduled for 6:35 local time.
Despite outhitting Scottsdale, Mesa was on the losing end of its matchup Tuesday. Addison Russell played a big role for the offense, but Gerardo Concepcion struggled on the mound. Here are some Cubs notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- SS Addison Russell went 1-for-4 with two runs scored and a walk Tuesday. Russell led off the eighth inning with a single to left, and scored one batter later on a Matt Olson (Athletics) home run. He drew a one-out walk in the ninth, scoring from third three batters later on a Kaleb Cowart (Angels) force out. He also committed his first throwing error of the fall.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion struggled in 1.2 innings of work, giving up three earned runs on one hit and two walks and striking out one batter.
The Solar Sox resume play Wednesday with a 12:35 local time start at Peoria. Cubs right-hander C.J. Edwards is scheduled to start.
Mesa was on the losing end of a 2-1 matchup with Scottsdale Monday, despite a lineup littered with Cubs prospects. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- 2B Addison Russell went 1-for-3 with a single to left in the sixth inning and a walk in the eighth.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach finished the day 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- RF Jacob Hannemann was 0-for-4 with a strikeout, leaving six runners on base.
- RHP Zach Cates entered the game in the fifth inning with a two outs and a runner on second. He forced Blake Miller (Giants) to pop out to second.
Mesa hosts Scottsdale Tuesday, with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 local time.
A trio of Cubs prospects played in Mesa’s afternoon matchup with Peoria on Saturday. A pair of position players got starts, while a reliever pitched a scoreless 1.1 innings in the Solar Sox’s win. Here are some highlights from the Cubs prospects in the Arizona Fall League:
- RF Bijan Rademacher went 1-for-3, leading off the seventh inning with a single up the middle. He stole second and scored two batters later on a Dalton Pompey (Blue Jays) triple. He also recorded an outfield assist.
- DH Jake Hannemann went 0-for-3.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro was credited with his first hold of the AFL season, going 1.1 innings and allowing two hits, striking out one and walking two.
After an off day Sunday, Mesa resumes action when it heads to Scottsdale for a 7:35 CST start Monday.
The Arizona Fall League opened up on Tuesday, with Glendale getting the best of the Mesa Solar Sox, 9-3. The Cubs had a trio of prospects in action. Addison Russell drove in two Solar Sox runs, while outfielder Jacob Hannemann rounded out Mesa’s scoring with a sac fly in the losing effort.
- DH Addison Russell went 1-for-4 with a two-run single in the top of the second inning, scoring Boog Powell (Athletics) and Dalton Pompey (Blue Jays). He also reached on a fielder’s choice in the first.
- LF Jacob Hannemann entered the game as a defensive replacement in the seventh and recorded a sacrifice fly to left, scoring Kaleb Cowart (Angels).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach came into the game in the bottom of the sixth. He struck out in his only at-bat of the game.
After clinching the AFL East Division with a 19-11-1 record, Mesa had an opportunity to claim the Arizona Fall League title on Saturday. Cubs prospect Dallas Beeler pitched well as the Sox’s starter, but Mesa couldn’t get the bats going—Kris Bryant and Jorge Soler included—in a 2-0 loss to Surprise. Despite the championship loss, Bryant was named the AFL’s MVP after hitting .364/.457/.727 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with a league-high six homers in 77 at-bats. He also led the league in total bases (56), OPS (1.184) and slugging.
Beeler was handed the loss, after giving up one earned run on two hits and a walk over five innings. He also struck out five. Bryant finished 0-for-4 at the plate while Soler was 0-for-3 . Here are the final stats for the Cubs prospects in the AFL.
Albert Almora, OF – .307/.342/.480, 75 AB, 1 HR, 6 2B, 2 3B, 12 RBI, 8 R
Kris Bryant, 3B – .364/.457/.727, 77 AB, 6 HR, 8 2B, 1 3B, 17 RBI, 22 R
Wes Darvill, UT – .171/.237/.286, 35 AB, 1 HR, 1 2B, 5 RBI, 4 R
Jorge Soler, RF – .271/.311/.376, 85 AB, 1 HR, 6 2B, 14 RBI, 11 R
Dallas Beeler – 4-1, 2.49 ERA, 21.2 IP, 9 K, 5 BB, 1.34 WHIP
Lendy Castillo – 0-0, 1.74 ERA, 10.1 IP, 7 K, 12 BB, 2.03 WHIP
Matt Loosen – 2-1, 3.29 ERA, 13.2 IP, 14 K, 6 BB, 1.54 WHIP
Armando Rivero – 0-1, 4.91 ERA, 11.0 IP, 9 K, 5 BB, 1.73 WHIP
The Solar Sox wrapped up their division Thursday with a 9-3 win over Glendale. Kris Bryant and Jorge Soler both had solid days at the plate. Mesa will take on Surprise Saturday in the AFL Championship Game. Edwin Maysonet had a pair of hits for his Puerto Rican side and Marcus Hatley racked up another save in Mexico. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Arizona Fall League
Kris Bryant, 3B – Bryant walked in his first at-bat and reached base on a single in his third at-bat. He would later score on a Tyler Collins (Tigers) homer. Bryant walked again in the seventh and finished the game 1-for-3 with two walks.
Jorge Soler, RF – Soler singled in his first at-bat and reached on a fielding error in his second plate appearance. He then reached on a single past the shortstop in the top of the fifth. Collins would drive him in also on the home run as Soler finished the afternoon 2-for-5.
Marcus Hatley, RHP – Hatley racked up his fifth save of the winter, despite giving up a home run in a Culiacan win.
Edwin Maysonet, SS – Maysonet had a pair of singles for Santurce, finishing 2-for-4 in a win.
Jonathan Mota, 3B – Mota recorded an RBI double and scored a run for Ponce.