Results tagged ‘ Cubs Minor League Notebook ’
Iowa gave up a pair of runs in the sixth inning to let a lead slip away, and Daytona dropped another game Tuesday. Tennessee and Kane County were both off. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (33-29)
T-1st Place (–)
Fresno tallied two runs in the sixth inning to beat the visiting Iowa Cubs, 3-2.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.278) recorded his second-straight multihit game, going 2-for-5 with two runs scored and his ninth triple of the campaign.
- CF Matt Szczur (.234) and RF Casper Wells (.217) each recorded two hits apiece.
- RHP Marcos Mateo (5.02) tossed a scoreless eighth inning of relief.
Daytona Cubs (25-38)
5th Place (-18.5)
Daytona lost its fourth-straight game, falling at Dunedin, 11-4.
- C Chadd Krist (.214) went 1-for-3 with a third-inning, solo home run.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.204) and SS Marco Hernandez (.284) each recorded two hits apiece.
- RHP Zack Godley (5.74) struck out three and allowed an unearned run in two innings of relief.
Daytona snapped its losing streak Monday, but Iowa, Tennessee and Kane County were all on the losing side of the ledger. Here are the highlights of yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (29-26)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Iowa dropped the third game in a four-game set to host Nashville, 4-1, to fall into second place.
- The I-Cubs offense recorded six singles, including two apiece from 1B Chris Valaika (.297) and RHP Dallas Beeler, whose second and third hits of the season raised his average to .500 (3-for-6).
- Beeler suffered his second loss in a row despite tossing his third quality start in a row, and fourth of the year. He has a 2.05 ERA (6 ER/26.1 IP) on the road and a 12.96 ERA (12 ER/8.1 IP) at home.
Tennessee Smokies (26-31)
2nd Place (-12.5)
Tennessee lost its eighth-straight game, falling to visiting Birmingham, 10-5.
- DH Kris Bryant (.351) earned Southern League Hitter of the Week honors for the week of May 26-June 1, hitting .478 (11-23) over that span with seven runs, two doubles, five homers, seven RBI and nine walks. Bryant leads the league with a .351 average, 18 home runs, 49 RBI, 49 runs, 72 hits and 141 total bases. He also leads the Southern League in OBP (.455), slugging (.688) and OPS (1.143).
- Bryant celebrated the honor with his 20th multihit game (in 56 games), going 2-for-4 with a run and a walk.
- Other Smokies hitters with multiple hits included C Charles Cutler (2-for-5, R), 1B Dustin Geiger (2-for-4, R, 2 RBI) and 3B Anthony Giansanti (3-for-4, R, 2B, RBI).
- CF Rubi Silva (.235) ripped a double in the ninth to knock in his 26th run, second on the team.
Daytona Cubs (21-34)
5th Place (-17.5)
Daytona snapped its five-game losing skid, beating host St. Lucie, 3-1.
- LHP Nathan Dorris picked up the win, giving up one earned run over 6.2 innings.
- LF Zeke DeVoss (.206), PH-RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.279) and C Chadd Krist (.217) each had two singles.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.261) doubled to lead off the third, notching Daytona’s lone extra-base hit.
- In relief of Dorris’ first quality start, RHP Zach Cates (2.08) threw 1.1 scoreless frames for the hold (1), and RHP Michael Jensen (3.24) spun a scoreless ninth for the save (1).
Kane County Cougars (38-20)
1st Place (+6.5)
The Peoria Chiefs put up three in the fifth and two in the seventh to beat the visiting Cougars, 5-3.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.234) went 3-for-5 with a double (5), two RBI (20) and his 17th stolen base.
- Three other Cougars doubled: 1B Ben Carhart (.291, 14 2B), RF Yasiel Balaguert (.241, 9 2B) and 2B Danny Lockhart (.261, 11 2B).
- RHP Duane Underwood did not allow a hit until the fourth inning, and has not surrendered more than two earned runs in any of his last six starts.
Iowa mounted an exciting comeback victory to remain in a tie for first place, but Tennessee, Daytona and Kane County all lost Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (22-18)
T-1st Place (–)
The I-Cubs trailed 8-5 entering the eighth, but scored four runs on two homers in the frame, highlighted by a two-out, three-run shot by 2B Arismendy Alcantara. Iowa defeated visiting Round Rock, 9-8.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada allowed a season-high six earned runs. After allowing just two earned runs over his first five starts for a 0.57 ERA, he has surrendered 10 runs in his last three games, inflating his ERA to 2.10.
- Alcantara (.272) went 1-for-5 with the home run and a game-high four RBI (21).
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.235) went 2-for-4 with a double (13) and an eighth-inning solo home run.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (2.95) earned his first win of the season. RHP Blake Parker got the save (8).
Tennessee Smokies (23-20)
2nd Place (-6.5)
Tennessee lost its fourth-straight game, falling at Mississippi, 4-2.
- Smokies hitters managed just five singles, three of which came in a two-run fourth inning. RF Rubi Silva (.264, 25 RBI) and CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.212, 13 RBI) each recorded an RBI in the frame.
- RHP Lendy Castillo (3.86) worked a scoreless ninth inning. He’s allowed just one hit over his last four relief appearances (4.0 IP).
Daytona Cubs (14-25)
5th Place (-15.5)
Daytona managed just five hits in a 10-1 loss at Fort Myers.
- CF Albert Almora (.275) recorded two of Daytona’s five hits, both singles.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.295) hit his fourth double of the year in the second inning, knocking in his 14th run.
- RHP Starling Peralta (2.93) tossed four scoreless innings of relief while fanning three and allowing just one hit.
Kane County Cougars (28-15)
1st Place (+2.5)
Visiting Quad Cities pounded out 17 hits in a 10-3 victory over Kane County.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.243) went 2-for-4 with a run, a double (13), a homer (3) and two RBI (15).
- C Ben Carhart (.250) went 3-for-4 with two runs. He also recorded a pickoff from behind the plate.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.241) went 1-for-4 with his eighth double and his 24th RBI.
- River Bandits DH Brian Holberton (.350) hit for the fifth minor league cycle of 2014, going 5-for-5 with five RBI.
Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all racked up big wins, while Kane County continued its small losing streak Monday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (9-9)
T-2nd Place (-1.5)
Six scoreless innings from RHP Kyle Hendricks helped Iowa beat Round Rock at home, 5-1.
- Hendricks completed his third consecutive quality start, going six innings, giving up two hits, walking two and fanning six to pick up his third win of the season.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin (1.86) earned his first hold with a 1-2-3 seventh, and RHP Brian Schlitter (3.60) earned his third save, allowing a run over two innings.
- CF Matt Szczur (.246) went 3-for-4 with a run, a triple (1), one RBI (8) and a stolen base (5).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.262) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and his first homer of the year.
Tennessee Smokies (9-9)
T-2nd Place (-2.0)
The Smokies scored a season-high 10 runs in Birmingham to beat the Barons, 10-5.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee gave up two earned runs over five innings, striking out four and walking five to earn the win.
- RF Rubi Silva (.206) notched his second straight, multi-RBI game, going 2-for-5 with a first-inning home run and a game-high three RBI (6).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.172) was 3-for-5 with three runs, a double and a solo homer, his first of the year.
- LF John Andreoli (.234) went 2-for-6 with two runs, a triple (1), one RBI (5) and a stolen base (8).
Daytona Cubs (4-13)
5th Place (-10.0)
Daytona battled Clearwater in a contest that featured five runs for each side in the first four innings, followed by six scoreless frames. The Cubs scored in the top of the 11th inning to win, 6-5.
- RHP Jake Arrieta made his fourth rehab start, and first with Daytona. Arrieta fanned seven hitters while allowing three home runs in 5.2 innings of work. He went 1-1 with a 0.73 ERA (1 ER/12.1 IP) in three starts with Tennessee.
- RHP Jose Rosario (1-2, 5.19) took over in the seventh and threw four scoreless frames for the win.
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (1.50) earned his first save with a perfect 11th inning of work.
- C Chadd Krist (3-for-5) doubled in the 11th to put two runners in scoring position.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (0-for-3, 2 R, 2 BB) scored on a wild pitch in the 11th to put the Cubs ahead.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.214) went 2-for-4 with a run, two doubles (3) and two RBI (5).
Kane County Cougars (11-6)
1st Place (+0.5)
Kane County lost its third straight game, falling to visiting Clearwater, 5-3.
- RHP Josh Davis (1.69) allowed two runs on two hits in the ninth to suffer the loss, his first.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.328) went 1-for-4 with two RBI. His 14 RBI are tied for second in the league.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (1-for-4) knocked in his 11th runner of the year, tied for 12th in the league.
Iowa, Tennessee and Kane County all racked up victories Sunday, while a big inning was too much to overcome for High-A Daytona. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (6-5)
2nd Place (-2.0)
Iowa climbed over the .500 mark for the first time this season with a 6-3 victory at Memphis.
- CF Matt Szczur (.256) went 1-for-4 with a seventh-inning, two-run homer.
- C Luis Flores (.400) recorded Iowa’s lone multihit game, going 2-for-3 with two runs and a walk.
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa made his first start following time at extended Spring Training and allowed one run in two innings before reaching his pitch limit.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (1-0, 1.42) tossed three scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win of the year.
- RHP Marcos Mateo (1.80) recorded the final out of the game to convert his first save.
Tennessee Smokies (5-5)
T-3rd Place (-2.0)
Tennessee used a six-run second-inning to defeat visiting Chattanooga, 8-2.
- RHP Matt Loosen (1-1) picked up the win, giving up two earned runs in five innings of work and striking out five.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.194) went 1-for-4 with a second-inning, two-run homer.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.235) followed DeVoss’s blast with a solo home run, his first of the year.
- SS Wes Darvill (.200) went a perfect 3-for-3 with a run, a double (1) and a game-high three RBI (4).
- 3B Kris Bryant (.276) reached base three times, going 1-for-3 with two runs, two walks and one stolen base (2).
- RHP Armando Rivero (2.84) struck out three hitters in two scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (2-8)
5th Place (-6.0)
Host Tampa scored four runs in the fifth inning to defeat Daytona, 7-3.
- DH Bijan Rademacher (.435) went 2-for-4 with a double (2) and team-high two RBI (2).
- 2B Tim Saunders (.212) batted leadoff and went 2-for-5 with a run, a double (2) and one RBI (4).
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (0.00) worked 2.1 scoreless innings of relief and fanned three.
Kane County Cougars (7-3)
T-1st Place (–)
Kane County swept its three-game set against visiting Lake County with a rain-shortened 6-1 victory.
- RHP Duane Underwood pitched 3.0 innings, giving up one earned run and striking out five in the no-decision.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.381) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a double (4).
- DH Daniel Canela (.208) and 2B Daniel Lockhart (.158) both went 1-for-3 with an RBI.
- RHP Justin Amlung (2-0, 0.00) struck out five hitters in four scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the campaign.
Iowa wrapped up their series with a win, and Kane County also pulled off a victory Thursday. The bats were quiet in losses for the Smokies and D-Cubs. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (4-4)
T-2nd Place (-2.0)
Iowa defeated Nashville 5-1, and won three of four games in the series.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks picked up the win, going 7.0 innings, giving up one earned run on five hits and a walk while striking out five.
- SS Javier Baez (.154) went 1-for-4 with a sixth-inning, two-run homer.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.263) went 2-for-4 with a double (2) and two RBI (3).
- CF Matt Szczur (.233) and 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.280) recorded two hits apiece.
- RHPs Neil Ramirez (10.80) and Blake Parker (0.00) both tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (2-5)
T-4th Place (-4.0)
Chattanooga scored a run in the ninth inning to beat the Smokies 1-0.
- RHP Jake Arrieta made his second start with the Smokies as part of a major league rehab assignment, tossing 3.2 scoreless innings while fanning four. Arrieta threw 66 pitches (44 strikes), and has allowed just three hits while striking out seven in two starts (6.2 IP).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.280) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee (0-1, 3.12) suffered the loss despite allowing just one run in 4.0 innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (1-6)
T-5th Place (-5.0)
Dunedin tallied 18 hits en route to sweeping the three-game set in Daytona, beating the Cubs 12-2.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.455) recorded three of Daytona’s seven hits, going 3-for-3 with a run scored and a walk.
- DH Tim Saunders (.211) went 1-for-4 with his third RBI of the season.
- RF Oliver Zapata (.273) went 1-for-3 with a run scored, a walk and one RBI (1).
Kane County Cougars (4-3)
T-2nd Place (-1.0)
Kane County pulled into a second place tie with a 7-5 victory over visiting Fort Wayne.
- RHP Tyler Skulina picked up the win, pitching 5.2 innings and striking out six.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.167) and SS Carlos Penalver (.259) combined to go 4-for-10 with five runs scored.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.300) went 1-for-4 with a walk and a game-high three RBI (7).
- RHP Justin Amlung (0.00) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief to record his first hold of the year.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (0.00) worked the ninth inning to convert his first save of the campaign.
Christian Villanueva powered Triple-A Iowa to victory, but both Tennessee and Daytona lost one-run games Monday night. Kane County had the day off and resumes action Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (2-3)
4th Place (1.5 Games Back)
3B Christian Villanueva supported a strong start by LHP Tsuyoshi Wada with a go-ahead, three-run home run with two outs in the sixth inning to lift Iowa over visiting Nashville, 4-1.
- RF Brett Jackson (.143) notched his first two hits of the season, including a fifth-inning triple, finishing 2-for-2 with a run scored, a walk and a stolen base.
- LHP Wada earned his first win in his debut with the I-Cubs. His eight punchouts have him tied for fifth place in the Pacific Coast League this season.
- RHP Blake Parker (0.00) earned the save, striking out two in a scoreless ninth. His 42 career saves are tops in the organization.
Tennessee Smokies (1-4)
5th Place (3 Games Back)
Tennessee fell at Pensacola, dropping a 3-2 decision and finishing the five-game series with a 1-4 record.
- RHP Matt Loosen went five innings, giving up three earned runs, walking three and striking out two in the loss.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.278) went 2-for-4 with his second solo home run in as many days.
- SS Jeudy Valdez (.375) went 2-for-3 including an eighth-inning double that drove in his first run of the season.
- RHP Ryan Searle (2.08), LHP Hunter Cervenka (0.00), and RHP Tony Zych (9.00) combined for five strikeouts over three perfect innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (1-3)
T-4th Place (2 Games Back)
Daytona surrendered an early three-run lead at home vs. Brevard County, losing 5-4 and committing three errors.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny gave up four runs in four innings, striking out six and walking two in a no-decision.
- LF Rock Shoulders (.200) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double, two RBI and two strikeouts.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.286) added two hits, going 2-for-4 with a run scored, a triple and one RBI.
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (0-1, 0.00) suffered the loss on an unearned run that scored on a fielding error by SS Marco Hernandez in the top of the fifth inning.