Results tagged ‘ Cubs Minor League Recap ’
Iowa and Daytona both had offensive outbursts, and Kane County held on to capture a win Tuesday. Tennessee surrendered 14 runs in a loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (10-9)
T-2nd Place (-1.5)
Six extra-base hits and a quality start from Eric Jokisch helped Iowa to a 10-3 win over Round Rock.
- LHP Eric Jokisch picked up his first win of the season, going seven innings, giving up three runs on seven hits and no walks, and fanning eight.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.271) went 2-for-5 with two runs, a double, a homer and two RBI (10). It was his second homer in as many games.
- SS Javier Baez (.184) went 2-for-5 with a run, a triple and three RBI (6).
- DH Chris Valaika (.340) went 3-for-3 with a run, a double, a walk and an RBI.
- C Luis Flores (.300) went 2-for-3 with three runs, a walk and two RBI.
- Iowa hit .538 (7-for-13) with runners in scoring position.
Tennessee Smokies (9-10)
4th Place (-2.0)
Birmingham’s eight-run fifth and five-run eighth contributed to a Smokies 14-3 setback on the road.
- RHP Pierce Johnson was activated from the DL (right hamstring strain), and made his first career start at the Double-A level. He gave up three earned runs over four innings, striking out five.
- 3B Kris Bryant went 3-for-5 with a run and a double, raising his season average to .311.
- RHP Ryan Searle (9.26) allowed six earned runs in relief.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (4.70) replaced him and allowed five runs, three earned.
Daytona Cubs (5-13)
5th Place (-9.0)
Daytona tallied 14 runs on 12 extra-base hits between the third and sixth innings to win, 18-5, at Clearwater.
- RHP Tayler Scott earned the win, giving up one earned run over 5.1 innings and striking out one.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.250) launched his second homer, a two-out grand slam in the ninth inning, and went 3-for-5 with four runs, a walk, two doubles, the homer and four RBI (12).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.339) went 4-for-5 with four runs, a walk, a double, two triples and three RBI (11).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.474) added three hits, going 3-for-4 with four runs, a walk and an RBI.
Kane County (12-6)
1st Place (+0.5)
Kane County held off a late Beloit rally to win, 5-4, at home.
- RHP Paul Blackburn gave up one earned run over 5.1 innings, posting no strikeouts and walking two.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (2.2 IP, 1 ER, 1.64) and RHP Jose Arias (0.2 IP, 2 ER, 4.50) earned holds, while RHP Zack Godley (2.35 ERA) recorded a one-out save, his third.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.324) went 1-for-4 with a run, a walk and an RBI. His 15 RBI are tied for second in the league.
- Four other players recorded one RBI each: CF Jacob Hannemann (.226, 5), SS Carlos Penalver (.302, 6), DH Ben Carhart (.276, 8) and 3B David Bote (.225, 5).
Iowa won a sloppy game, while Tennessee split its doubleheader and Kane County set a season high in runs Thursday. Daytona’s struggles continued in a loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (8-6)
2nd Place (-1.5)
Iowa beat visiting New Orleans, 5-4, despite committing a season-high six errors. The last time Iowa had six errors in a game was July 21, 2004, at Nashville.
- LHP Eric Jokisch got a no-decision, giving up no earned runs and striking out five in 5.2 innings.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.361), SS Logan Watkins (.222), and C Eli Whiteside (.200) each recorded two hits and drove in a run.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (2-0, 1.17) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to pick up his second win.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (3.00) earned his second save despite allowing a run in the ninth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (7-7)
T-3rd Place (-2.0)
Tennessee split a home doubleheader against Jackson, evening the ongoing five-game series at two wins apiece. The Smokies were blanked 4-0 in Game 1, managing only one hit. In Game 2, Tennessee overcame a 2-0 deficit to pull out a 3-2 win.
- RHP Corey Black gave up three earned runs in four innings, fanning three and walking five in the loss.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.289) went 1-for-2 with a single, the lone Tennessee hit.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee pitched four innings, giving up two earned runs and striking out four in the no-decision.
- C Taylor Davis (.333) put Tennessee ahead with an RBI single in the fourth inning.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (1-0, 0.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to record his first victory.
- RHP Armando Rivero (2.45) recorded his third save of the season, striking out the side and walking one in a scoreless seventh.
Daytona Cubs (2-12)
6th Place (-9.5)
Daytona dropped its fifth-consecutive contest, losing 6-5 at home to the Tampa Yankees.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.306) went 2-for-4 from the leadoff spot with a run scored, a walk, a home run, two RBI (6), a stolen base (6) and a sacrifice fly.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.213) went 3-for-4 with a walk and one RBI (6).
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (1.80) allowed a hit and a walk while striking out the side in the ninth.
Kane County Cougars (11-3)
1st Place (+2.5)
Kane County backed an elite start by 20-year-old Daury Torrez, recording a season-high 13 runs on 19 hits to beat host Dayton, 13-1. The Cougars have now won eight straight games.
- RHP Daury Torrez was nearly unhittable, going eight innings, giving up one earned run on two hits and a walk, and striking out four to get his second win of the season.
- C Will Remillard (.250) went 4-for-5 with two runs, two doubles (2) and his first five RBI of 2014.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert went 2-for-5 to raise his batting average to .382, good for second in the Midwest League. He ranks second in hits (21) and fourth in RBI (12).
- Remillard and Balaguert were among seven Cougars to tally multiple hits, along with Jacob Hannemann, Carlos Penalver, Ben Carhart, Jacob Rogers and Dan Lockhart.
Iowa, Tennessee and Kane County all notched wins Wednesday, while Daytona continued to scuffle. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (7-6)
T-2nd place (-2.5)
A three-run seventh inning and a strong start by RHP Kyle Hendricks led Iowa past New Orleans at home, 6-3, knotting the series at one win apiece.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (3-for-5) was a home run shy of the cycle, picking up two RBI on a go-ahead triple in the seventh.
- LF Josh Vitters (2-for-4) raised his season average to .293 with two RBI doubles.
- Hendricks’ eight punchouts launched him into a tie for third place in the PCL with 19 (teammate Carlos Pimentel leads the league with 21).
Tennessee Smokies (6-6)
4th Place (-1.5)
Rehabbing RHP Jake Arrieta and Tennessee earned a 7-2 win at home over the Generals with a five-run fourth inning.
- Arrieta allowed his first earned run since beginning his rehab stint with Tennessee. He is 1-1 with a 0.73 ERA (1 ER/12.1 IP), allowing six hits, four bases on balls and striking out nine.
- LF John Andreoli (1-for-4) knocked in three runs from the leadoff spot.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (1-for-4) recorded two RBI on his first hit of the season, a single in the fourth.
Daytona Cubs (2-11)
6th Place (-9.0)
Daytona fell at Dunedin, 5-1, failing to record a hit after the fourth inning.
- SS Marco Hernandez (2-for-3) reached base three times, including two singles and a walk, to raise his season average to .308.
- RHPs Michael Jensen (7.20) and Austin Reed (4.05) combined for 3.1 scoreless innings of relief, allowing just one hit and striking out three.
Kane County Cougars (10-3)
1st Place (+1.5)
Kane County completed the sweep at Bowling Green in dramatic fashion, notching five runs in the top of the ninth to win, 6-2.
- Kane County recorded one hit from each spot in the lineup, including four-consecutive RBI base hits in the ninth from 3B David Bote, 2B Danny Lockhart, DH Shawon Dunston and LF Trey Martin, the lineup’s six-nine hitters.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (1-for-3) stole his sixth and seventh bases, tied for fourth in the league.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (1-0, 4.76) earned the win with 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County took both games of its doubleheader, but Iowa and Daytona both came up short. Tennessee was rained out Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (6-6)
T-2nd place (-2.5)
The I-Cubs fell to New Orleans, 8-4. SS Logan Watkins was 1-for-3 with a walk. He had a two-run single in the club’s four-run second inning.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.333) was 2-for-3 with a run scored and a double (3). He has multihit efforts in three of his last five games.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel recorded a 1-2-3 first inning before New Orleans scored five runs in the second. The right-hander had issued just one walk in his previous two starts before allowing five last night. He also struck out five in the losing effort.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin (2.08) allowed one run in 3.1 relief innings, walking none and striking out three.
Daytona Cubs (2-10)
T-5th Place (-8.0)
Daytona lost to Dunedin, 10-3. The team had nine hits but was just 1-for-14 with runners in scoring position.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.310) paced Daytona with three hits, including two doubles (5). He has eight hits and four doubles in his last three games.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.289) was 2-for-4 with an RBI (7), while DH Rock Shoulders (.179) was 2-for-4 with two runs and a solo home run, his first of the year.
- RHP Starling Peralta (3.86) threw 2.2 scoreless innings of relief, striking out three and walking none.
Kane County Cougars (9-3)
1st Place (+1.0)
Kane County swept a doubleheader at Bowling Green, recording shutouts in both games. In the first, a 2-0 win, RHP Jen-Ho Tseng tossed 5.1 shutout innings. In Game Two, a 1-0 victory, RHP Paul Blackburn spun six shutout innings, allowing just one hit.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng earned his first win of the season, striking out six batters.
- RHP Zach Godley (3.60) picked up his second save of the season, throwing 1.2 scoreless innings. He allowed one hit and struck out four of the six batters he faced.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.391) was 1-for-2 with a sac fly, extending his hitting streak to nine games (.389/14-for-36). He’d go 0-for-2 with a walk in the second game to snap the streak.
- RHP Paul Blackburn walked one and struck out six to pick up the victory.
- RHP Jose Arias (1.69) tossed a scoreless seventh inning to pick up his first save.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.279) was 1-for-3 with an RBI (3).
Righty C.J. Edwards, acquired in the Matt Garza trade, has been lights out for Daytona. (Photo by Stephen Green)
The Cubs’ minor league affiliates went 3-3 Thursday, with Tennessee, Kane County and Boise all picking up victories. Smokies shortstop Javier Baez continues to crush the ball, top draft pick Kris Bryant is on a roll, and new acquisition C.J. Edwards has been nearly unhittable. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (58-68)
The visiting Sacramento River Cats recorded 12 hits in 9-1 victory over the Iowa Cubs.
- SS Edwin Maysonet (.225) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and his 10th double of the season.
- CF Julio Borbon (.294) was 1-for-3 with a double (1) and an RBI (1).
- RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.261) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to three games. He’s hitting .316 (18-for-57) in 14 August games.
Tennessee Smokies (32-20)
Tennessee won its fifth-straight game, beating visiting Chattanooga 4-3.
- SS Javier Baez (.288) went 2-for-4 and extended his hitting streak to five games with an eighth-inning solo home run. After posting a .228 batting average in July, Baez is hitting .397 (23-for-58) with eight doubles, two home runs and 14 RBI in August.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.269) went 1-for-4 and registered his league-leading 36th double of the season. He leads the Smokies with 204 total bases.
- 1B Justin Bour (.235) recorded his 10th multi-RBI effort, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI (52).
- RHP A.J. Morris (4-2, 5.18) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his fourth win of the campaign.
- RHP Frank Batista (2.67) converted his 16th save of the year with a scoreless ninth inning of work.
Daytona Cubs (28-18-1)
Clearwater scored three runs in the seventh inning to beat host Daytona 4-2.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.308) went 2-for-4 with one RBI (3). He’s hit safely in three of his first four games with Daytona.
- SS Elliot Soto (.223) snapped a three-game hitless skid, going 1-for-4 with an RBI (15).
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.250) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a double (1).
- RHP C.J. Edwards has not allowed more than two hits in any of his four starts with Daytona this season (14.2 IP). He has struck out 20 hitters compared to just five walks.
Kane County Cougars (19-32)
Kane County won despite recording just three hits, beating host Burlington 1-0.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.252) went 1-for-3 with a second-inning solo home run.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.255) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to four games.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (1-0, 0.00) recorded his first professional victory, tossing 3.0 scoreless innings of relief and fanning four.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (2.94) converted his sixth save of the year with a perfect ninth inning of work.
Boise Hawks (13-8)
Boise won for the eighth time in nine games, beating visiting Eugene 8-3.
- C Lance Rymel (.254) went 1-for-4 with a third-inning two-run homer.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.253) extended his hitting streak to a season-high 10 games, going 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored and a double (12). He’s hitting .432 (16-for-37) during the streak.
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.344) went 1-for-3 with two walks, a run scored, two RBI (16) and a stolen base (6).
- RHP Dillon Maples won his fifth-straight start while punching out a season-high nine hitters. He hasn’t surrendered a home run in 28.0 innings with Boise.
Mesa Cubs (9-8)
Mesa couldn’t keep pace with the AZL Padres, as it dropped a 9-7 decision on the road.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.286) went 1-for-2 with three walks, two runs scored, a double (3) and one stolen base (2) in the sixth game of a rehabilitation assignment.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.286) and C Erick Castillo (.270) each recorded two hits apiece.
- 3B Greg Rohan (.286) reached base four times, going 2-for-3 with two walks and two RBI (4).
Steve Clevenger has hit safely in seven of eight rehabilitation games with the I-Cubs. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Daytona and Kane County both captured wins with sizable leads Thursday while Iowa and Tennessee fell short in narrow setbacks. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (30-36)
Iowa rallied from a 8-4 deficit in the eighth inning to tie the game, but fell in walk-off fashion at Oklahoma City, 9-8 in 12 innings.
- DF Dave Sappelt (.246) went 2-for-6 with a double (4), home run, two runs scored and four RBI (21).
- C Steve Clevenger (.333) went 2-for-5 with a double (5), run scored and RBI (5) in the eighth game of his rehabilitation assignment. He has hit safely in seven of eight games (10-for-30).
- SS Donnie Murphy (.262) extended his hitting streak to four games (.368/7-for-19), going 3-for-6 with two RBI (15).
Tennessee Smokies (32-33)
Tennessee lost for the seventh time in eight games, falling 3-2 vs. Mississippi.
- CF Rubi Silva (.262) went 2-for-4 with a double (13).
- PH-LF Matt Szczur (.289) and 3B Jonathan Mota (.228) collected RBI for the Smokies.
- Alberto Cabrera threw seven innings, tying his season-high.
Daytona Cubs (33-30)
Daytona collected 10 hits and five doubles in a 5-1 victory over visiting Fort Myers.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.291) went 2-for-4 with a double (16) and run scored.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.216) collected his fourth multihit outing in his last seven games, going 2-for-3 with a double (4), run scored and stolen base (20).
- DH Chadd Krist went 1-for-4 with a two-run double.
Kane County Cougars (29-34)
Kane County snapped a three-game losing skid, defeating Burlington, 4-1.
- CF Albert Almora (.430) extended his hitting streak to 11 games (.426/20-for-47), going 3-for-4 with a double (8), triple (1), run scored and three RBI (11).
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.327) went 1-for-2 with two walks and two runs scored. He has hit safely in seven straight games (.400/10-for-25).
- Tayler Scott allowed only two hits in a season-long 7.2 innings of work.
Brian Bogusevic recorded two homers Wednesday with Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa captured its fourth win in the last five outings while Daytona fell in both games of a doubleheader Wednesday. Tennessee had the day off and Kane County was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (30-35)
Iowa won for the fourth time in five games, defeating host Oklahoma City, 5-1.
- RF Brian Bogusevic (.324) recorded his first two-homer game of the season, going 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored, a season-high four RBI (28) and a stolen base (15).
- 3B Junior Lake (.433) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a stolen base (4), extending his hitting streak to five games (.476/10-for-21).
- Chris Rusin posted his longest scoreless appearance of the season.
Daytona Cubs (32-30)
Game 1: Daytona allowed five runs in the fourth inning, falling 6-3 to Fort Myers in the first game of a doubleheader.
- RF Jorge Soler (.282) went 2-for-4 with a double (13) and a run scored.
- C Chadd Krist (.269) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a home run, a run scored and a RBI (13).
Game 2: Daytona scored four runs in the final three frames, but could not complete the comeback, losing 5-4 in the nightcap.
- LF John Andreoli (.319) went 3-for-5 with two doubles (8), a run scored and a RBI (21).
- DH Zeke DeVoss (.231) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a home run, a run scored and two RBI (27).
- 2B Wes Darvill (.242) walked a season-high three times in four plate appearances and scored a run.
- Yesterday, the Florida State League added LHP Frank Del Valle to the All-Star team. INF Javier Baez and INF Dustin Geiger were selected to participate in the Home Run Derby.
Smokies pitcher Kyle Hendricks was named the Southern League’s pitcher of the week. (Photo by Matthew Shalbrack/Tennessee Smokies)
Iowa, Tennessee and Kane County all tallied a loss Tuesday while Daytona rescheduled its game against Fort Myers for a doubleheader tonight. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (29-35)
Iowa allowed three unearned runs in an 8-5 loss at Oklahoma City, snapping a four-game winning streak.
- CF Brett Jackson (.236) extended his hitting streak to three games (.333/4-for-12), going 1-for-4 with a walk and a solo home run.
- 3B Ian Stewart (.168) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a homer and two runs scored.
- C Steve Clevenger (.320) went 1-for-5 with a run scored in the seventh game of a rehabilitation assignment. He has hit safely in six of seven games.
Tennessee Smokies (32-32)
Tennessee lost for the sixth time in seven games, falling 3-2 at Mobile.
- CF Matt Szczur (.288) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI (27). He is hitting .325 (13-for-40) with six runs and four RBI in 11 June contests.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.234) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.423/11-for-26), going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Tony Zych (1.1 IP, H, 2 K) recorded his sixth consecutive scoreless relief appearance (8 IP).
- On Monday, RHP Kyle Hendricks was named Southern League Pitcher of the Week for the week of June 3-9. He went 1-0 with a 0.69 ERA (1 ER/13.0 IP) in two starts during the span, allowing 11 hits while striking out 13.
Kane County Cougars (28-34)
Kane County collected 13 hits, but fell to visiting Burlington 7-6. Every starter for the Cougars recorded a base hit.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.278) went 3-for-5 with two doubles (20), a run scored and a RBI (23). He is hitting .429 (18-for-42) with two homers and six RBI in 10 June contests.
- C Willson Contreras (.241) homered for the first time since May 14, going 2-for-4 with a home run, two runs scored and three RBI (24).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.263) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.360/9-for-25), going 2-for-4. He has 12 multi-hit affairs this season.
- RHP Shawn Camp (IP, H) recorded a scoreless inning of relief in his first rehab outing with Kane County.
Smokies RHP Trey McNutt is holding right-handed hitters to a .220 average. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa captured a four-game win streak and Javier Baez’s home run blasts led Daytona to victory, while Tennessee lost in walk-off fashion and Kane County fell after an early setback. Here are some highlights from Monday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (29-34)
Iowa won its fourth straight game, defeating host Oklahoma City 7-6.
- DH Brad Nelson (.282) recorded his second straight, multi-homer game, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored, two home runs and two RBI (41). All 12 of his homers have come against right-handed pitchers (.338/50-for-148).
- 2B Logan Watkins (.242) went 2-for-5 with a double and two RBI (18).
- 3B Junior Lake (.435) went 1-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (5) and one stolen base (3). He’s hit safely in five of his first six games with Iowa.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (2.25) converted his second save despite allowing a run in the ninth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (32-31)
Tennessee fell in walk-off fashion for the second time in three games, dropping a 4-3 decision at Mobile.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.290) recorded his 17th multi-hit game of the campaign, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- C Rafael Lopez (.271) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a season-high two doubles (14). He’s hit safely in five of his last six contests.
- RHP Trey McNutt (4.44) struck out two while tossing 1.2 scoreless innings of relief. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .220 batting average (13-for-59) with 14 strikeouts.
Daytona Cubs (32-28)
Javier Baez became the second player in the 94-year history of the Florida State League to hit four home runs in one game, as the Cubs defeated visiting Fort Meyers 9-6.
- Baez (.291) finished 4-for-4 with four runs scored, the four home runs and a career-high seven RBI (44).
- 2B Tim Saunders (.210) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 1-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored.
- LF John Andreoli (.316) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and one RBI (20). He’s hitting .352 (56-for-159) with 19 RBI against right-handed pitchers.
- LHP Frank Del Valle (2.70) recorded the final two outs, converting his fourth save of the season.
Kane County Cougars (28-33)
Cedar Rapids used a four-run, fifth inning to race past Kane County 6-2.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.260) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (12).
- LF Oliver Zapata (.270) recorded his third multi-hit game in his last four contests, going 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- LHP Lendy Castillo (7.05) struck out four while allowing a run on three hits in 3.1 innings of relief.
I-Cubs third baseman Junior Lake recorded his second-straight, three-hit outing Sunday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
While Kane County was unable to overcome an early run deficit Sunday, Iowa and Tennessee picked up a win and Daytona swept its doubleheader. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (28-34)
Iowa won its third straight game, defeating visiting Round Rock, 10-7.
- DH Brad Nelson (.277) recorded his second multi-homer game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a walk, three runs scored, two home runs and a team-high three RBI (39).
- CF Brett Jackson (.236) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a season-high three runs scored, a home run, one RBI (20) and one stolen base (7).
- 3B Junior Lake (.500) registered his second straight, three-hit affair, going 3-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (4) and one RBI (2).
- 2B Logan Watkins (.238) and C Steve Clevenger (.350) added two hits apiece. Clevenger has hit safely in five of his six games as part of a rehabilitation assignment.
- RHP Eduardo Sanchez (6.35) and RHP Michael Bowden (5.06) combined to toss four scoreless innings of relief. Bowden converted his first save of the season.
Tennessee Smokies (32-30)
Tennessee snapped its four-game losing streak, beating host Mobile 5-3 in 11 innings.
- RF Rubi Silva (.262) went 1-for-4 with a home run and one RBI (27). He’s hitting .303 (20-for-66) against southpaws this season.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.226) recorded a team-high three hits, going 3-for-5 with a run scored, a double (6), a home run and one RBI (17).
- LF Ty Wright (.254) went 2-for-2 with a double (8) and one RBI (17).
- RHP Frank Batista (2-2, 1.86) threw a season-high 3.2 innings of relief, allowing one run on four hits while walking two and fanning two.
Daytona Cubs (31-28)
Game 1: Daytona stole six bases in an 8-2 victory vs. Brevard County in the first game of a doubleheader.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.302) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, a home run and three RBI (52).
- 2B Tim Saunders (.208) recorded his third-straight, multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a walk, three runs scored, a double (3), one RBI (14) and two stolen bases (19).
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (2.86) tossed two scoreless innings of relief, preserving the victory.
Game 2: Daytona completed the doubleheader sweep of Brevard County, beating the Manatees 3-2. The Cubs stole 10 bases in the doubleheader.
- LF John Andreoli (.316) recorded his 18th multi-hit game of the campaign, going 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a stolen base (19).
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.226) went 1-for-2 with a walk, a run scored, a double (4), one RBI (23) and one stolen base (13).
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa (1-3, 5.08) earned his first win of the season, tossing two scoreless innings of relief while fanning four.
Kane County Cougars (28-32)
Cedar Rapids used a four-run, fifth inning to race past the Cougars, 8-4.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.277) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (13), a home run and two RBI (42).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.258) went 1-for-4, clubbing his second home run of the campaign.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.326) and CF Albert Almora (.433) collected two hits apiece.
- RHP Justin Amlung (4.81) and LHP Nathan Dorris (2.33) combined for 4.0-scoreless innings of relief.