Results tagged ‘ Cubs Minor League Recap ’
Iowa captured a win in New Orleans, and Tennessee was victorious in its home opener Friday. South Bend was on the losing end of a one-run contest, while Myrtle Beach was rained out. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (4-3)
Third Place (-1.5)
Third baseman Kris Bryant (.321) crushed his third homer of the season and drove in his 10th RBI, helping the I-Cubs to a 10-7 victory at New Orleans. The second game of the doubleheader was rained out.
- 2B Addison Russell (.355) went 3-for-4 with a double, three RBI and two runs scored. He has brought in a run in three of the last four games.
- CF Junior Lake (.250) went 2-for-2 with a double and a run scored.
- RF Rubi Silva (.263) went 2-for-4 with a sixth inning, run-scoring double.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.500) went 2-for-3, driving in a run and scoring twice. He is 7-for-12 with four runs in his last four games.
Tennessee Smokies (4-2)
Second Place (-1.0)
Tennessee topped Pensacola 5-4 in its home opener. Three Smokies players had multi-hit games.
- C Willson Contreras (.500) went 2-for-4 with a double and scored once. This is his third consecutive multi-hit game.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.389) went 2-for-4 with an RBI, a stolen base and a run scored.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.476) went 2-for-3, walked once and scored once. He is 7-for-11 with three runs
in his last three appearances.
- RHP Michael Jensen (0.00) earned the win, pitching 2.0 shutout innings, giving up two hits and
fanning two batters.
South Bend Cubs (3-5)
Sixth Place (-4.0)
South Bend got out to an early lead with a two-run homer from 3B Jesse Hodges (.207) in the second inning, but Fort Wayne rallied in the eighth, topping the Cubs 7-6 in extras.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.423) had his third multi-hit game of the season, walked once and scored twice. He has a four-game hitting streak.
- 2B Jason Vosler (.304) went 2-for-4, hit a double and scored once.
- LF Charcer Burks (.296) went 3-for-4 and plated one.
- CF Trey Martin (.290) had his third consecutive multi-hit game.
- RHP Jeremy Null (1.64) tossed a quality start, giving up two earned runs off seven hits and fanning six batters.
Pitching powered Tennessee to a victory, the bats came alive in Myrtle Beach’s organizational debut, and South Bend captured a win in walk-off fashion in its first game with the Cubs on Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (0-1)
T-Third Place (-1.0)
Iowa scored four runs in the third inning, but could not hold on to the lead as it fell 7-4 at Memphis in the season opener.
- SS Addison Russell (.500) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI.
- 1B Mike Baxter (.500) also added two hits and a run scored.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.250) went 1-for-4 with an RBI, a run scored and a stolen base.
- RHP Gonzalez Germen (0.00) walked one and struck out one in a scoreless inning of work.
Tennessee Smokies (1-0)
T-First Place (–)
The Smokies kicked off their 2015 campaign with a 7-2 win over host Mississippi.
- RHP Corey Black pitched five innings, giving up one earned run on four hits and three walks. He struck out four.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.333) went 1-for-3 with two walks, a triple (1), two runs scored and an RBI.
- SS Elliot Soto (.250) and LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.250) each doubled and scored a run. Chen also added an RBI.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.250) went 1-for-4 with a triple and a run scored.
- RHP C.J. Edwards (3.86) allowed one run on two hits in 2.1 innings of relief. He struck out two batters.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (1-0)
T-First Place (–)
Myrtle Beach collected nine runs and 15 hits as they rolled over Wilmington 9-1 in their first game as a Cubs affiliate.
- RHP Duane Underwood pitched five scoreless innings to pick up the win. He surrendered four hits and struck out five.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.750) fell a triple shy of the cycle as he went 3-for-4 with a double, a home run, two runs scored and two RBI.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.600) and SS Carlos Penalver (.750) each collected three hits and scored a run.
- DH Shawon Dunston (.333) and 2B Daniel Lockhart (.500) each tripled in the victory.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (1.0 IP), RHP James Pugliese (2.0 IP) and RHP Starling Peralta (1.0 IP) combined to allow just four hits and no runs in four innings of relief.
South Bend Cubs (1-0)
First Place (+0.5)
First baseman Cael Brockmeyer hit a walk-off home run in the ninth inning to lift South Bend to a 2-1 victory over Bowling Green in their first game as a Cubs affiliate.
- RHP Jake Stinnett gave up one run over five innings and struck out four in the no-decision.
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.750) went 3-for-4 with the walk-off homer, two doubles, one run and one RBI.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.250) started the scoring with a solo home run in the second inning.
- RHP James Farris (0.00) collected the win as he tossed two scoreless innings with four strikeouts.
Mesa scored all their runs in one inning in a 7-5 victory over Scottsdale Wednesday. Here are some Cubs notes from yesterday’s Arizona Fall League action:
- 1B Dan Vogelbach finished 0-for-3 with a walk and an RBI. He drew his walk in the second inning and swiped second base, his first stolen base of the fall. The slugger drove in Cal Towey (Angels) on a sac fly in the sixth.
- RF Bijan Rademacher finished 0-for-4, but recorded a big outfield assist in the eighth inning.
Cubs right-hander Armando Rivero is scheduled to start for Mesa Thursday, as the Solar Sox host Scottsdale. First pitch is at 12:35 local time.
Kane County’s solid play throughout the season was rewarded Saturday, when the Cougars topped Lake County to win the Midwest League title. Here are some highlights from Saturday’s championship-clinching victory.
Kane County Cougars
First Half (45-25, 1st Place, +6.5)
Second Half (46-24, 1st Place, +4.0)
Kane County won the Midwest League title, and went 7-0 in the postseason, thanks to Saturday’s 7-2 victory over Lake County to complete a three-game sweep. Add that to their 91-49 regular-season record, and the Cougars finished the campaign 98-49 (.666).
- RHP Daury Torrez gave up one earned run over five innings, striking out three to earn the win.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.259) belted his second homer of the postseason and finished the game 3-for-4 with two runs, three RBI and a walk.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.429) added three hits, one RBI and two runs scored.
- LHP Michael Heesch (1.35) appeared in relief of Torrez and allowed one run in three innings to pick up the hold.
- RHP Francisco Carrillo finished the game with a scoreless ninth.
Kane County jumped out to a 2-0 series lead with a dominant pitching performance Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s game:
Kane County Cougars
Midwest League Championship
Kane County leads best-of-five series 2-0
The Cougars held Lake County to just two hits for a 6-0 victory in Game 2 of the best-of-five MWL Championship Series. Kane County can clinch the title with a win tomorrow night at Lake County.
- DH Mark Zagunis (.435) registered a game-high three hits, going 3-for-5 with a run scored, a double (1) and one stolen base (1).
- LF Shawon Dunston (.348) went 2-for-3 with three runs scored, a walk, one RBI (2) and two stolen bases (7).
- RHP Duane Underwood recorded the win after holding Lake County hitless in six innings of work. He struck out eight.
- LHP Tyler Ihrig came on in relief and surrendered two hits while striking out four in three scoreless innings of relief to earn his second save of the postseason.
Daytona’s season came to a close with a loss in extra innings Monday while Kane County had the night off before its championship series against Lake County. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Daytona loses series 3-1
Fort Myers’ Jason Kanzler hit a two-run homer in the 11th inning to break a 2-2 tie, lifting the Miracle to their first FSL title in its 22-year history. With the setback, the Daytona Cubs lost their first postseason series in team history.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.250) and 1B Dan Vogelbach (.273) each recorded a double.
- DH Kyle Schwarber (.174), 2B Gioskar Amaya (.385) and LF Bijan Rademacher (.391) had a hit.
- RHP Jose Rosario (0.00) struck out five hitters while walking four in four scoreless innings of relief.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (1-1, 3.38) suffered the loss, allowing two runs on three hits in three innings of work.
Kane County advanced to the championship series while Daytona suffered a setback in the first game of its championship series Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
FSL Championship Series
Daytona trails series 0-1
Daytona dropped Game 1 of the FSL Championship, falling at Fort Myers, 5-1.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.800) went a perfect 3-for-3 with a run scored.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.462) went 2-for-4 with a double (3) and one RBI (1).
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (0.00) tossed a scoreless eighth inning.
Kane County Cougars
Kane County wins series 2-0
3B Jeimer Candelario ripped a walk-off, RBI single in the bottom of the 13th inning to help Kane County sweep Wisconsin in the first round of the MWL playoff series, 4-3.
- Rehabbing 3B Mike Olt (.571) homered for the second-straight game, going 2-for-4 with an eighth-inning, two-run homer.
- Candelario (.600) finished 3-for-4 with two walks, a run scored, a double (1) and two RBI (2).
- LF Shawon Dunston (.375) and CF Trey Martin (.500) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Francisco Carrillo (1-0, 0.00) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn the win.
Daytona advanced to the FSL Championship Series with a win, and Kane County picked up a victory in their playoff opener. Boise’s season came to an end Wednesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
FSL North Championship
Daytona wins series 2-0
For the fourth time in the last six years, the Daytona Cubs were crowned the Florida State League North Champions. The Cubs scored eight runs in the first two innings to beat host Dunedin, 9-4. Game 1 of the FSL Championship against Fort Myers will take place tonight at JetBlue Park.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.714) went 2-for-4 with a first-inning, two-run homer.
- DH Kyle Schwarber (.200) went 1-for-5 with two RBI. He recorded six RBI in two games this series.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.400) and 2B Gioskar Amaya (.444) had three hits apiece while combining to score five runs.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.444) went 2-for-4 with a game-high three RBI (5).
- LHP Nathan Dorris (1-0, 0.00) tossed three scoreless innings of relief to earn the win.
Kane County Cougars
MWL Playoffs Series
Kane County leads series 1-0
Kane County recorded 13 hits in a 7-3 victory over host Wisconsin in Game 1 of the MWL Playoffs.
- Rehabbing 3B Mike Olt (.667) went 2-for-3 with a fifth-inning, three-run homer.
- DH Mark Zagunis (.600) went 3-for-5 with a run scored.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.500) and CF Trey Martin (.500) had two hits apiece.
- LHP Tyler Ihrig (3.00) allowed a run on four hits while fanning four in three innings of relief to earn the save.
NWL East Divisional Series
Boise loses series 0-2
Boise’s season came to an end with a 5-2 loss at Hillsboro in Game 2 of the Northwest League playoffs.
- DH Justin Marra (.125) went 1-for-4 with a second-inning, two-run homer.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.429) had a game-high three hits, going 3-for-4 with a double (1).
- RHP James Farris (0.00) struck out three in two scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona cruised in its first playoff game, but Boise put itself in an early series hole with a loss. Kane County had the night off and will start postseason play today. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
FSL North Championship
Daytona leads series 1-0
DH Kyle Schwarber hit a two-out grand slam in the fourth inning, helping Daytona to an 11-1 victory over visiting Dunedin in Game 1 of the FSL North Championship.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny picked up the win, giving up one earned run over six innings.
- Schwarber finished 1-for-5 with the blast.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach also homered, adding a double (1) to finish 2-for-5 with two RBI (2).
- LF Bijan Rademacher went a perfect 3-for-3 with a double (1) and three RBI (3).
- C Wilson Contreras singled three times and scored three runs.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya and RF Billy McKinney each added one of Daytona’s four doubles in the rout.
NWL Divisional Series
Boise trails series 1-0
Boise surrendered a one-run lead to lose to Hillsboro, 5-2, at home in Game 1 of the Northwest League Divisional Series.
- RHP Jake Stinnett gave up one earned run over five innings, fanning eight.
- 1B Alex Tomasovich led off the third with a solo homer to tie the game, logging the lone Hawks extra-base hit.
- 2B Bryant Flete (.250), LF Kevin Brown (.250), C-1B Daniel Canela (.250) and SS Gleyber Torres (.333) each singled.
- Boise committed four errors, contributing to two unearned Hops runs.
All six minor league affiliates wrapped up their regular seasons this weekend, with Daytona, Kane County and Boise all qualifying for postseason play. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (74-70)
T-2nd Place (-2.5)
Iowa finished the season with a five-game winning streak, routing Oklahoma City at home yesterday, 11-1.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee finished the season by extending his scoreless innings streak to 13.1 innings in his second-straight win, and tying a career-high with 11 strikeouts (also done Aug. 19, 2011, with Daytona).
- RF Ryan Kalish (.251) tied a career high with four hits (last done June 9, 2012, with Pawtucket of the International League), scoring twice, doubling (14) and driving in two (37).
- C Eli Whiteside (.214) went 3-for-5 with two doubles (13) and a season-high three RBI (21).
- SS Elliot Soto (.241) also went 3-for-5 with a double (4).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.286) singled twice.
- DH Kris Bryant (.295) singled and drove in his 52nd run since joining Iowa. He finished the season with a .325 average, a minor-league best 43 home runs, and 110 RBI between Tennessee and Iowa.
Tennessee Smokies (33-37)
2nd Place (-3.0)
The Smokies wrapped up the season with a 5-1 loss to host Chattanooga.
- SS Addison Russell (.294) recorded his 18th multihit game, including his 11th double.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.232) singled twice from the leadoff spot.
- C Charles Cutler (.310) tallied his 14th double and walked twice.
- The Smokies were 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position, and left 11 runners on base.
Daytona Cubs (41-27)
1st Place (+3.5)
After finishing the regular season on Sunday, the Cubs had a day off before Game 1 of the FSL North Championship tonight vs. Dunedin.
Kane County Cougars (45-27)
1st Place (+3.5)
Kane County dropped a 12-inning contest, 6-5, at home against Peoria. The Cougars finished with a franchise-best 91-49 record on the season.
- C Mark Zagunis (.280) went 2-for-4 with two walks, a double (6) and a stolen base (5) from the leadoff spot.
- Three other Cougars—DH Chesny Young (.324), RF Yasiel Balaguert (.252) and 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.297)—had two hits apiece. Balaguert finished with a seven-game hitting streak (.393/11-for-28).
- RHP Michael Wagner (3.23) allowed three runs (two earned) over two innings to suffer his second blown save.
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (3-1, 0.87) allowed just his second earned run of the season (20.2 IP) in 2.1 frames, ending up with his first loss.
Boise Hawks (19-19)
3rd Place (-7.0)
Boise overcame a three-run deficit in the ninth, topping Salem-Keizer, 6-5, on a walk-off single from 2B Jason Vosler.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.393) went 3-for-5 with a run, a double (2), a triple (3) and two RBI (4). He has 11 hits, two doubles and three triples in seven games since joining Boise.
- 1B Alex Tomasovich (.311) singled twice and scored a run.
- PH Justin Marra (.279) doubled to improve to 4-for-5 as a pinch-hitter.
- RF-LHP Charlie White (2-0, 2.25) earned his second win in as many career appearances as a pitcher, allowing one earned run in the ninth before helping the offense with a walk in the bottom of the frame.
Mesa Cubs (9-19)
5th Place (-11.0)
Mesa finished the regular season with a 22-34 overall record.