Results tagged ‘ Cubs Minor League Recap ’
Daytona continued its hot streak with another win Tuesday, while Kane County padded its lead in the Midwest League’s Western Division. Tennessee dropped an extra-inning game, and Iowa was rained out. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (26-25)
2nd Place (-8.5)
Tennessee reliever Austin Kirk walked in the winning run in the bottom of the 10th inning in a 2-1 loss at Huntsville.
- RHP Corey Black struck out six, gave up three hits and allowed no earned runs over 5.1 innings.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.335) went 0-for-1 with a run scored and a season-high four walks. He’s hitting .387 (36-for-93) with 25 runs, five doubles, nine home runs and 31 RBI in 25 May games.
- C Rafael Lopez (.321), 1B Dustin Geiger (.229) and 2B Wes Darvill (.221) recorded two hits apiece.
- RHPs Tony Zych (5.91) and Lendy Castillo (4.50) combined to toss 2.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (20-29)
5th Place (-15.0)
Daytona won for the fourth time in five games, beating visiting Palm Beach, 8-4.
- RHP Tayler Scott picked up the win, giving up two earned runs and fanning three.
- CF Albert Almora (.271) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and a game-high three RBI (24).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.284), 1B Dan Vogelbach (.260), DH Willson Contreras (.256) and C Lance Rymel (.500) recorded two hits apiece.
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (1.04) struck out four in 2.2 scoreless innings of relief to earn his fourth save.
Kane County Cougars (35-17)
1st Place (+7.5)
Kane County won its third straight game, beating visiting Peoria, 5-4.
- RHP Duane Underwood gave up two runs in six innings, striking out two.
- LF Trey Martin (.190) belted Kane County’s first grand slam of the year in the seventh inning.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.223) posted his 11th multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Michael Wagner (1-1, 5.84) allowed a run in 1.1 innings of relief to earn his first win of the year.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (3.18) scattered two hits, fanned three and allowed one run in 1.2 innings to earn his third save.
Iowa set a season high for runs scored in a win, and Kane County earned another victory courtesy a walk-off homer in the 11th inning Monday. Tennessee gave up a late lead, while Daytona had the day off. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (27-21)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa pounded out a season-high 12 runs on 17 hits, beating visiting Memphis, 12-3.
- LHP Eric Jokisch set down 11 of the first 12 hitters he faced before allowing his lone earned run in the fifth. He’s 2-0 with a 1.17 ERA (2 ER/15.1 IP) in his last two starts. Jokisch also went 2-for-3 with a run, a double (1) and two RBI (2) at the dish.
- SS Javier Baez (.225) extended his hitting streak to 11 games, going 3-for-4 with two runs, two doubles (9), three RBI (25) and one stolen base (4). He’s hitting .422 (19-for-45) with eight doubles, four home runs and 14 RBI during the streak. Baez has recorded seven RBI in his last two games.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.281) reached base five times, going a perfect 4-for-4 with four runs scored, a walk, a double (14), a triple (6), two RBI (25) and one stolen base (10).
- 1B Chris Valaika (.312) posted Iowa’s other four-hit game, going 4-for-4 with two RBI (26).
- Javier Baez was named the Pacific Coast League’s Player of the Week for the week of May 19-25. He is the first Cubs position player to win the award since Welington Castillo from June 13-19, 2011. Baez batted .400 (12-for-30) with six doubles, and tied for the PCL lead with three homers and eight RBI to earn the honor.
Tennessee Smokies (26-24)
2nd Place (-7.5)
Huntsville scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to sneak past Tennessee, 5-4.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.337) went 2-for-3 and clubbed his Southern League-leading 14th homer of the season. He’s hitting .391 (36-for-92) with 25 runs, five doubles, nine home runs and 31 RBI in just 24 May games.
- RHP Joel Pineiro turned in his first quality start of the season with Tennessee. Opponents are just 2-for-12 (.167) against him with runners in scoring position and two outs.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (6.75) struck out two hitters over 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (34-17)
1st Place (+6.5)
3B Jordan Hankins clubbed a pinch-hit solo home run in the bottom of the 11th inning to lift Kane County over Peoria, 5-4.
- RHP Justin Amlung gave up one earned run over five innings, fanning four.
- Hankins (.287) extended his hitting streak to four games (.545/6-for-11) with the walk-off homer.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.243) went 2-for-5 with a second-inning solo home run.
- RHP James Pugliese (0.89) allowed just two hits in three scoreless innings of relief. He owns a 0.64 ERA (1 ER/14.0 IP) in eight May relief appearances.
- RHP Jose Arias (1-1, 1.93) allowed one run over 1.2 innings of relief to earn his first win of the season.
Iowa racked up four home runs on its way to a win, Daytona’s pitching was on in a victory and Kane County picked up its 30th win of the season with a win Wednesday. Meanwhile, Tennessee was outslugged in a loss. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (23-20)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Iowa hit four home runs in a 6-2 victory at Round Rock.
- LHP Eric Jokisch pitched seven innings, giving up one earned run and striking out seven to pick up his third win of the season.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.243) recorded his first multi-homer game of the year, going 2-for-4 with two home runs and tied a season high with his three RBI (15).
- SS Javier Baez (.178) extended his hitting streak to six games (.348/8-for-23) with an eighth-inning, solo home run.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara’s (.270) fourth blast of the season was the first leadoff homer by an Iowa Cub since Darnell McDonald turned the trick on August 5 of last year at Tacoma.
- DH Justin Ruggiano (.182) went 0-for-4 in the third game of his major league rehab assignment.
- RHP Frank Batista (9.00) recorded the final two outs of the contest to earn his first save with Iowa.
Tennessee Smokies (24-21)
2nd Place (-6.5)
Mobile first baseman Jon Griffin tied a Southern League record by clubbing four home runs (7 RBI), as he helped the BayBears rout the Smokies, 17-7.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.323) blasted his Southern League-leading 12th homer with a first-inning, solo shot.
- SS Wes Darvill (.232) went 1-for-3 with a ninth-inning, two-run homer.
- C Rafael Lopez (.304) recorded Tennessee’s lone multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a double (12).
Daytona Cubs (16-26)
5th Place (-14.5)
Daytona limited host Bradenton to just five hits in a 4-2 victory.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.287) went 2-for-4 with a double (5), a home run and three RBI (17).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.310) recorded his seventh, three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with a double (3) and one RBI (9).
- C Willson Contreras (.208) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and his second double of the year.
- RHP Trevor Graham (1-0, 0.00) tossed 3.2 scoreless innings of relief while fanning four to earn the win.
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (1.31) worked 1.1 innings to earn his third save of the season.
Kane County Cougars (30-16)
1st Place (+3.5)
Kane County won its Midwest League-leading 30th game, beating host Wisconsin, 8-2.
- RHP Duane Underwood picked up the win, giving up no earned runs on two hits while fanning five over five innings.
- DH Ben Carhart (.275) went 3-for-4 with two runs, a walk, a double (10) and one RBI (17).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.214), SS Carlos Penalver (.241) and RF Yasiel Balaguert (.237) all recorded two hits apiece.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.248) went 2-for-3 with a run scored, two doubles (9) and two RBI (13).
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.25) struck out four hitters over two scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County managed a win in the second game of a doubleheader, Iowa lost in walk-off fashion, and Daytona’s offensive woes continued in a shutout loss. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (22-20)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Iowa fell 2-1 on a walk-off homer by former I-Cub outfielder Brad Snyder.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel gave up two hits and struck out six over six innings for the Cubs.
- Iowa’s offense scattered 11 hits over seven innings, but went just 1-for-6 with RISP, left eight on base, and grounded into four double plays.
- SS Javier Baez (.176) doubled twice (4) and has now recorded a hit in five straight games.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.271) and 3B Christian Villanueva (.236) added two hits apiece.
- C Luis Flores (.327) went 1-for-4 with a fifth-inning solo home run.
- RF Justin Ruggiano (.286) went 0-for-4 in his second game as part of his rehab assignment.
Daytona Cubs (15-26)
5th Place (-14.5)
Daytona was shut out for the sixth time this season, falling 3-0 to host Bradenton.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny pitched two scoreless innings, striking out two.
- All five of Daytona’s hits were singles: two from RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.277) and one each from 3B Jeimer Candelario (.179), C Chadd Krist (.228) and 1B Rock Shoulders (.214).
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (5.95) allowed a run on one hit over three innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (29-16)
1st Place (+2.5)
In the first game of a doubleheader at Wisconsin, Kane County fell behind early and suffered an 11-1 loss.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.214) and 3B Ben Carhart (.260) each singled twice.
- C Will Remillard (.347, 12 2B) and 2B David Bote (.247, 8 2B) each doubled.
The Cougars avoided a doubleheader sweep with a 1-0 victory over Wisconsin.
- RHP Justin Amlung gave up three hits and no runs over seven innings, striking out five.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.236) recorded Kane County’s only extra-base hit with a double in the fourth. He walked and stole second (12) to set up Carhart’s game-winning single in the ninth.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.325) was the only Cougar to record multiple hits, going 2-for-3 on the night.
- RHP James Pugliese (2-0, 1.10) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.
Tennessee and Daytona both secured wins, while Iowa couldn’t keep the offense going Monday. Meanwhile, Kane County was rained out. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (22-19)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa’s scoring stopped after a two-run first, and they fell at Round Rock, 4-2.
- SS Javier Baez (.165) hit in his fourth-straight game, ripping a double in the first inning.
- Rehabbing Cubs RF Justin Ruggiano (2-for-3) and DH Josh Vitters (.216) both singled twice.
- LHP Chris Rusin, PCL Pitcher of the Week for May 4-11, lost his sixth game, tied for the league lead. Teammate Kyle Hendricks became the second-consecutive I-Cub to win the award, taking the honors for the week of May 12-18.
Tennessee Smokies (24-20)
2nd Place (-5.5)
The Smokies snapped a four-game skid behind four hitless frames from starter Pierce Johnson. They beat host Mississippi, 3-1.
- RHP Johnson fanned two and walked two but gave up no hits or runs in four innings of work.
- Kris Bryant (.325) pinch-hit for Johnson in the fifth inning and hit a two-run double (11 2B, 36 RBI).
- LF John Andreoli (.275), RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.222) and SS Wes Darvill (.228) each added two singles apiece.
- Andreoli swiped his league-leading 23rd bag, and Bryant extended his lead in the RBI category to 36.
- RHP Tony Zych (1-2, 5.30) earned the win in relief, allowing one earned run over two innings.
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino earned his first hold with a scoreless seventh, maintaining his 0.00 ERA (5.0 IP).
- RHP Armando Rivero (1.85) recorded his eighth save with two scoreless frames.
Daytona Cubs (15-25)
5th Place (-14.5)
Daytona scored twice in the top of the eighth to beat the Miracle in Fort Myers, 4-2.
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang gave up one hit and fanned four over five innings.
- C Wilson Contreras (.191) ripped a two-run single with two outs in the eighth to give Daytona the lead.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.268) went 2-for-4 with a run, a walk, two doubles (11) and an RBI (15).
- CF Albert Almora (.279) went 2-for-5 at the plate and threw two runners out at home.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (1-0, 6.75) blew a save but ended up with the win.
- RHP Austin Reed earned his second save, tossing 1.1 innings without allowing a run.
Kyle Hendricks pitched another stellar game to lead Iowa to a win, while Tennessee and Kane County both ended up on the wrong side of the ledger. The Daytona Cubs home game against Charlotte was rained out. Here are some highlights from Thursday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (21-16)
T-1st Place (–)
Eight scoreless frames and 11 strikeouts from RHP Kyle Hendricks helped Iowa blank visiting Round Rock, 2-0.
- Hendricks’ eight innings and 11 punchouts both matched career-highs. He didn’t walk a runner for the first time since August 18 of last year at New Orleans.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.270) recorded his third game with multiple extra-base hits, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (12), a triple (5) and one run scored.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.209) and LF Josh Vitters (.215) each tallied an RBI single.
- RHP Blake Parker (0.00) earned his seventh save and is a perfect 7-for-7 in save opportunities. He has not allowed an earned run and has given up just seven hits and no walks in 9.1 innings this season.
Tennessee Smokies (23-17)
2nd Place (-3.5)
Rafael Lopez and Kris Bryant continued to rake, but Tennessee lost an 11-inning battle, falling at Mississippi, 6-5.
- C Rafael Lopez went 2-for-5 with a run, a walk, a homer, two RBI (20) and his first stolen base. He leads the league in average (.330) and OBP (.460) and ranks second in slugging percentage (.560) and OPS (1.020).
- The league-leader in slugging (.615) and OPS (1.037), 3B Kris Bryant, went 2-for-6 with a run and his 34th RBI, which also leads the league.
- LF John Andreoli (.281) went 2-for-4 with a run and two stolen bases, giving him a league-leading 20.
Daytona Cubs (12-24)
5th Place (-14.5)
Daytona’s home game against Charlotte was cancelled due to rain. The Cubs will resume play tonight at Fort Myers.
Kane County Cougars (26-14)
1st Place (+2.5)
The Cougars were blanked by Quad Cities at home, dropping their fourth in a row, 7-0.
- Kane County managed five singles: one each from SS Carlos Penalver (.240), DH Jordan Hankins (.289) and LF Shawon Dunston (.241), and two from 1B Jacob Rogers (.241).
- RHP Duane Underwood surrendered a grand slam and threw two wild pitches in a five-run third. None of the runs were earned.
A grand slam lifted Daytona to a win, but Kane County has hit a rough patch, falling for the third-straight game. Iowa was off Wednesday, while Tennessee was cancelled due to poor weather. Here are the headlines from yesterday’s minor league action.
Daytona Cubs (12-24)
5th Place (-14.0)
Daytona jumped ahead on a two-out, eighth-inning Tim Saunders grand slam to defeat Charlotte at home, 6-2.
- CF Albert Almora (.258) recorded his second-straight multihit effort (eighth of the season), going 2-for-4 with a run, a homer (2) and two RBI (18).
- 2B Tim Saunders (.248) finished the night 2-for-4 with a run, the grand slam, four RBI (15) and his 10th stolen base. His 10 steals rank fifth in the Florida State League.
- RHP Zach Godley (1-0, 0.00) earned the win in relief, spinning two scoreless frames with two strikeouts.
Kane County Cougars (26-13)
1st Place (+2.5)
Host Beloit completed the sweep over Kane County with a 2-1 victory. The Cougars have lost three straight games for the second time this season.
- Kane County managed just four hits, including two singles from C Cael Brockmeyer and a double from 1B Jacob Rogers. That was the team’s lone extra-base hit on the day.
- RHP Justin Amlung (2.17) retired all 10 batters he faced, striking out three in 3.1 perfect innings.
Tennessee rolled to a win, and Daytona snapped its lengthy losing streak. But Iowa’s bats were kept quiet, and Kane County lost a one-run game Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (20-16)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa managed just two hits in an 8-0 loss to visiting Nashville.
- RF Logan Watkins (.295) extended his hitting streak to seven games with a double (5) in the ninth inning. He’s batting .400 (8-for-20) during the stretch.
- LHP Chris Rusin (.364) recorded Iowa’s other hit, going 1-for-1. Cubs pitchers are hitting .545 with three RBI this season.
Tennessee Smokies (23-16)
2nd Place (-3.0)
Tennessee used a six-run third inning to roll past host Jackson, 10-7.
- Reigning Southern League Player of the Week Kris Bryant (.324) went 2-for-5 with a third-inning three-run homer. He’s hitting .396 (21-for-53) with 18 runs, six homers and 21 RBI in 13 May games.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.317) recorded his second four-hit game in his last four contests, going 4-for-5 with a run, a double (13), one triple (2) and two RBI (20).
- C Taylor Davis (.364) went 3-for-5 with two runs scored, two doubles (2), a triple (1) and two RBI (7).
- RHP Jose Veras (0.00) made his fourth appearance (first start) with the Smokies as part of a major league rehabilitation assignment, tossing a scoreless first inning. Veras has allowed just one hit in 4.2 innings with Tennessee.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (5-1, 1.16) picked up the win after allowing one run in 2.2 innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (11-24)
5th Place (-15.0)
Daytona snapped its seven-game losing streak, beating visiting Charlotte, 12-0.
- CF Albert Almora (.250) went 3-for-5 with a run, three doubles (10) and a season-high four RBI (16).
- LF Zeke DeVoss (.167) and SS Marco Hernandez (.313) both recorded multihit efforts.
- RHP Ben Wells picked up the win after fanning a career-high eight hitters. He gave up three hits and no runs over six innings.
- RHP Austin Reed (3.24) struck out three while tossing two scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (26-12)
1st Place (+4.0)
Kane County dropped its second-straight game, falling at Beloit, 3-2.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.245), 3B Jordan Hankins (.293) and 2B David Bote (.238) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Daury Torrez was dealt a no-decision despite tossing his fourth quality start of the season. He gave up three hits over six innings.
Iowa picked up a win in walk-off fashion with the help of the organization’s top prospect, but that’s all the success the club’s minor league squads had, as Tennessee, Daytona and Kane County all lost Monday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (20-15)
1st Place (+1.0)
SS Javier Baez hit a walk-off single in the 10th inning to lift Iowa over Nashville, 2-1.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada gave up one earned run over seven innings, striking out eight in a no-decision. Wada lowered his league-leading ERA to 1.22 (6 ER/44.1 IP). His 0.83 WHIP on the season is second-best in the Pacific Coast League.
- 1B Lars Anderson (.254) clubbed a ninth-inning solo homer to tie the game at 1-1.
- Baez (.153) finished the game 1-for-5 with his 11th RBI of the season.
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa (1-0, 1.86) earned the win by working a scoreless top of the ninth.
- LHP Chris Rusin was named the PCL’s Pitcher of the Week for the week of May 5-11 after tossing the league’s first no-hitter since 2009—and 145th all-time—on May 7 at New Orleans. He walked two and struck out three in his 118-pitch effort, limiting the Zephyrs to three base runners on the day.
Tennessee Smokies (22-16)
2nd Place (-4.0)
Host Jackson scored four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to sneak past Tennessee, 8-6.
- CF Rubi Silva (.279) posted his fourth-straight multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a second-inning solo homer. He’s hitting .579 (11-for-19) with eight RBI over the four-game stretch.
- C Rafael Lopez (.326) went 1-for-3 with a fourth-inning three-run homer, giving him five RBI over the last two contests.
- SS Jeudy Valdez (.250) went 2-for-4 with a double (5), a triple (1) and one RBI (13).
- 3B Kris Bryant was named the Southern League’s Hitter of the Week for May 5-12. Bryant batted .464 (13-for-28) in that span, and tallied 12 runs scored, a double, four homers and 14 RBI.
Daytona Cubs (10-24)
5th Place (-16.0)
Daytona lost its seventh-straight game, falling to visiting Charlotte, 11-5.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.307) went 1-for-4 with a first-inning solo home run.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.356) recorded his third, three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a walk, a double (10) and an RBI (16).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.305) went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
Kane County Cougars (26-11)
1st Place (+5.5)
Kane County managed just three hits in a 6-1 loss at Beloit.
- C Will Remillard (.366) went 1-for-3 with his 23rd RBI of the campaign.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.230) and LF Shawon Dunston (.247) recorded the other two Cougar hits.
- Kane County fell to 10-8 on the road this season. The Cougars own a league-best 16-3 record at home.
Iowa and Tennessee both claimed wins in wild fashion Sunday. The I-Cubs came back from eight runs down to earn a victory, while the Smokies game included 30 total runs. Daytona and Kane County both were off Sunday. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action.
Iowa Cubs (19-15)
1st Place (+1.0)
Iowa overcame an eight-run deficit, scoring the tying and go-ahead runs on a wild pitch in the eighth inning to knock of visiting Nashville, 12-11.
- LF Chris Valaika (.321) went 3-for-4 with a run, a walk and one RBI (17).
- 1B Lars Anderson (.250) reached base four times, going 2-for-3 with two runs, two walks and three RBI (11).
- C Eli Whiteside (.159) went 1-for-4 with a sixth-inning two-run homer.
- RF Logan Watkins (.293) was 1-for-1 with a walk, a run, a double (4) and three RBI (10).
- RHP Carlos Pimentel (5.23) allowed an unearned run on three hits while striking out six in four innings of relief.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (3-0, 4.30) worked a scoreless eighth frame to earn the victory.
- RHP Blake Parker (0.00) earned his sixth save of the season.
- Iowa’s last eight-run comeback was Sept. 1, 2010, when they erased a 9-1 deficit, scoring nine times in the ninth inning to win at Albuquerque, 15-13.
Tennessee Smokies (22-15)
2nd Place (-3.0)
- CF Rubi Silva (.272) finished a home run shy of the cycle, going 4-for-5 with two runs scored, two doubles (4), a triple (1) and a season-high five RBI (22).
- RF Jorge Soler (.412) went 2-for-5 with a walk, two runs scored, two doubles (6) and a season-high four RBI (7). He’s hitting .375 (6-for-16) with six doubles and seven RBI since coming off the disabled list on May 8.
- DH Kris Bryant (.331) posted his third three-hit game in his last five, going 3-for-5 with three runs and three RBI (29). He’s hitting .432 (19-for-44) with five home runs and 17 RBI in 11 May games, with 12 RBI in his last five games.
- C Rafael Lopez (.326) reached base six times, going 3-for-3 with two runs scored, three walks, a double (11) and two RBI (15). It was his third, three-walk performance of the season.
- RHP Jose Veras (2-0, 0.00), making his third appearance with the Smokies as part of a major league rehabilitation assignment, earned his second win after tossing 1.2 scoreless innings of relief. He walked two and fanned one.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (7.27) earned his first save of the season despite allowing two runs on two hits and walking three in 2.1 innings of relief.
- The Smokies were 10-for-22 with runners in scoring position.
- The team scored a season-high 17 runs on 16 hits and recorded six extra-base hits.