Results tagged ‘ Cubs Minor League Recaps ’
Kane County jumped out to an early lead and grabbed the first game of the best-of-five Midwest League Championship Series Wednesday. Here are some highlights:
Kane County Cougars
Midwest League Championship
Kane County leads series 1-0
Kane County scored four runs in the first two innings to defeat visiting Lake County, 4-3, in Game 1 of the MWL Championship Series.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng gave up two earned runs over five innings, fanning eight, to pick up the win.
- DH Mark Zagunis (.389) put the Cougars up 2-1 with a first-inning, two-run blast. He finished 1-for-4 with the homer.
- LF Shawon Dunston (.300) recorded a game-high three hits, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored, one RBI and two stolen bases.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.462) went 2-for-4.
- RHPs Ben Wells (0.00) and Jasvir Rakkar (0.00) each recorded their first hold of the playoffs while combining to toss three scoreless innings of relief.
- RHP Francisco Carrillo (0.00) earned his third save of the postseason with a perfect ninth inning of work.
The Cubs farm system managed a clean sweep of its opponents Sunday, going a perfect 6-0. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (43-38)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Iowa posted its seventh shutout of the season with a 2-0 victory at Colorado Springs.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada continued his strong season, going 6.2 scoreless innings, striking out eight and walking just one to improve his record to 9-4.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara went 2-for-4 with a double (22) to extend his hitting streak to eight games. He’s batting .500 (17-for-34) with four doubles, a triple, two homers, eight RBI and nine runs scored during his streak.
- SS Javier Baez (.239) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (14) and one RBI (46).
- RHP Blake Parker (1.17) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his 17th save of the season.
Tennessee Smokies (8-3)
1st Place (+1.0)
Tennessee scored four runs in the eighth inning to beat visiting Montgomery, 6-1.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee struck out a season-high 10 hitters over seven innings, giving up one earned run and walking none.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.209) went 1-for-5 with a game-high three RBI (20).
- DH Charlie Cutler (.329) and C Luis Flores (.333) each recorded three hits apiece.
Daytona Cubs (8-3)
T-1st Place (–)
After giving up three runs in the top of the 11th, Daytona came back and scored four in the bottom of the frame for a comeback, 9-8 win over Lakeland.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.279) went 2-for-5 with a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the 11th inning.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.288) went 1-for-5 with a team-high three RBI (27).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.285) and CF Albert Almora (.259) each had two hits and two RBI.
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (1-5, 6.26) earned the win despite allowing three runs on two hits in the 11th.
Kane County Cougars (8-2)
1st Place (+1.0)
Kane County won its fourth-straight game, beating host Beloit, 9-7.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.311) hit a two-run triple in the ninth to complete a cycle and break a 7-7 tie. He finished 4-for-5 with three runs scored, a two run homer and four RBI (18).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.262) went 2-for-5 with three RBI (34) and a fourth-inning, solo home run.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.245) and LF Trey Martin (.237) each recorded two hits apiece.
- RHP Corbin Hoffner (2-1, 4.05) picked up the win, while RHP Tyler Bremer (2.57) earned his 10th save.
Boise Hawks (7-10)
4th Place (-4.0)
Boise used a five-run second inning to roll past host Tri-City, 6-2.
- RHP Trevor Graham picked up the win, giving up no earned runs over six innings and striking out four.
- Jeffrey Baez (.185) went 1-for-5 with a second-inning two-run homer.
- 1B Dan Canela (.304) recorded a game-high four hits, going 4-for-5 with a run scored and two doubles (4).
- LHP Sam Wilson (0.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn his first save of the year.
Mesa Cubs (5-3)
1st Place (+1.0)
Mesa scored a run in the bottom of the ninth inning on a Bryant Flete sacrifice fly for a 5-4 walk-off win over the AZL Giants.
- RF Jorge Soler (.583) went 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- DH Kevonte Mitchell (.750) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
- RHP Jeferson Mejia (2-0, 0.00) allowed two unearned runs in four innings of relief to earn the win.
Chris Rusin tossed a no-hitter for Triple-A Iowa. (Photo by Parker Waters)
Left-hander Chris Rusin tossed the first no-hitter for Iowa in 30 years, and Tennessee also continued its winning ways Wednesday. Daytona and Kane County were both on the losing end of their games. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (18-13)
1st Place (+1.5)
LHP Chris Rusin became the first Iowa hurler to throw a no-hitter in 30 years, as the I-Cubs beat host New Orleans, 3-0. It’s the seventh Triple-A no-hitter in Iowa franchise history and the first since the club joined the Pacific Coast League in 1998.
- Rusin walked two and struck out three while tossing 118 pitches (72 strikes). He’s the first Iowa pitcher to toss a no-hitter since August 21, 1984, when Reggie Patterson accomplished the feat in a 2-0 victory against Omaha.
- Rusin (.300) produced at the plate as well, going 2-for-4 with a two-run single in the second.
- Rusin threw the first no-hitter by a Cubs minor leaguer since Eric Jokisch accomplished the feat on Aug. 8, 2013, with Tennessee at Jacksonville.
- SS Javier Baez (.169) recorded a season-high three hits with a 3-for-5 performance.
- LF Josh Vitters (.221) posted his second straight multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
Tennessee Smokies (19-14)
2nd Place (-2.0)
Tennessee won for the ninth time in 10 games, routing visiting Birmingham, 12-1.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee picked up the win, going seven strong, giving up one earned run and striking out two.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.313) recorded his first career multihomer game, going 3-for-4 with four runs, a walk, a double (9), two homers and a career-high six RBI (23). His eight homers on the year lead the Southern League.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.302) tallied his second-straight three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with three runs, a walk, three doubles (11) and two RBI (13). Bruno has now picked up hits in 12 of his last 21 at-bats.
- LF John Andreoli (.313) and CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.210) had two hits apiece, and Ha drove in two (8).
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (0.00) struck out two in a perfect ninth inning of work in his Smokies debut.
Daytona Cubs (10-20)
5th Place (-13.0)
Daytona dropped its third-straight game, falling to visiting Lakeland, 5-1.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.250) went 2-for-3 with a run scored and a walk.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.360) went 1-for-4 with a double (8) and one RBI (14).
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (3.86) struck out two hitters while tossing 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (23-10)
1st Place (+4.0)
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.291) went 1-for-4 and recorded his team-leading 22nd RBI of the season. He’s hitting .333 (25-for-75) with 14 RBI in 18 home games.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.216) and 3B David Bote (.250) had two hits apiece.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.252) went 1-for-5 with a run scored and his third triple of the season.
- RHP Justin Amlung was dealt a no-decision in his first start of the campaign. He’s 2-0 with a 1.42 ERA (3 ER/19.0 IP) in five appearances at home this year.
Tennessee and Daytona both mustered one-run victories Sunday, and Kane County continued to lead the Midwest League. Iowa’s game was called off Sunday because of high winds and freezing temperatures. The makeup game has been scheduled as part of a June 26 doubleheader. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (11-13)
T-2nd place (-4.0)
Tennessee allowed just one hit in a 2-1 victory over visiting Huntsville.
- RHP Pierce Johnson tossed four innings of one-hit ball, giving up one earned run while walking eight in a no-decision.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.227) went 1-for-3 with a seventh-inning solo home run. Geiger’s five home runs on the year are tied with teammate Kris Bryant and six others for the league lead.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.300) went 0-for-3 with a walk and has now reached base safely in 23 consecutive games dating to last season.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (2-0, 1.59) tossed three perfect innings of relief to earn the victory.
- RHP Armando Rivero (1.46) converted his fourth save of the season, recording the final six outs.
- Tennessee pitchers retired the final 16 hitters in order to finish the game.
Daytona Cubs (9-14)
5th place (-9.0)
Daytona completed a four-game sweep of Brevard County, winning in walk-off fashion, 2-1. The Cubs have won seven of their last eight games.
- RHP Tayler Scott got a no-decision, despite giving up one earned run over six innings and fanning four.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.487) recorded his fourth three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.197) reached base four times, going 2-for-2 with a run, two walks, a double (4) and one RBI (7).
- C Willson Contreras (.171) went 1-for-4 with a game-winning RBI single to score Candelario.
- RHP Michael Jensen (1-0, 3.97) struck out four in three scoreless innings of relief to earn the win.
Kane County Cougars (17-6)
1st Place (+3.0)
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng picked up the win, giving up two earned runs over five innings and striking out two. He’s now 2-0 on the year.
- C Will Remillard (.356) went 3-for-4 with a double (6), a home run and three RBI (15).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.253) went 3-for-5 with a run and a season-high four RBI (10).
- DH Daniel Canela (.277), 3B Jordan Hankins (.297) and 2B Daniel Lockhart (.250) all had two hits apiece.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.84) tossed two scoreless innings of relief. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last 8.2 innings of work (four appearances).
Corey Black pitched a gem for Double-A Tennessee, and a big inning pushed Kane County to a victory Wednesday. Daytona surrendered four runs in the fifth in a losing effort, while Iowa had the day off. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s action:
Tennessee Smokies (10-10)
T-3rd Place (-2.0)
After allowing Birmingham to score eight runs in the fifth inning on Tuesday, Tennessee put up eight in the first frame to back six hitless innings from RHP Corey Black. The Smokies beat host Birmingham, 9-1.
- RHP Corey Black went six hitless innings, striking out eight and walking three.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (0.73) allowed two hits and one run over three innings to earn the save.
- LF John Andreoli (.286) went 3-for-6 with a run.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.239) went 2-for-5 with a double (3) and two RBI (8).
- 2B Wes Darvill (.189) was 2-for-5 with a run, two doubles (3) and three RBI (7).
Daytona Cubs (5-14)
5th Place (-10.0)
Host Clearwater scored four runs in the fifth inning to beat Daytona, 6-3.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.500) notched his second consecutive three-hit game (and his third such effort in the last six games), finishing 3-for-5 with two runs, a double (1), an RBI (3) and a stolen base (2).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.321) also had his second straight multihit game, singling twice to go 2-for-4.
- LF Bijan Rademacher, whose .370 average ranks second in the Florida State League, went 1-for-2 to extend his hitting streak to eight games. He’s hit .357 (10-for-28) during that stretch.
Kane County Cougars (13-6)
1st Place (+1.5)
A five-run seventh helped seal a 10-4 win for Kane County at home vs. Beloit.
- RHP Tyler Skulina gave up three earned runs in 4.1 innings pitched, fanning two in a no-decision.
- RHP Justin Amlung (3-0, 2.45) earned the win, throwing 3.2 scoreless innings of relief.
- LF Shawon Dunston (.184) blasted a three-run homer in the seventh, finishing 2-for-4 with two runs, a double (1), a homer and three RBI (6).
- C Will Remillard (.333) went a perfect 4-for-4 with a run, a double (3) and three RBI (8).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.214) added three more hits, going 3-4 with a run, a double (1), two RBI (3) and a stolen base (1).