Results tagged ‘ Frank Batista ’
Right-hander Yoanner Negrin had his finest outing of the winter Thursday, while Christian Villanueva recorded another home run for his squad. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action in the Caribbean:
- RHP Yoanner Negrin had a stellar outing, giving up one run and striking out 11 over 7.2 innings to give the Leones del Caracas a 9-1 win over the Bravos de Margarita. He surrendered just four hits and walked none to pick up his third victory of the winter.
- DH Luis Valbuena went 0-for-2 but drew a walk in the Cardenales de Lara’s 9-1 loss to the Tiburones de La Guaira.
- 3B Christian Villanueva hit his second home run in as many days for the Yaquis de Obregon in their loss to the Caneros de los Mochis. His fifth-inning blast marked his eighth home run of the season.
- RHP Starling Peralta gave up no earned runs in 1.2 innings of relief as the Estrellas de Oriente fell to the Aguilas Cibaenas. He gave up three hits, fanned two and walked none in the effort.
- RHP Frank Batista got the start in the Aguilas Cibaenas win and went three innings. He struck out five and gave up one earned run on three hits and one walk.
- LF Junior Lake was hitless in three at-bats for the Estrellas de Oriente.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua pitched 0.2 innings, giving up no earned runs in the Toros del Este’s loss to the Tigres del Licey.
Javier Baez made his winter league debut Thursday, and Jonathan Herrera put up a solid hitting line. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- 2B Javier Baez made his winter league debut with an 0-for-3 effort, striking out three times, but he did drive in a run on a sacrifice fly in the Cangrejeros de Santurce’s 2-0 win over the Indios de Mayaguez. Strikeouts have long plagued the infielder projected to be the Cubs’ Opening Day second baseman. Though he whiffed in more than 41 percent of his 229 major league plate appearances last year, he does have a history of struggling when he first moves up a level before eventually settling in. Despite his issues, the slugger has undeniable power. He hit 23 homers in 104 minor league games before a promotion to the majors, where he launched another nine bombs in 52 top-level games. He entered the 2014 season as the No. 5 prospect in baseball, according to Baseball America. It’s also easy to forget Baez will be entering just his age 22 season in 2015.
- DH Jonathan Herrera finished 2-fo-5 with two RBI and three runs scored as the Navegantes del Magallanes rolled past the Aguilas del Zulia.
- 2B Luis Valbuena went hitless for the Cardenales de Lara in a loss to the Bravos de Margarita.
- LF Junior Lake recorded a single as the Estrellas de Oriente cruised past the Torors del Este Thursday.
- RHP Frank Batista pitched two scoreless innings in the Aguilas Cibaenas’ loss to the Gigantes del Cibao. It wasn’t the cleanest effort, as Batista surrendered two hits and walked two, but he did manage to strike out one batter.
- 3B Christian Villanueva was 0-for-4 as the Yaquis de Obregon were shut out by the Venados de Mazatlan.
Luis Valbuena had another solid day at the plate, and multiple Cubs relievers pitched scoreless innings Sunday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- 2B Luis Valbuena had a pair of hits, including a double, and scored two runs as the Cardenales de Lara captured a 7-3 win over the Caribes de Anzoategui. The infielder also added a walk.
- DH Jonathan Herrera recorded a hit and scored a run in the Navegantes del Magallanes’ loss to the Braves de Margarita. He also drew a walk.
- C Willson Contreras hit a single, finishing 1-for-3, as the Tigres de Aragua topped the Aguilas del Zulia.
- RHP Loiger Padron pitched to one batter and got him out despite the Leones del Caracas falling to the Tiburones de La Guaira.
- LHP Joseph Ortiz pitched 2/3 of an inning, giving up one hit and striking out one in the win for the Tiburones.
- RHP Frank Batista pitched two scoreless innings as the Aguilas Cibaenas captured a win over the Tigers del Licey. Batista gave up one hit and struck out one to earn his first hold of the season.
- LF Junior Lake struggled at the plate, going 0-for-4 with four strikeouts and a walk, as his Estrellas de Oriente side fell to the Gigantes del Cibao.
- DH Christian Villanueva went hitless but drove in his 16th run of the season on a fourth-inning, bases-loaded walk. His club, the Yaquis de Obregon, topped the Naranjeros de Hermosillo Sunday.
On an otherwise quiet day for Cubs representatives in the Caribbean, Junior Lake recorded a few big hits for his Dominican team. Here are some notes from yesterday’s winter league action:
- LF Junior Lake had a big day at the plate for the Estrellas de Oriente in their win over the Tigres del Licey. The converted outfielder had a triple and a double, notched two RBI, scored three runs and walked three times. He finished 2-for-2 on the day.
- C Luis Flores went 0-for-3 but scored a run for the Estrellas.
- PR Junior Felix Arias entered the game in the sixth inning as a pinch-runner and scored for the Gigantes del Cibao, who were victorious over the Toros del Este.
- RHP Frank Batista was roughed up in two innings, giving up three earned runs in the Aguilas Cibaenas’ win over the Leones del Escogido.
- LF Christian Villanueva went 1-for-4 with a single as the Yaquis de Obregon fell to the Tomateros de Culiacan.
- LHP Joseph Ortiz picked up his second win of the winter in a Tiburones de La Guaira victory over the Navegantes del Magallanes. He pitched 0.2 innings and gave up one hit.
- 2B Luis Valbuena went hitless in four at-bats as the Cardenales de Lara fell to the Leones del Caracas.
Arismendy Alcantara hit a home run off an organizational teammate, and Christian Villanueva was one of the few bright spots in his team’s loss. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean:
- CF Arismendy Alcantara smashed his second home run of the winter off organization mate Frank Batista, but his Tigres del Licey fell to the Aguilas Cibaenas. The two-run shot was his lone hit of the day in three at-bats.
- RHP Batista got the start and gave up three earned runs—including the aforementioned Alcantara homer—over four innings and struck out two for Cibaenas. His ERA now sits at 3.73.
- DH Christian Villanueva finished 1-for-4 with a single and a run scored despite his Yaquis de Obregon side falling 11-2 to the Charros de Jalisco Tuesday. He also managed to draw a walk in the defeat.
Smokies pitcher Eduardo Figueroa returned to action in Venezuela, infield prospect Jonathan Mota contributed to his team in Puerto Rico, and Frank Batista picked up the win in Dominican play. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action around the Caribbean.
Frank Batista, RHP – Batista picked up the win, pitching 1.2 scoreless innings of relief for Cibaenas. He struck out one in his first victory of the winter.
Walter Ibarra, SS – Ibarra was hitless in four at-bats, striking out three times for Mazatlan.
Jonathan Mota, 3B – Mota blasted his first homer of the winter, driving in a pair. He finished 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored in the Ponce loss.
Rubi Silva, CF – Silva went 1-for-4 with a single and a run scored Wednesday.
Greg Rohan, DH – Rohan finished 1-for-4 with a single for Ponce.
Eduardo Figueroa, RHP – Figueroa returned to action for the first time since Oct. 17, pitching a scoreless eighth inning, striking out one and allowing no hits for La Guaira.
Cubs prospect Dallas Beeler dominated on the mound for the Solar Sox while fellow farmhands Albert Almora and Kris Bryant did the same at the plate Monday afternoon. Also, Edwin Maysonet and Jonathan Mota each manned the shortstop position and fared well at the plate for their respective Puerto Rican squads. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Arizona Fall League
Albert Almora, RF – Relegated to ninth in the batting order after some shaky plate appearances over the week, Almora got back on track Monday with a single in his first at-bat in the second inning. In the top of the fourth with nobody on and two out, the outfielder drove a double to left. In his third at-bat, he scored Devon Travis (Tigers) from third on a sharp single to center to finish 3-for-4.
Dallas Beeler, RHSP – Beeler pitched his finest game of the fall, going five scoreless innings, giving up five hits and walking none. He struck out Japhet Amador (Astros) and Stefen Romero (Mariners) and induced three double-plays. Beeler is now 4-1 with a 2.49 ERA.
Kris Bryant, 3B – Bryant got off to a fast start, ripping a double to center in his first at-bat. He advanced to third on a ground-out, and scored on a Tyler Collins (Tigers) sacrifice fly to record the first run of the game. The 2013 first-round pick drew a walk in his next appearance and had a two-out double in the seventh. He walked again in the ninth, finishing the afternoon 2-for-3 and reaching base four times.
Frank Batista, RHP – Batista pitched a scoreless ninth inning, striking out two in Cibaenas’ 8-1 win Monday.
Edwin Maysonet, SS – Batting ninth, Maysonet had a pair of singles to finish 2-for-4, despite a Santurce loss.
Jonathan Mota, SS – Mota went 2-for-5 for the Leones, driving in a run in a 7-3 victory.
Mesa couldn’t get back on track, falling 6-4 to Glendale on Wednesday, but Kris Bryant and a few Cubs relievers made solid contributions. Elsewhere, Frank Batista and Marcos Mateo both pitched well in the Dominican. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s fall/winter league action.
Arizona Fall League
Kris Bryant, 3B – Bryant led off the second inning with a single to center. He scored three batters later on a Steven Souza Jr. (Nationals) double. Bryant reached base again in the third with a walk and in the eighth with a two-out single to right. He finished 2-for-3 on the day.
Lendy Castill0, RHP – Castillo pitched a scoreless fifth inning, walking one and striking out Pratt Maynard (Dodgers) to end the frame.
Wes Darvill, LF – Darvill finished 0-for-4 Wednesday.
Armando Rivero, RHP – Rivero relieved fellow farmhand Castillo and pitched a scoreless sixth inning, giving up one hit, walking one and striking out Marcus Semien (White Sox).
Mesa travels to Glendale Thursday to take on the Desert Dogs. Michael Roth (Angels) will throw for Mesa while Jamie Walczak (Reds) takes mound for Glendale. First pitch is scheduled for 1:35 CST.
Frank Batista, RHP – Batista gave up two hits over two innings, striking out one and allowing no runs in an 8-2 Aguilas loss.
Marcos Mateo, RHP – The Estrellas closer racked up his fourth save of the season, pitching a scoreless ninth inning and striking out one in the 5-3 win.
Junior Lake, LF – Lake went 0-for-3 with a sacrifice fly for the Estrellas.
Hector Rondon, RHP – Rondon pitched 0.1 innings, giving up two hits, walking one and allowing two runs, though neither was earned in a 4-1 Leones loss.
Josh Vitters took part in Wednesday night’s Triple-A All-Star Game, wrapping up the Midsummer Classics for each level of the Cubs organization. Vine Line recapped how Cubs players and prospects performed in their respective All-Star Games.
Major League All-Star Game:
Starlin Castro: 0-for-1, flied out to center, two defensive innings played
Bryan LaHair: 0-for-1, ground out to shortstop, three defensive innings played
MLB Futures Game:
Jae-Hoon Ha: 2-for-2, HR, 2 RBI, R, started at CF
Triple-A All-Star Game:
Josh Vitters: 0-for-1, BB, K, four defensive innings played
Double-A Southern League All-Star Game:
Jim Adduci: 2-for-2, double, RBI, four defensive innings played
Frank Batista: 2/3 IP, 0 R
Justin Bour: 1-for-3, BB, started at DH
Kevin Rhoderick: 1 IP, BB, 0 R
Single-A Florida State League All-Star Game:
Arismendy Alcantara: 0-for-1, three defensive innings
Austin Kirk: 1 IP, 0 R, starting pitcher
Nelson Perez: 1-for-3, double, RBI, BB, started at left field
Greg Rohan: 0-for-4, started at DH
Single-A Midwest League All-Star Game:
Kyler Burke: 2/3 IP, 3 H, 2 ER
Zeke DeVoss: 0-for-1, three defensive innings played
Paul Hoilman: 0-for-2, started at 1B